S
spish Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Quote:

Quote:

Spish, you are a brave man to enter an audio forum with a speaker cable post.

That's what I thought too. I guess you haven't been lurking around here a lot.

meh, whatever. should I have politely introduced myself and waded into the fray? or posted something about how amazing Axiom is? I'm sure the company is wonderful and I'm looking forward to finding that out for myself. flame away if you like. it's all good.

-s

Re: Anti-Cables (and hello!)
spish #159260 02/20/07 04:49 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm just going to use 12/2 Romex next time.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
spish #159261 02/20/07 04:50 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

meh, whatever. should I have politely introduced myself and waded into the fray? or posted something about how amazing Axiom is? I'm sure the company is wonderful and I'm looking forward to finding that out for myself. flame away if you like. it's all good.

-s

No need to praise Axiom to stay in good graces around here, but singing the praises of $1200 speaker cables will get you some strange looks.

JohnK #159262 02/20/07 04:57 AM
S
spish Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Quote:

Spish, hello and welcome to you, too. You're sure to enjoy your M3s when they arrive, but as far as speaker wire, the usual 16ga lampcord supplies everything that they need. Hopefully you were just kidding about those cables, because that isn't the way speaker wires work. For factual information on the point, a study of this explanation by a veteran audio professional is worthwhile.

the advice is appreciated but come on over and let's compare 16ga lamp cable to my VD's or the Anti-Cables. anyone that tells me that cables don't make a difference need to A/B my VD's with some lamp cable. you listen with your ears, not your eyes. i'm not here to argue about cables and i'm well aware of the controversial nature of my original post. i was simply stating what i've heard (perhaps your ears aren't well?) and asking if anyone has heard the same.

jeez, the speaker cable debate is like the abortion issue. throw it out there and you get advice from everyone no matter what your actual question is. (oh this should get interesting now!)

and no, i'm not delusional or kidding. the beer's on me should you decide to come over!

-s

spiffnme #159263 02/20/07 05:02 AM
S
spish Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-s

No need to praise Axiom to stay in good graces around here, but singing the praises of $1200 speaker cables will get you some strange looks.

awesome! i'm used to strange looks. like I said, when I bought them $1200 was easy to consider. now i'm married.

what i find particularly frightening is that Virtual Dynamics now sells a set of $30,000 speaker cables. yep, that's 4 zeros. that's insane.

-s

-s

spish #159264 02/20/07 05:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Virtual Dynamics now sells a set of $30,000 speaker cables.

Hmm, what should I do this weekend? Buy some speaker cables, or make a downpayment on a new house. . .

Decisions.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #159265 02/20/07 05:13 AM
S
spish Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
Quote:

Quote:

Virtual Dynamics now sells a set of $30,000 speaker cables.

Hmm, what should I do this weekend? Buy some speaker cables, or make a downpayment on a new house. . .

Decisions.

proof that there are still those with more money than brains.

-s

JohnK #159266 02/20/07 05:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
JohnK,

I hope YOU were kidding about using lamp cord.

I understand your position on "speaker cables" in general.

BUT,.....use that brown lamp cord, here's what will happen.......the few strands of wire left, (after stripping) tarnish quickly, turn green,
and before long....the speakers go.......crackle, crackle.

Sorry, this is better.

Larry

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
spish #159267 02/20/07 09:18 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Quote:

the advice is appreciated but come on over and let's compare 16ga lamp cable to my VD's or the Anti-Cables. anyone that tells me that cables don't make a difference need to A/B my VD's with some lamp cable. you listen with your ears, not your eyes. i'm not here to argue about cables and i'm well aware of the controversial nature of my original post. i was simply stating what i've heard (perhaps your ears aren't well?) and asking if anyone has heard the same.

jeez, the speaker cable debate is like the abortion issue. throw it out there and you get advice from everyone no matter what your actual question is. (oh this should get interesting now!)

and no, i'm not delusional or kidding. the beer's on me should you decide to come over!

-s

Welcome!
I would really like to hear what $1200 speaker cables can do for sound. But I have better things to spend that kind of money on, wish you lived closer. I could always grab my 4 gauge booster cables and hook them up, should give me incredible sound.

Seriously, I would like a little more scientific proof that the cables make that much of a difference, like a waveform pattern or something. As it is said that you could be hearing it better because you want to hear it better to justify your spending that much money on cables.

Please try some cheaper 14gauge vs the expensive cables hooked up to the M3's and let us know if it makes a difference with a small bookshelf.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
tomtuttle #159268 02/20/07 01:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I'm just going to use 12/2 Romex next time.

OK, I'll throw my neck on the chopping block here as well...
I just happen to be in the middle of re-wiring the lights in my HT room (Before Katrina we blew on average 1 bulb a week. After seeing the hack wiring job I know why now - so new lights and new wire) and have about 200' of 12/2 Romex left on the spool, so after reading the wire myth link regarding no difference in number of conductors, I just had to test the resistance ... With my trusty FLUKE meter I got 0.40 Ohms, for a solid wire! The same distance of the highly stranded Axiom wire (which I bought for the fronts, by the way, and gladly so) would net 0.68 Ohms.

With that said, I recall a college physics lecture that showed that the majority of sound frequencies, as an electrical signal, travel on the surface of the wire. This was measured as the load on the amp. The greater the number of strands for a given gauge, the easier the job the amp had to hit a particular spl. Of course this wouldn't be the first time I've found out that something I learned in college was complete crap.

Scott

Scott

My HT
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617