Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Apartment theater observations & impressions
#158268 02/11/07 07:22 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I wanted to share some of an audiophile newbie’s first impressions and experiences at setting up an Epic 80/500 5.1 system and dedicated apartment theater room using the equipment listed in my signature. Please share your experiences with Axiom/HT setups in small rooms or apartments so I and others may learn and hopefully improve what we are doing.

EP500 - Forget what the manual says about setting the volume to 9 o’clock if you live in an apartment. Try 6-7 o’clock to start with. The low frequency tests on the Avia disk shook, note I didn’t say rattled, but shook the windows, door, dishes in the kitchen and even something inside the HDTV. (what’s Spanish for “earthquake” cause I might have heard someone yelling it?)

QS8s - I suggest liberally experimenting with their placement. I’m using the stands right now (will try hanging them later) and so far have found that in my room they sound best in the back corners with the “null” axis pointed at the center of the listening position. This seems to sacrifice some left/right directionality but more than makes up for it in depth of the rear sound field in my small room. It makes the Mines of Moria sound cavernous.

Denon 2807 - The Auto Setup/Room EQ was nice for a newbie. Sounded great within 10 minutes of having my speakers in place. Followed up with a SPL meter and found couple of questionable settings. It’s a must to run this again any time you change something.

Black out - Best thing I did for the sound field next to getting the Axioms. When the room is blacked out only the screen is visible so there are no reference points in my field of vision to prevent the Axioms from tricking my brain into “feeling” the size of the area the picture and especially the sound field intends. Below deck in Master and Commander “feels” like an enclosed space while the Mines of Moria “feel” endless. I highly recommend this if you have a small room and can get away with it. However, one thing I noticed was that the darker I was able to make the room the more annoying the smallest amount of light even in my peripheral vision became.

Buttkicker LFE kit - Great for feeling the deep bass without setting the subwoofer to shake the whole building. The EP500 does a much better job even with the very low bass but the Buttkicker makes a noticeable improvement at lower volumes.

Oppo 981HD - almost as good as DirectTV HD movies. In blind tests none of my friends have been able to tell them apart until I pointed out what things to look for like the sharpness of individual hairs and blades of grass in the DirectTV HD picture.

DirectTV HD - Disappointing movies and most TV shows. I don’t think that it’s a full 1080i signal. They must be using some sort of compression for the 1080i programming. I tested this buy comparing scenes from Van Helsing recorded from DirectTV vs 1080i and 1080p clips from the internet fed over a VGA cable to the HDTV. I could see no difference between either the 1080i and 1080p from the computer. The picture from DirectTV was not as sharp, detailed or as vivid colors. However, the 720p programming looks great. On the other hand some 1080i programs with studio close-ups of people are annoyingly sharp.

I will add more as I learn and experience more especially about the audio system. Again please add your thoughts on systems constrained by their surroundings so others in similar situations might learn from your experience.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Re: Apartment theater observations & impressions
grunt #158269 02/11/07 10:24 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Buttkicker LFE kit - Great for feeling the deep bass without setting the subwoofer to shake the whole building. The EP500 does a much better job even with the very low bass but the Buttkicker makes a noticeable improvement at lower volumes.

Must... resist... posting... about... tactile... transducer...

Glad everything else worked out for you.

Bren R.

grunt #158270 02/11/07 11:53 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Nicely done, Dean. I gotta agree with you on the 9 o'clock setting on the EP500. Mine is set more like 5:30.

By the way, thank you for your service.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
grunt #158271 02/11/07 01:56 PM
shareholder in the making
Hey Dean, great review, hope you enjoy.

Just a few comments:

EP500 - The manual does not say to start at 9 o'clock. If you read it again, it states to start at the midway point of 9 o'clock. This would be around the 6-7 o'clock position. By starting at 9 o'clock, this would require you to lower your dB levels on the receiver to probably -10dB's to achieve the correct 75dB spl in the room as the other speakers. You may also want to experiment with the trim level in your smaller room.

