Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Simple audio setup, tight budget, audio newbie
#159443 02/21/07 08:16 AM
A
Aplus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I am not very knowledgeable in the area of audio, and I'm not really aware of most of the options out there, and all the complexities involved in an audio setup. I have a small room less than 19 feet across by about 10 feet wide with a height of about 8 feet that I want to put some quality speakers in. The room is also open onto the living room, but the sound is mainly meant to be heard within the confines of that space.

I mainly will be playing MP3s, games, movies and TV on the speakers. I tried out the Audioengine 5 speakers, and while I loved the audio quality and even the bass I got from it, the built-in amp couldn't handle a few hours of music at about maximum volume, so I thought perhaps I should go with a separate amp and speaker solution.

The issue here is quality and price, as usual. I'd like the best quality for the price, but my budget is rather limited. I've found that Axiom also caters to the cost-concious consumer and I've read good reviews so far, which is why I'm considering a pair of M3 v2 bookshelf speakers. If there are any A5 owners/listeners here, can you let me know how these compare to the A5 speakers?

The problem for, though, is that I absolutely cannot spend more than $600 on my entire setup. Now, keep in mind that this is a simple setup. I just want a pair of speakers for stereo, but I realize I also need an amp. Are there any recommendations in this area? I have seen some Sherwood as well as JVC amplifiers at reasonable prices. Would these fit well with Axiom speakers? Also, do I require a subwoofer with the speakers or will the bass from the speakers suffice?

Lastly, I would appreciate any recommendations, tips or suggestions that could help me out with this matter.

Re: Simple audio setup, tight budget, audio newbie
Aplus #159444 02/21/07 08:58 AM
shareholder in the making
A+, welcome. It's unlikely that you'll find anyone here who's heard(or even heard-of)the A5s. Their site doesn't have any performance specs for the speaker itself, just a few for the amplifier, and since the M3s are such fine speakers it seems unlikely that the A5s would be comparable.

My suggestion would be to order the M3s and try them without a sub at least at first, which is probably the only way that you'll know if the bass will suffice.

I'd also suggest that you get an HT receiver to allow for future expansion into surround sound, even if you intend only stereo at this time. An excellent buy is the factory refurbished Onkyo 504 , which is available for $159 after applying $10 credit for registering in "Club Onkyo", and has free shipping.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #159445 02/21/07 01:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here's another "welcome."

John has covered the bases very well, but I'd like to add a "what he said." Most of us here understand the concept of "limited funds" very well. In a room the size of yours, if you are truly interested in HT, you will eventually want to build a surround system with a subwoofer. But, when you are on a budget you just do the best you can, with what you can afford. And, John's suggesting the Onkyo 504 and a pair of M3s, as a way to start, is spot on.

If you'll check the Auditioning Axioms in Your Area thread in the "Hearing Things" section of the forum, you may find someone near you who is willing to audition his speakers for you. An audition would give you a good idea of the Axiom sound, and demonstrate what a surround system can do.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #159446 02/21/07 03:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yep. Count me as another "what he said". M3ti's and a decent/affordable receiver.

If you do not have any interest at all in moving to 5.1 in the future, you could look around for a 2-channel stereo receiver, or integrated amp.

The M3ti's are $288/pr via the factory outlet. That leaves you $300 for an amp/receiver. A quick look at audiogon.com found a few pieces that fit that bill (though most were sold - meaning keep your eyes out for them, as 2 channel integrated amps in this price range get scooped up FAST.) I did find this one that's listed at $360obo.

Last edited by spiffnme; 02/21/07 03:16 PM.
spiffnme #159447 02/21/07 05:45 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
It sounds like he needs a source too. I picked up an open box Toshiba dvd player at Best Buy for 14.99. It does a pretty good job for what it is.

I would look at a Sherwood receiver if stereo is what is wanted. This would keep within budget and it really is a decent receiver for the money. We have had one for a few years now. My son beat the heck out of it and it just keeps running.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #159448 02/22/07 03:14 AM
local
local
He talked about playing MP3 and games, so maybe he has a computer that he is using as a source ?

I originally had the entry level Yamaha 5.1 receiver, which best buy has on sale for $179. Lots of people say good things about the onkyo also, but I have never heard one, which doesnt mean anything.

Last edited by Randy_Perkins; 02/22/07 03:15 AM.

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Jim_Perkins #159449 02/22/07 06:03 AM
A
Aplus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you all for your replies. They really are helping this audio newbie get his bearings. When we recently remodeled the TV room and bought a new 42" LCD TV, I decided to look for some quality speakers for the first time. We've never had any really "Hi-Fi" speakers in the house-- just your regular stereo system, which is okay for most things, but I wanted to put something with a bit more quality in there.

The A5 speakers were the first ones I tried. They might not seem like much, but they are quite Hi-Fi compared to everything else I have. As the story goes however, they haven't worked out so I'm once again looking, which is a bit frustrating, but it really helps to get some advice from people who are in the know.

Quote:

JohnK said:
A+, welcome. It's unlikely that you'll find anyone here who's heard(or even heard-of)the A5s. Their site doesn't have any performance specs for the speaker itself, just a few for the amplifier, and since the M3s are such fine speakers it seems unlikely that the A5s would be comparable.

Well, in their defense, they've gotten really good reviews and I do like the audio quality from them, but the built-in amp is probably the weak point. If the amp hadn't failed (it later turned back on, but it just can't handle a party-type situation, for instance) I wouldn't be looking for new speakers now.

Also the company seems very respectable. They've offered me a full refund, even though I bought them almost five months ago. Here's one of the reviews I read before I got them. I'm sure they would rock as Hi-Fi computer speakers, but I've found that I need more.

BTW, which review sites do you guys recommend?

Quote:

Ajax said:
In a room the size of yours, if you are truly interested in HT, you will eventually want to build a surround system with a subwoofer.

I may very well be. Those combined surround sound speakers look sweet. Right now I just don't have the money, though.

Quote:

spiffnme said:
The M3ti's are $288/pr via the factory outlet.

How's that? Could you explain the extra letters? I only see these bookshelf speakers on the website. And the M3 model there sells for $320. Are there any more models? And where do I buy these from? I thought buying through the website was buying direct.

Quote:

spiffnme said:
A quick look at audiogon.com found a few pieces that fit that bill...

I appreciate the tips on buying used, but to be honest with you, I'm a little wary of buying used until I'm a bit more knowledgeable and confident as far as audio equipment is concerned. I'd rather have a warranty, even if it costs me a little more now.

Quote:

Randy_Perkins said:
He talked about playing MP3 and games, so maybe he has a computer that he is using as a source ?

Bingo! Sorry I didn't make that clear before. Basically it's my Mac mini, my Wii and Sat. TV which will be using the speakers. My Mac mini doubles as a DVD player, and it does a decent job at it.

I need the amp and speakers to be able to take a few hours of continuous dance/salsa/etc. music for the occasional party, and yet be able to output some decent sounding instrumental music for relaxation. Basically, I'm looking for a lot of versatility.

Aplus #159450 02/22/07 06:48 AM
Disregard the extra letters on the M3, there's just the one model. Craig(spiffnme)was referring to buying them from the Axiom Factory Outlet(click the factory outlet on the store page)which sells new speakers said to have a slight cosmetic defect(which most buyers, including me, have had great difficulty in finding). It takes on the order of 2-3 weeks for them to become available, as noted on the outlet page, and buying through that route is strongly suggested if there's no time urgency.

I'll reiterate my suggestion of the Onkyo 504 from Shop Onkyo, which comes with a full factory warranty.

Looking at AV items, my view is that detailed lab measurements are generally more significant than the subjective listening review, and sources such as Sound&Vision, HomeTheater Magazine, Audioholics and Stereophile which often include such measurements are preferable.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Aplus #159451 02/22/07 09:34 AM
J
J
I would just ike to recommend a few brand names for receivers that you could look for on your own as most have really good entry level amps, Pioneer ( a friend just bought the VSX516K and it works really well $239cdn), Yamaha(Just saw an ad for the RXV359 for $239 as well) Denon, (Onkyo as mentioned), Harmon Kardon. Any of the low end ones from them will do the job you want at the price you are looking for.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
JohnK #159452 02/22/07 10:43 AM
A
Aplus Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ah thank you for clearing that up, JohnK! Very good info! I am not concerned with aesthetic perfection either, and if it will save me 10% off, then I have no problem with it!

Thanks for the amp recommendations, akewash. I still find them all a little high-priced for me, but it will still fit into my budget if I forget about a sub for the time being.

I've been trying to narrow down my choices, and I've come to some sort of preliminary list. I wish you guys could give me a good idea of how the following compare to the M3s and why I would want to go with the Axiom:

HSU BB-1

AV123 X-LS

Ascend CBN-170 SE

Hopefully I'm on the right track with this list.

Aplus #159453 02/22/07 12:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi and Welcome,
Thought I would add something from a relative new guy, although sooner or later that excuse will wear thin for me.

There are two ways to compare speakers before you buy them. The most obvious being, listen to them and decide what you like. Yes, there are technical things that a professional will listen for in order to 'define' it's quality but the bottom line is, will they make you happy.

The other takes some research and understanding. I did a lot of web reading on understanding sound and understanding how companies test and document their speaker specifications. A well respected speaker company will publish all of their electronic specifications and they will also include stats on how the speakers behave across the audible spectrum. You can learn to tell a good speaker from a bad speaker this way but again, people have different tastes when it comes to the finer details.

In short, when on a limited budget, do a little research but don't get hung up on the details. If you start to scrutinize, your budget will start to depress you. Audition as many speakers in your price range as you can. If you can audition them in the same listening area, that's definitely preferred.

Finally, I don't own M3s but I can tell you that if the quality per dollar is compatible to the M60s then it is definitely worth ordering them for the 30 day trial. Listen to others during the trial then choose the one that suits you best.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters