#159086 02/18/07 10:49 PM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Greetings,

I've been lurking this web site for quite a while now from the suggestion of a co-worker who highly recommended Axiom speakers. Well, after careful research and reading many reviews, I hit the purchase button on a pair of M60s and a VP100 center, all of which will be arriving tomorrow.

Now I want to use decent quality speaker wire, and like an idiot, did not purchase the wire or banana plugs offered from Axiom. If I order the wire and plugs now, it'll be another week before I can set everything up, and well...that's really a painful idea. I can of course buy wire locally; I found Monster cable (16-gauge) at Circuit City, and found 14-gauge wire at Lowes, which I believe is manufactured by Phillips/Magnavox.

With price not being a purchasing/deciding factor, I guess what I'd really like to know is: what is the gauge of wire that I should consider with the Axioms? Also, I'll be purchasing the surrounds (QS4 or 8's) and EP350 sub in a few months.

Are the two brands I mentioned decent? Am I wasting my time with either? Or should I simply be patient for another week and immediately order the bulk 12-gauge cable and banana plugs from Axiom? Feel free to suggest another brand that I may be able to locate in the metro-Portland, Oregon area.

Many thanks for your replies.

Regards,

Steve

Steve Axiom M60v2, VP100v2, SVS SB12-Plus Yamaha HTR-5990, Oppo DV-981HD Samsung LN-S4692D
Re: Hello, new Axiom owner with a question
PDXGuy #159087 02/18/07 11:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Steve welcome, Don't worry about the plugs or the wire, banana plugs are mainly used for convenience, You can use any wire from 12 to 16 gauge and you won't hear an audible differnce no matter the brand. Get the wire from Lowes and hook those babies up.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #159088 02/18/07 11:26 PM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Thank you very much for your reply. While reading another thread here about bi-wiring, I found a link inside which led to an external website talking about copper speaker wire. Great site, I now understand where wire gauge comes into play. What you said was pretty much identical to what was on that site. It looks like I get to hear music after work tomorrow after all!

This is good news, as there is nothing more sad or dreadful to look at than a new home theater with no Axiom speakers - lol!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Steve

Last edited by PDXGuy; 02/18/07 11:33 PM.

Steve Axiom M60v2, VP100v2, SVS SB12-Plus Yamaha HTR-5990, Oppo DV-981HD Samsung LN-S4692D
PDXGuy #159089 02/19/07 12:40 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Depending on your electronics, I think you may need decent speaker cables for 2 channel, and you can skip a little with the surrounds when you get them. This is what I use for my M60s from Signal Cable You can also try cobaltcable.com. Several people here suggest monoprice.com or bluejeanscable.com Congratulations on your purchas and good luck with the rest.

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
thyname #159090 02/19/07 05:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Buy from Lowes. You'll do just fine. Hit bluejeanscable or monoprice for video cables, but for speakers, just go with a good gauge (lower number) wire and you will be happy. Plugs and ends are more for convenience and looks, so you can always add those later.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
PDXGuy #159091 02/19/07 07:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, get your speaker cable from Lowes, Home Depot or any other discout company. I would suggest #12, but #14 will probably do just as well.

Every once in a while you can get a good deal on "oxygen free" #12 wire on EBAY. You might check it out, but be careful, all is not what it is made out to be on EBAY.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
ratpack #159092 02/19/07 07:44 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Copper is copper.

I just use 12 gauge all the way around. I bought most of it as a big spool from partsexpress, but I know I've just bought bulk cable from the local home improvement store, too. Shipping on speaker wire can be expensive since it is so heavy.

Welcome!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #159093 02/19/07 11:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
tom: well, not exactly. I bought some speaker wire from Home Depot, Lowes or somewhere else, the clear see-through type. It turned GREEN over time. So, I am not exactly sure what happened, but you can guess that the coating reacted with the copper. I threw it away.

The Rat. M80s, VP-150, QS8s, SVS PC 20-39+, OPPO, Onkyo 703s, Harmony 880 Sony 60" SXRD HDTV
PDXGuy #159094 02/20/07 03:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Congrats on the Axioms - I don't think you'll be dissapointed! Kudos to your buddy at work.

Speaker wire is at the very top of the audio superstitions chart. Some folks will tell you that only $500+/foot cable will do, while others say it makes no difference. You will get lots of opinions on way or the other.

I personally use 16 gauge Acoustic Research cables that I bought at the local Best Buy a few years back. Something like $40 for a 100 foot spool. It came with a few pairs of pin plugs, which are nicer than bare wire but can be a pain to position in the binding posts. It's held up just fine over several years - no discolorations, etc.

I bought a couple sets of bananna plugs for my mains, and I really like the ease of hookup with them. Another project will be to someday replace all of the ends with banannas. They make a nice and neat connection.

That said, I am thinking that my next upgrade might be beefier cables for my fronts, and the reason is just for cosmetic purposes. I do like the look of Axiom's cables, and their prices seem pretty reasonable so I may go that route.

Another note: You might want to tell Axiom that your co-worker recommended them. Axiom does have some kind of unofficial referral program - your buddy might get a small check from Axiom.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 02/20/07 03:41 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #159095 02/20/07 04:45 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Quote:

Another note: You might want to tell Axiom that your co-worker recommended them. Axiom does have some kind of unofficial referral program - your buddy might get a small check from Axiom.

It's now a GC for Axiom and it still is nice to get, just for listening to your speakers.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
PeterChenoweth #159096 02/20/07 06:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Peter, if you're considering banana plugs, may I suggest GLS Audio Safe-Connect Banana Plugs.

They are more expensive than similar Banana plugs from Monoprice.com.

But, the GLS plugs have a couple of advantages over the Monoprice plugs. One, they have rubber grips which reduces the possibility of short circuits, and two, they are a tiny bit shorter which should be less strain on your receiver's and speakers' binding posts. Only you can decide if those slight advantages are worth the extra money.

If you click on any of the GLS plug packages, and then scroll down the page, you'll see they are easy to connect and require no soldering. Contrary to what is said on the Monoprice web page, their plugs connect similarly and also require no soldering. For some reason the web page says "Solder Type." I suppose you could solder them if you wish.

I recently had the occasion to use the GLS Safe-Connect plugs when hooking up my brother's system, and was quite impressed by them. They grip the wire (12 gauge) very well, look good, and seem well built. My only complaint was that the tiny red and black strips on the grips, which say "GLS Audio" and identify the positive and negative plugs, are not attached to the plugs well and could possibly come off with repeated usage.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #159097 02/21/07 02:29 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Thanks for all the replies on my question, it's truly appreciated.

But it appears my problem is no longer speaker wire, it's actually receiving the speakers. For three days now DHL has outright lied about my delivery status when I call them. These speakers have been in Portland for 5 days now if one believes the tracking info. I am convinced they have lost the delivery. I've already contacted Noreen about this. There is a reason why you don't see many DHL trucks. Has anyone else experienced this from DHL?

I'm at the point now where I may very well call Axiom on Friday and ask for a refund and let them deal with DHL claims. I need speakers by this weekend and may very well purchase them from a local vendor here in Oregon instead. I'm extremely frustrated with DHL -not Axiom- and would hope that Axiom chooses a different cartage company in the future. DHL has to be the absolute worst to use. At work we never use them for the same reason what I'm going through now.

What grief!

PDXGuy #159098 02/21/07 02:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When I had my axioms they were delivered by Fedex. I'm not sure if they changed over to DHL as of late or if it's just a local thing.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Can you call Axiom right now and explain your situation? I see that their phone service is open from 9am-11pm EST Mon-Fri. No need to wait until Friday to call...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

richeydog #159099 02/21/07 02:47 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I agree I would call them too. I'm sure Axiom will do all they can to make you happy, they are a great company to deal with.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

PDXGuy #159100 02/21/07 05:42 AM
aficionado
aficionado
PDXGuy,

I feel your pain after going through a somewhat similar bout with DHL.

I ordered a second system for my dedicated theater last Wednesday. I got an email later that afternoon stating they shipped and was passed along the tracking numbers. First thing I noticed was, wow, they switched to DHL. Well I thought nothing of it at the time and took note of the ETA, which was slated for today Feb 20th.

Well, at first I thought the signs were great, for they actually showed up on the 19th, but then I noticed that not all of my order was delivered. So, I called DHL only to learn that the my mains never showed up, which is way they were not delivered. They told me they would call me and let me know when they have arrived and to let me know when they would be delivered.

Well they didn't call, and instead just dropped off and left my speakers on my pourch for anybody to take. I was pissed to say the least, not to mention the fact that the boxes look as if they were, well, let's just say they're tore up pretty damn good.

I haven't had the chance to unbox them yet, so I'm not sure if any of the speakers are/were damaged, but that will be on tomorrow's list of things that will get done.

Axiom rules, which is why I remain loyal and true to the company and the products in which they manufacture and sell, but this move to DHL is a very bad one in my own personal opinion.

I just wanted to share my story and let you know that you're not alone. I wouldn't give up on Axiom. I would give them a call and explain everything in full detail. They'll take great care of you and get this problem resolved.

Sutter Cane #159101 02/21/07 12:24 PM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Hi Sutter,

I do hope your speakers are in excellent condition, if not, I'm certain you'll be letting Axiom know.

As an update, after posting my last comment I again called DHL and insisted she contact the Portland office to get a delivery status. Of course, one must assume they actually do this. She came back on the phone and said she was told the speakers would arrive in 30 minutes; by 5:30PM. The office accountant was there until 6:15PM and phoned me to say DHL had not arrived. Again, more lies from DHL. I called them back and told them I need these delivered by 3PM today and of course, they promised they would. If they don't arrive, I'm going to Magnolia Hi-Fi tonight to purchase speakers from them instead. There is no way Axiom is going to get me speakers by this weekend. I'll simply have to insist on a refund and if they don't give me one, my credit card issuer will reverse charges for them.

This is very unfortunate, and I agree with you that Axiom switching to DHL will not bode well for them in the long run...and it won't take long. I spent a LOT of time researching the Axioms, and now due to a very bad business decision by them, it's very likely I'll never be a satisfied owner.

This is the first time I've had an issue with ordering on-line from anyone, and it's also the first time I've done business with a vendor who ships DHL. They're probably OK for overnight envelopes, but not freight.

Axiom, if you actually read these forums, do your -potential- customers a favor by no longer shipping with DHL.

Regards.

PDXGuy #159102 02/21/07 03:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This really is too bad...the speakers you have on order with Axiom are probably going to be better quality than those you get at the store (for a better price too).

Mabey you can get a "trial" from the store, and return them when your speakers arrive (if they arrive).

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #159103 02/21/07 04:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I would contact Axiom asap. You never know what they may be able/willing to do to help you out.

What do you have happening this weekend that makes the delivery so urgent? (Other than of course wanting them delivered as promised, which anyone would understand!)

spiffnme #159104 02/21/07 04:36 PM
Sounds like he's been talking to Axiom.

I would point out that there are 2 days left in the week--don't rush into getting stuff you may not be happy with because of delivery problems. Yeah, it's frustrating--I've dealt with DHL before.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
PDXGuy #159105 02/21/07 05:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The speaker delay isn't Axiom's fault, but it IS Axiom's problem for choosing DHL as their shipper. I'd most definitely call Axiom and let them know what DHL is doing to you. I suspect that Axiom will do everything they can to get those speakers to you and to make sure you're satisfied. They really are great that way, so don't let DHL's screw-up discolor your opinion of Axiom.

If your speakers are actually at your local depot, then I would have to think that there is a very good chance that they'll show up today or tomorrow. It's not like they're stuck at a warehouse clear across the country.

One of my M80's looked like DHL had routed it through Baghdad. This is just the top. The bottom had another slash clear through the front of the box and halfway down each side that looked like someone had taken a knife to it. Surprisingly, no damage to the speaker.

DHL actually delivered my M80's one day earlier than scheduled, which was a nice surprise. But they also just left the speakers on my front porch without a signature, call or email. Kind of bittersweet. Sweet in that the speakers were there and waiting when I got home from work, and that I didn't have to call DHL and make arrangements to pick them up at some depot or take an afternoon off work. Bitter in that they sat on my front porch for 5 hours in plain view of traffic and I would have questioned the driver on all of the box damage. I live in a nice neighborhood, but anyone could pretty clearly read what they were and with a web browser could learn that there was $1,300 worth of equipment just sitting there. I had even requested from DHL's website for a call/email on the day of delivery, which never came. As a side note, UPS delivered my amp on the same day (signature wavier on file) and the driver left it at my back door, away from public view - a nice touch.

Shipping is free from Axiom, so it's hard to look a gift horse in the mouth, so-to-speak. It's pretty easy to assume that DHL under-bid UPS/Fedex for Axiom's business, but Axiom needs to know that in some cases our equipment is not arriving on time or in the most pristine condition.

As a side note, I've listened to everything that my local Magnolia store carries, Martin Logans, Def Teks, Vienna Acoustics, etc. Only the Vienna Acoustics sounded close to Axiom. The top of the line set that Magnolia carries (Mozart Grands) were $2800/pair. They do sound (and look) lovely and I would say that they do sound similar to M80's. However, the Magnolia guy said that it takes 2-3 weeks to get once you order them. Perhaps your store carries them in stock, but don't be surprised if they don't!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
PeterChenoweth #159106 02/21/07 05:32 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Best Buy acquired Magnolia a while back. It is not the same any more.

tomtuttle #159107 02/21/07 05:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My experience was at a Best Buy: Magnolia store.

So Magnolia existed as a stand-alone store before Best Buy? I thought it was just something the Best Buy marketing-drones invented. Learn something new every day!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
PeterChenoweth #159108 02/21/07 05:51 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oh, yeah, Peter. It was glorious.

Magnolia Hi-Fi was started in 1954 in Seattle by Len Tweten. They operated in the Puget Sound area (and other areas like PDX, Spokane, etc.) for years as an independent, family-owned business. Great stores, with smart people and an actual in-house service department. The kind of place where you could build relationships. Yet, they had enough scale to be competitive price-wise.

It seems there are no more Hi-Fi shops (I've always liked the term "hi-fi" so much better than the more modern variants). Now, there are only big box stores, internet-direct, or boutiques. Pity. I liked the passion of those people. I guess part of my affinity for the Axiom boards is the ongoing inability to make new friends around this topic locally.

tomtuttle #159109 02/21/07 06:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Here in Portland we still have Fred's Sound of Music and a couple others. Magnolia was a great place "back in the day."

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #159110 02/21/07 06:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I could be wrong, but I don't think Best Buy bought out Magnolia. I think they've agreed to have a "store within a store" deal at some Best Buy locations. Here in my area we've got a Best Buy with a Magnolia in it, as well as a stand alone Magnolia store.

spiffnme #159111 02/21/07 07:10 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Craig, I know they are still operating in both "formats", but according to the Magnolia website...

Quote:

In December 2000, Magnolia Audio Video was acquired by Best Buy as an independently operated, wholly-owned subsidiary.

Mark, I like the look of Fred's. I'm going there next time I'm in the Rose City. Come to think of it, I could use a beer, er, Road Trip about now.

tomtuttle #159112 02/21/07 07:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ah...nice place to demo stuff. Easy to find better prices elsewhere though.

PDXGuy #159113 02/21/07 07:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
PDXGuy, have you called Axiom yet ? They seem to have more influence with the shippers than we do. I would call them as early as possible.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #159114 02/21/07 09:02 PM
'e said 'e was talking to Axiom, dinnit 'e?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
LightninJoe #159115 02/22/07 12:31 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I went to Fred's Sound of Music a while ago to listen to the Anthony Gallo Reference 3s. It was a fun trip.

PeterChenoweth #159116 02/22/07 12:48 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Well, indeed DHL came through today and managed delivery. However, my worst fear came true: one box had significant damage, resulting in a mashed mid-range...

Now I suppose I'll have to ship the entire speaker back, or can they simply ship a replacement mid-range? Has anyone gone through this? I suppose if I do it it'll void the warranty though. I'm about to find out.

I'd like to give credit to Noreen, who has been extremely helpful, and went above and beyond the call of duty in getting the delivery issue straightened out. She's fantastic!

The reason I needed the speakers is because I'm having a dinner party this weekend and wanted to show off...yes, I'm loaded with ego...but not a bad sort of ego. I'll make do; my brother-in-law is bringing his cheap Polks

Now that I have them, I must say the build quality of the Axioms is excellent in every detail. They're solid, heavy, and the craftsmanship is superb. Really, with the exception of the DHL fiasco and damage, I'm a very happy camper.

As an FYI, Noreen told me in the future I can specify FedEx as a shipper; this is good to know. They don't ship UPS.

OK, off to call Axiom, and thanks to all for the moral support through this, it really helped me cope.

Oh, and thanks for the update on Magnolia. I bought my first stereo system from them over 25 years ago in Seattle...a Yamaha receiver, Yamaha turntable and Advent speakers. Interesting how things change. And yes, they're pricey.

Regards,

Steve

PDXGuy #159117 02/22/07 01:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ouch!

Even with one midrange tied behind it's back, the M60's will still sound good.

Yeah, that's about what one of my boxes looked like too. I bet that Axiom will just send you another driver - a whole lot cheaper for everyone than cross-shipping speakers, I'd imagine.

Have you listened to them? Does the damaged M60 sound different from the good one? Morbid curiosity. Axiom will correct the situation, I'm sure, but in the meantime they might sound just fine for your party. Just leave the grills on .

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
PeterChenoweth #159118 02/22/07 02:19 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Hi Steve,

I'm glad you finally were able to get your speakers. I pray with all my might, that mine didn't receive any damage.

My theater has been under construction for the past eight months as I've been remodeling it. It's not quite finished, two more weeks and it'll all be complete, finally.

However, until then, it's a mess down there and as a result, I haven't had the chance to unbox my speakers yet to see if they're alright, or if they got damaged.

I'm really not overly thrilled about having to unbox them all upstairs in the living room, just to box them back up to take down to the theater room once it's finished. However, I most likely will be doing just that, because I don't feel comfortable waiting two more weeks to unbox them only to find that there was damaged caused during shipping.

PDXGuy #159119 02/22/07 02:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It is pretty easy to swap out a driver. Unless things have changed, there shouldn't be any soldering involved in this process. All you have to do remove the driver, unclip two wire leads, hook up the new driver and you're done.

Unscrew that driver and have a look inside...It's quite refreshing to see the innards of a speaker...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

richeydog #159120 02/22/07 05:32 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Well, it would be nice if that's the case; much easier than shipping speakers to and fro. I'll give Noreen a ring tomorrow and see if that's possible.

Sutter Cane #159121 02/22/07 05:38 AM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Quote:

I'm really not overly thrilled about having to unbox them all upstairs in the living room, just to box them back up to take down to the theater room once it's finished. However, I most likely will be doing just that, because I don't feel comfortable waiting two more weeks to unbox them only to find that there was damaged caused during shipping.

It's probably a good idea to do so. The last thing you want to do is discover damage at the last minute and then have to wait another week or so for replacement or repair before being able to set them up once your construction is completed. Of course I'm hoping there is no damage, but if there is, get it fixed before the theater is completed. Be ready for opening day

PDXGuy #159122 02/22/07 05:55 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

Quote:

It's probably a good idea to do so. The last thing you want to do is discover damage at the last minute and then have to wait another week or so for replacement or repair before being able to set them up once your construction is completed. Of course I'm hoping there is no damage, but if there is, get it fixed before the theater is completed. Be ready for opening day

I totally agree with you. Tonight I opened my two pairs of QS8's, thankfully they're fine.

In the morning I'll be opening my VP150 and M80's to see if they're ok. Actually, I may end up checking out VP150 before I call it a night tonight, but the M80's I'll be checking in the morning.

I'll let ya know if there's any damage. Gawd I pray that there isn't. As of now though, so far so good.

Sutter Cane #159123 02/22/07 07:33 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Ok, damn I'm tired now. lol

Unboxed and checked all my speakers, and I'm so thankful to say that there's no damages whatsoever. Well, to the speakers that is.

One of the grills on one of my M80's is missing two pegs.
It looks as if they broke off inside the, well whatever it's called where you snap them into place, the cabinet I suppose.

So......tomorrow I'll be contacting Axiom about that, and in the meanwhile I'll have to figure out how to get the broken part of the pegs out of the little holes they snap into.

I can't complain too much though, at least all my speakers are fine.

Sutter Cane #159124 02/22/07 07:59 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well, I might as well let it be known, that my EP500 arrived with some pretty major box damage as well. The sub itself was unharmed, but it makes you wonder what the heck DHL is doing to these packages. As banged up as the boxes are, there's always the chance that something could have been damaged on the inside that isn't readily visable.

I'm sure the good folks up North are on top of this, but DHL sure needs a stern talking to. The Axiom gang has worked FAR too hard to earn their impecable reputation. It'd be a shame to have a lousy shipping company tarnish it in any way.

spiffnme #159125 02/22/07 08:59 AM
Okay, I'll have to note that two days after I got the notice that my EP500 had shipped, DHL delivered it. The box didn't really even have a scratch on it and the foam packing inserts were intact(five years ago a couple of them were cracked when Fed Ex delivered my M22s). So, my delivery experience with them was flawless.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

PDXGuy #159126 02/22/07 09:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I had a 6.5" sub woofer go bad on one of my 80s soon after delivery, called Axiom and they had me a new sub woofer delivered in just a couple of days ... after a quick and easy replacement I was back in business.

Should be the same with you PDX, good luck!

Rick
Our Room

smile
Sutter Cane #159127 02/22/07 09:43 AM
J
J
Quote:

in the meanwhile I'll have to figure out how to get the broken part of the pegs out of the little holes they snap into.

Take a drill and small drill bit, drill into the center of the broken peg, next start a screw into the hole a few turns(I like to make sure the thicker part of the screw is in at least 2 turns) then take some pliers and pull on the screw, the broken peg should pop right out. Make sure the screw you use is only a little larger than the drill bit, if it is too big it could make the peg tougher to take out and if its too small, well, thats obvious.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
spiffnme #159128 02/22/07 12:44 PM
I'll chime in as well. My EP500 box had a tear/hole in the middle of one side. The sub itself was undamaged, though. I'm really glad those foam corners are so large and isolate the sub from the box so well. I actually reused the corners when I shipped my SVS sub to its new owner in Texas (thanks Audiogon!). He was very impressed with my packing job.

Sutter Cane #159129 02/22/07 01:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

One of the grills on one of my M80's is missing two pegs.

I think this is a really common problem or Axiom has a bad batch of M80 grills. I had one broken peg on one M80 grill, and someone else around here commented that they just received M80's with broken grill pegs too. Axiom will cheerfully send you a replacement. Yeah, the pegs aren't missing, they're broken. You'll find the broken ends stuck in the speaker. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the peg remains from the hole.

While we're at it... I DO NOT like the new pegs. This is my only complaint about the M80's. My VP150 and M22Ti's were of the old 'V1' variety, and the pegs are simpler, nicer and more solid than these new 'ball-joint' V2 pegs. I felt comfortable installing/removing the old grills as often as my mood changes. I don't get the feeling that these new pegs will last that long - they're so flimsy!

Axiom ought to be using magnetic binding posts for the grills. I've seen a few other manufacturers use those and they're so slick. No holes in the cabinet for a clean look when grill-less, and the grills just 'snick' into place when you install them.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
RickF #159130 02/22/07 06:06 PM
P
PDXGuy Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
P
Quote:

I had a 6.5" sub woofer go bad on one of my 80s soon after delivery, called Axiom and they had me a new sub woofer delivered in just a couple of days ... after a quick and easy replacement I was back in business.

Should be the same with you PDX, good luck!

And I just found out that's exactly what Axiom is going to do for me, which is very good news! Thanks again, Noreen!

PDXGuy #159131 02/23/07 06:50 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Not sure if you've listened to the speakers yet or not, but does the damaged mid-range sound worse then the other M60? If so, have you considered switching one of the VP100 mids with it until you get your replacement? They should be exactly the same driver AFAIK. Two M60's creating a phantom center should be sufficient to show off for the weekend if you prefer to keep away from using the damaged mid.

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020