The Auto Setup - your 2807 I believe has Odyssey Room EQ MultXT, this should provide great results if run properly. My Denon 2805 only accounts for the first primary measurement, whick is very accurate for delay, levels, etc. However, I do not use the Room EQ feature on mine. The 2807 allows for 6 more measurements, which I've read does a great job.

Blackout - Yes a darkened room is a plus if you have a dedicated HT room. Many of us do not. An alternative for front projection owners is to use a 4" border using black velvet material to absorb the light spilling off the edges. Most know here by looking at my pictures that I painted my front wall flat leather jacket black, and the side/ceilings a dark blue. My Ebony Axioms disappear during movie watching.

enjoy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

grunt #158272 02/11/07 03:20 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Great!

Have we seen pics yet?

grunt #158273 02/11/07 05:05 PM
J
J
Nicely done but I can't believe that your Oppo has a lesser quality picture than Direct TV, as you are correct in that the Signal is highly compressed ans the Oppo shouldn't be. Could be your set prefers a 720P signal as its preset definition(lines of resolution).

Here is a very lengthy discussion on the subject.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
bugbitten #158274 02/12/07 02:25 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

Great!

Have we seen pics yet?

Sorry I wanted to post some yesterday but the camera I borrowed from a friend out smarted me.

This is what my screen looks like from six feet behind where I sit with the room blacked out. I’m not kidding when I say that the room is blacked out! The only thing I can see when the blackout curtains are closed besides the screen is me. Short of wearing a ninja suit or watching movies laying on my stomach I’m out of luck. But dark sweat pants and socks remove most of that annoyance.

Also six feet back but with the grills off and a flash. Sadly this setup doesn’t show off the Axioms visually but then that wasn’t what I bought them for. I do like the M80s with the grills off when I’m not watching movies. Silver and Black go well together (Raider fan).

From the back right corner looking to the front left with the curtains open. That blue thing in the foreground is my bed (bachelor pad). It’s actually navy blue like in the next picture just interacted weird with the flash. I do need some real seating. I was thinking along the lines of a futon since it must double as a bed. Any suggestions are welcome.

From the left front corner looking to the back right with curtains open. The RH surround is barely visible in the back corner and right now the EP500 is just off center in the back with the lamp sitting on it. I am finding that the rear sound stage sounds better with the curtains open and it doesn’t seem to hurt the screen image so for now I’m only closing the curtains as far back as my peripheral vision.

Looking behind the curtains and HDTV. I left enough room behind the TV so I can get back there. That white pole is one of the 2x2s used to make the frame holding all the curtains. My lease stipulates nothing nailed or glued to the walls. It said nothing about building a virtual room within a room.

When the curtains are closed all the walls are blacked out from floor to ceiling. The floor in front of the viewing area has a black carpet which is rolled up and stored behind the TV when not in use. The only thing in the front of the viewing area not blacked out is the ceiling. I was making plans for this too, but then I noticed that the stucco doesn’t reflect enough light to show up on the TV screen. And it’s not visible to me since when the screen is bright it’s too bright to allow me to see the ceiling and when the screen is dark not enough light reflects off the ceiling. At this point I don’t see any advantage to be gained by blacking out the ceiling.

I don’t have any lighting hooked up to a remote yet so if I pause the DVD player and the screen saver comes on I can’t see anything. So for now I keep a flashlight by my side. Any suggestions on remote control lighting? I would need it to be something I can take with me when I move.

I want to give a more detailed review of some of the equipment I but feel I need more time using it before giving more than just first impressions.

As always any suggestions are welcome. You have all already been a great help and I hope that I can pay it forward. Once I have some real seating I will sign up for auditions in the Phoenix, AZ area. Right now I think there is only one person listed.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #158275 02/12/07 02:57 AM
local
local
Quote:

[ Any suggestions on remote control lighting? I would need it to be something I can take with me when I move.

i've been thinking of getting a clapper
as the light switch in my bedroom doesnt work. they have a deluxe model that comes with a remote for $25.

??

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Jim_Perkins #158276 02/12/07 03:32 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur

@ Bren R
Quote:

Must... resist... posting... about... tactile... transducer...

Glad everything else worked out for you.

Yeah, and audiophile friend of mine sort of sneered about it but until I upgrade to a “Home” Theater I just cant crank the EP500.

@ Jack
Quote:

Nicely done, Dean. I gotta agree with you on the 9 o'clock setting on the EP500. Mine is set more like 5:30.

By the way, thank you for your service.

At 6 o’clock the 2807 is still setting the EP500 at -2dBs. Have you ever had a chance to really turn yours up? I’m going to take it over to a friends house so we can both hear what it can do.

And thanks man I appreciate it. Turkey was mostly work but I got to spend 2 days in Rota Spain on the way there and 1 day in Sevilla Spain on the way back. Very nice!

@ Randy
Quote:

EP500 - The manual does not say to start at 9 o'clock. If you read it again, it states to start at the midway point of 9 o'clock. This would be around the 6-7 o'clock position. By starting at 9 o'clock, this would require you to lower your dB levels on the receiver to probably -10dB's to achieve the correct 75dB spl in the room as the other speakers. You may also want to experiment with the trim level in your smaller room.

Your right I misread it. Makes me wonder why they didn’t just say about 6 o’clock. The AutoEQ did set it to -12dBs which basically killed the signal going to the Buttkicker until I figured out what I had done wrong.

Quote:

The Auto Setup - your 2807 I believe has Odyssey Room EQ MultXT, this should provide great results if run properly. My Denon 2805 only accounts for the first primary measurement, whick is very accurate for delay, levels, etc. However, I do not use the Room EQ feature on mine. The 2807 allows for 6 more measurements, which I've read does a great job.

Right again about the 2807. I does seem to do a great job. I hope to write more about it later after I use it more. One example of how well it worked was that the first time I moved the M80s apart by about six inches the front soundstage collapsed into individual speakers. When I re-ran the Auto/EQ everything was seamless again.

@ Jason
Quote:

Nicely done but I can't believe that your Oppo has a lesser quality picture than Direct TV, as you are correct in that the Signal is highly compressed ans the Oppo shouldn't be. Could be your set prefers a 720P signal as its preset definition(lines of resolution).

Actually the difference between the Oppo and the HDDVR is only barely noticeable in things like movies and TV shows in 1080i. I mean barely.

On the other hand, studio shots in 1080i seem so vivid they are annoying. An example is watching “Enterprise.” The show itself seems soft when compared to the interviews with the actors at the ends of each episode.

The 720p sports programs look sharper than most TV shows and movies on the HDDVR. However, they are nowhere near as sharp as say they 1080i interviews with the actors at the end of “Enterprise.” Or 1080i or 1080p video from the computer. Might be something to do with the original format of the TV shows vs dedicated video shot for HDTV.

Thanks for the link it’s long and I’m still reading it maybe it will answer this.

@Randy Perkins
Quote:

i've been thinking of getting a clapper
as the light switch in my bedroom doesnt work. they have a deluxe model that comes with a remote for $25.

Nice! Here I am way over-thinking this and you have an elegantly simple answer. Thanks.

Thanks again everyone,

Dean

grunt #158277 02/12/07 04:03 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Nice write up and good looking system. We have another member of the ever growing M80 club

Quote:

Turkey was mostly work but I got to spend 2 days in Rota Spain on the way there and 1 day in Sevilla Spain on the way back. Very nice!

I did a tour of duty in Rota Spain back in 77 with NMCB 133. It was a nice place to live for the nine months I was there. I had a chance to take in a bullfight in Sevilla while there. Interesting to say the least.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters