Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(Mac people) Has anyone looked into this?
#159150 02/19/07 04:22 PM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Have any of you looked into or purchased this?
If so, what do you think?

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
Re: (Mac people) Has anyone looked into this?
bray #159151 02/19/07 06:57 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
There's not enough data on it, and it seems overly expensive for what it does, especially when you count the cost of electricity for keeping your rig and this halfway computer on. It would largely depend on what video you can send to this thing; if you're limited to purchased h.263 stuff from the iTunes store, it's remarkably silly. I doubt that it is (technically), but there may be no other content out there to put on it.

Please, someone come prove me wrong.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
bray #159152 02/20/07 12:40 AM
old hand
old hand
For me if it's Apple it means - stay away! I just went through a nighmare of a year with Apple when I purchased a Power G5. Yes, the system has its bonuses, but on a whole it is a terrible company to deal with. I akin them to snake-oil salesmen who take advantage of their consumers. They have a horrible customer releationship with people. They also have a terrorible bravado which stands in their way of seeing things from the consumer's point of view. Their coverage for their products is also limited compared to other companies. I finally just sold my G5 and just washed my hands of Apple for a lifetime.

ditcin #159153 02/20/07 02:01 AM
aficionado
aficionado
But seriously, tell us how you really feel.

bray #159154 02/20/07 03:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Pretty cool idea. I know that it is only one of several download services trying to really get rolling right now. Netflix is getting a bit of attention with its download service (included in the regular price of their service), but no HD, and limited selections right now, but AppleTV probablly is very limited too in what they are initially offering. The benefit of the AppleTV would be that it plugs right into your display, where Netflix downloads to a PC (or HTPC). Like I said, there are others with boxes that plug into your TV, but it is a bit too early to jump on board with any one of them right now, unless, again, you happen to already have Netflix, and a HTPC...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
ditcin #159155 02/20/07 04:03 AM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

For me if it's Apple it means - stay away! I just went through a nighmare of a year with Apple when I purchased a Power G5. Yes, the system has its bonuses, but on a whole it is a terrible company to deal with. I akin them to snake-oil salesmen who take advantage of their consumers. They have a horrible customer releationship with people. They also have a terrorible bravado which stands in their way of seeing things from the consumer's point of view. Their coverage for their products is also limited compared to other companies. I finally just sold my G5 and just washed my hands of Apple for a lifetime.

I'm really surprised at the experiance you had with with Apple.

All my dealings with them have been well above average.
Not saying they dont have any room for improvement.
I think Axiom should start a side business giving siminars on customer service.

Back to the subject at hand.
I really like the idea of being able access and manipulate my MP3 collection right from my television but for the cost , I'll just walk 10 steps to my office for now.

Last edited by bray; 02/20/07 04:09 AM.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
bray #159156 02/20/07 05:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
First off, I have to admit, I am an Apple fanboy in recent years. But Mr. Jobs, in my eyes is a marketing genius, in the likes of George Lucas. You may not like their methods, but you have to admit, it works. The iPod was not the first MP3 but it sure is the most successful.

ditcin, not sure what happened, but from my experience and dealings w/ Apple, that is an exception to the rule. My situation is different because I live w/ in 5 minutes of 2 separate Apple Stores. Another 20 miles and there's another 2 stores, not including the one on the Apple campus. I have
had to bring my Mac in for various reasons, some of them mine. I like that I can schedule an apt online and show up at the Genius Bar in 15 minutes to get my Mac fixed. I show up w/ no receipt, no power cord, no display etc. If there's a part they can swap out, they do it on site. Try that w/ a Dell, or even at Best Buy or Fry's.

I deal with their products a lot and I understand where they are going w/ their products. The Apple TV is the first real attempt to get into the living room. They are not the first digital media adapter, Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo all beat them to the punch. But once again, content is king and Apple has it w/ iTunes. If you know how to use iTunes, you know how to use this box.

I was at MacWorld and saw the iPhone (GORGEOUS), Aiport Extreme Base Station (have it), and Apple TV. The Apple TV is pretty much a Mac Mini, shaved down. It only connects thru it's iLife-like interface. It'll show your iTunes movies (including ones you've imported into iTunes), songs, trailers on line, etc. It can pull them from your Mac or someone else's, wirelessly or wired. The wireless is the new 802.11n, which has been tested already to about 130 Mbps. The thing to keep in mind that iTunes vids are barely 480p at this point, so PQ can be suspect but much better if you rip your own DVDs. This will surely improve. I have 4 on order and will be happy to post a review after I play with it.

I also now use the new Airport Extreme. It uses multiple antennas so range is much better than before. Because it uses 11n, you can run in the 5GHz so my throughput is much better at that frequency, no 2.5 GHz interference. Also, it supports a USB hard drive, so you can now attach ANY kind of hard drive for read/write access, you're not limited to a FAT/FAT32 to share w/ PCs. You can share an HFS drive w/ a PC transparently. VERY cool.

oldskoolboarder #159157 02/20/07 05:27 AM
bray Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
oldskoolboarder
Thanks for the input.
Keep me posted on it.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
bray #159158 02/20/07 05:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
no prob.

When you think about it, $299 for a Mac Mini is a pretty good price too...

BTW, did you see my Mii's?

oldskoolboarder #159159 02/20/07 12:54 PM
old hand
old hand
I too live very close to an Apple Store (about 8 mins) There too I only experienced nothing but problems. The G5 I ordered had Kernal Panics from just after 30 of getting it. My problems however started with I conjifured the unit on the phone - I was completely taken by the rep who "guided" me into features I didn't need - raking up the price. He even lied to be about the "Apple Care" and called it Apple Care Pro" stating that it not only extended my coverage for 3yrs, but allowed me access to the Genius Bar at a local store for advise and lessons. It wasn't until I tried to book a session at the Apple Store that I found out I taken. I also found out that I was supposed to get a red box that said Apple Care w/the agreement. I was charged, but never got it. I contacted Apple and then found out he left the same day he made my order. It was confirmed that he never set out my Service Plan, but was charged. The people at the Appple store also couldn't answer my question about a program which I inquired about in terms of features - they simpley kept saying, "Mac is used by the pros, of course it can do what you want." Yet not one could show me how, but they expected me to laydown $1,200. Finally when the power board on my G5 went the in home tech (this was after the Apple store couldn't fix it btw) told me I not only needed to purchase the $1,200. program but another $800. to do what I wanted. Next, while searching on the Apple site I found, almost hidden, a recall of sorts on the G5 - concerning the power boards! (My serial number was one) Yet, no one admitted it, the the tech, the online help, the store and even the phone techs. It took 3 months for techs to fix my G5 and only because I had mentioned the power issue. In fact, it was this same issue that was causing the Kernal Panics - but I was told to do a recovery because my programes were not "layered" right. (I thought that was the problem with Windows?!) I also found out one can't extend coverage beyond the 3yrs either. And when I when to get an isight web cam I was told Apple discontinued it, yet most of non-apple cams don't work well with the Mac and the webcam built program. I never had this problem with Dell XPS. I got 4yrs coverage. (latter with the option of renewing yearly, in home & phone.) 24/7 phone help, and even third party phone tech aid. (With XPS all tech phone tech aid is domestic.) I now await my new XPS HTC which has specs that have out shot the G5 in reports/reviews (especially in Adobe Photoshop) If it werent' for the iPod, I think Apple would have rotted. I know there are people out there who swear by Apple, but I wonder if their aware about the lack of support (Apple only coveres 3yrs because they feel anthing beyond that is outdated.) Not everyone can spend $5,888.oo on a system every 3-4 yrs like I did.
What someone else said here is right, Apple should take lessons from Axiom on customer service and product support.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters