Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MP3 on the Home Stereo - what's the best way?
#158530 02/14/07 02:35 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hoping someone in Axiomland can shed some light on this, or at least share success/failure stories.

I'm currently searching for the best (balance of cost vs. quality vs. ease of use) way to make my 6,000+ track MP3 collection accessible from my home theater. I've done this before in two different manners. Once via Tivo and another time via a dedicated HTPC. The HTPC was clunky and I lack a HDTV so it was difficult to use. I don't have a Tivo anymore (satellite DVR), but it was simple and worked well but couldn't do playlists or protected AAC files.

The caveat is that I want to be able to navigate my collection from the theater room and pick songs or playlists with a nice display of Track+Artist. I had thought that the iPod AV dock did this. Apple in their infinite wisdom does not display the iPod menu through the Video out - just actual Video files. Neither I nor my wife really want the iPod in a dock sitting next to the listening positions with cables running 30 feet away to my AV rack. I want it docked by the rack, accessed via a remote and viewed on my TV.

I was excited about the AppleTV device. At least until I learned that a HD TV is required. Another excuse to trade in my current set, I suppose.

I'd sort of prefer a stand-alone solution that doesn't require my PC to be on all the time, but I realize that may not be possible. Since I have a couple of iPods, I'm thinking that there should be a way to use them to hold the music. I've looked at this by DLO - the concept looks great, but the reviews are pretty much dismal. To be fair, it appears they have a new version coming out soon that might address other people's complaints. I've also looked at this , but haven't read any reviews.

Expanding my search into the "I-need-your-PC-to-be-on" camp, I'm looking at the Roku Soundbridge , which looks lovely but doesn't support protected AAC files of which I do have a few. I could go through the process of burning+ripping them to non protected files, of course, but that's kind of a pain. I've also thought about the Logitech DJ, but it's fairly pricey and I've read some not-so-stellar reviews about its software.

So do any other axiomites have a solution in place that's working well for them?

Re: MP3 on the Home Stereo - what's the best way?
PeterChenoweth #158531 02/14/07 03:08 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Have you heard of Squeezebox ?

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
Nachosgrande #158532 02/14/07 03:15 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
No, I had not. Very sleek device - I like the look of it. But $300? Why is this $100 more than the Roku and $50 more than the Logitech DJ? I see that the Squeezebox page discusses sound quality, which is obviously important. Seems this one has more connectors and uses higher quality components?

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #158533 02/14/07 04:42 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
What kind of receiver do you have? Several modern ones (H/K, Denon, Onkyo to name a few) do have add-on iPod docks that will at least display the tracklist, etc on the receiver display.

I've never tried it; I've got the iPod in an IR dock and just listen to stuff on random, skipping what I don't like.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
PeterChenoweth #158534 02/14/07 04:48 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hands down, the Squeezebox is the best! (okay, I'm a homer. I haven't used other alternatives). But, I have it and I love it. It has top quality DACs and handles lossless audio formats like FLAC, Apple Lossless, and WMA lossless, so you get CD quality sound. It runs off an open-source server program installed on your computer. The remote is very easy to use to navigate through your music files and build a playlist while listening. The display can be very large and very bright if you're sitting far away, but the defaults are very readable. Because it's open source, there are a bunch of geeks (used in the most endearing sense of the word) writing little programs like a simulated dual VU meter that displays while your music is playing, or a three line display of weather forecasts and sports scores.

Like I said, I haven't used the alternatives, like the Roku, but I've seen one in person and I much prefer the look of the Squeezebox. Go to the Slimdevices.com forum and ask one of them to give you a comparison, I'm sure they'll jump on it (if there aren't already a thousand posts on the same question).

Nachosgrande #158535 02/14/07 05:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

And it's got great taste in music too! Pink Martini!

PeterChenoweth #158536 02/14/07 06:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Peter
How much do you want to spend and how complex a solution do you want?

I think the challenge is the AAC part, you pretty much have to stick w/ Apple-related equipment.

1) Apple TV. Possible solution but you need component or HDMI input on your TV. It needs your PC/Mac to be on but the ease of use is there w/ iTunes and AAC support. $300 or so.

2) Squeezebox and Roku are also good but I believe those also need a PC running.

3) Sonos is nice but a little pricey IMHO. Easy to use, wireless and lots of function though.

4) HTPC can still be useable w/o an HDTV. If you set up with a VNC client, you can use another computer, like a laptop to control it w/o actually have a screen connected. I use a Mac Mini in my HT to serve up iTunes/music and I control it this way with Apple Remote Desktop. I almost never use the plasma which it is connected to. This is doable on PC's too.

5) Yeah, Tivo is also a good solution. I have a Series 2 and 3 and it's cool to serve music and photos. Granted you have to pay for tivo service too. Here's a thought, maybe you can get a used S2 and hack it w/ PTVNet to enable the music serving but not use it for Tivo, which you then wouldn't have to pay for? But it doesn't solve the AAC problem.

6) I think you're best bet is to go w/ a simple iPod dock like this:

iPod AV Dock

This can connect to any receiver, so you don't need to upgrade to an iPod-specific one. Any of your iPods can connect to it (and charge) and if you have video, it'll work for that too. Also, it comes w/ a remote. If you're so inclined, you could even set it up to work w/ a universal remote like a Harmony or Home Theatre Master.

oldskoolboarder #158537 02/14/07 06:41 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thank you for the reply, oldskool. Very good suggestions!

I have explored most of them, except the hacked Tivo (I even have an old S2 in the basement, somewhere...).

I've seen a Sonos (and Escient Fireball) system in action and they're very slick but I don't really feel the need to drop a grand just to hear my MP3's in the den!

Both the Squeezebox and Roku (and Tivo) require a client to be running on my main music PC. That's not a big deal.

For my needs, the iPod AV dock is a waste of money (IMHO) as it offers no benefits over just plugging in a $2 Headphone-To-RCA cable from Radio Shack. That AV dock *does not* let you do on-screen picking and choosing of songs/playlists. You still have to use the iPod to pick songs. It just sends iPod video to your TV, which I don't have a big interest in (yet).

I actually really like the Mac Mini idea - though it's certainly not the cheapest solution at $600+. I could move my entire music collection over to the Mini and be done with it. I'm an IT guy, so I understand completely about using a VNC client - and that's a great idea to circumvent the non-HD set problem. But I want clean and neat - and I don't really want to require the laptop to be fired up in the HT room just to pick a song.

I am going to wait a couple of months for the new DLO Homedock to be released. Provided it works as advertised and has decent sound quality, it appears to do *exactly* what I want for $150. DLO Homedock Deluxe V2

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
oldskoolboarder #158538 02/14/07 06:43 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Yes, your PC must be on to play your mp3 on a squeezebox. If you use Pandora, Rhapsody, or a multitude of other internet radio stations, the Squeezebox can play those feeds without your PC on.

I wouldn't consider Sonos until you were looking at distributing the music to multiple rooms in your house, and even then, I found the Squeezebox to have advantages over Sonos at a lower price.

As for DRM files like downloads from iTunes, they will not play on the SqueezeBox, but like you said, you can 'unprotect' them with a little effort. Other than that, the software works very well with iTunes. It scans your computer for your iTunes library, plays the music and displays the tags in whatever format you like. I was probably listening to my iTunes library on the SqueezeBox 15 minutes after I took it out of the packaging.

Nachosgrande #158539 02/15/07 02:27 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I have to say that it seems pretty impressive. I downloaded the SqueezeServer and SoftSqueeze at home last night. Pretty cool that you can be up and running with everything except the hardware for no cost.

Anyway, it works quite well. Hooked the laptop up to my HT system and streamed from my music PC, and the sound quality was fine even through my aging laptop. Might have to look into a Squeezebox sometime!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics