Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active Vacation Recommendations
#158487 02/13/07 10:56 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
My wife and I are looking for vacation recs in August. It's safe to say we're "weekend" warriors and are looking for a vacation where we can have interesting sports actives but also be able to pamper ourselves as needed, with a spa, pool, gourmet food, etc. Read: when we're not busting a lung, we'd rather not rough it.

My wife is an avid trail runner. She used to play vball, I still do. I run with her but only because of the cardio benefit. I mostly cycle: cyclocross in the winter and road/commuting during other periods. I'm doing a 6-12 hour adventure race this summer and trying to convince the wife to do a sprint w/ me as well.

We've been looking for "adventure" camps that incorporate training w/ a simulated race at the end. Unfortunately, August is a bit late in the season. We'd consider similar types of sports camps as well, but not water related. We get seasick very easily.

We've thought about going somewhere like Utah or Colorado where she can run and and I can ride (road/MTB). Together we could ride, hike, run, rock climb provided the area is suited to that.

We do Hawaii a lot (Oahu, Maui, Kauai) so we'd prefer something different. Though a beach location is ideal. Arizona is probably out of the question, too hot.

Any suggestions for locations, hotels/resorts, tour groups/guides, etc? It doesn't necessarily have to be in the US, but we've only got a week and would rather not waste the down time on the plane.

Thanks.

Re: Active Vacation Recommendations
oldskoolboarder #158488 02/14/07 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Arizona made me think of one for you. How about hiking? Down the Grand Canyon, stay a night or two at the bottom, then back up again. It shouldn't be too hot at the top, but will be at the bottom. The Canyon is beautiful though, if you've never been I would definately put it on your list to check out. I was there in May and stayed one night (at the top). We mostly walked around the rim, but I would love to go back and hike down and up it, assuming I could get myself in good enough shape.

Zarak #158489 02/14/07 12:26 AM
local
local
If you do go to Arizona, may I recommend Sedona AZ.
We went a couple years ago and it was beautiful.
pictures of sedona vacation

If you go to the grand canyon,
dont go when we did, in the middle of the summer.
the smog really takes away from the view.
I now realize the grand canyon should be taken in in early spring or late fall. If you make it through the whole mess of picture above, you will see some grand canyon shots, which show the smog. They said they think it comes from LA, but not sure.

Sedona is not too hot, in fact the pool was rather cool. now southern arizona is a different beast altogether

Last edited by Randy_Perkins; 02/14/07 12:28 AM.

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
oldskoolboarder #158490 02/14/07 12:48 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Before the kids the wife and I did a Club Med in Mexico, tons of activities good food and lots of fun people.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044