Auditioned Klipsch what are comparable Axiom's
#159704 02/24/07 04:04 AM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
I just finished auditioning the Klipsch RS42 surrounds, RC62 center and RB61 bookshelf's. Would a good comparison, or maybe competition might be better, in the Axiom's be the M22, QS4 and VP150 to the above Klipsch line up? Since I've never heard the Axiom's before and the Klipsch is, from what I've been told, similar in sound, ie: bright and upfront!?

I'm trying to get a feel for the Axiom's sound to see if I want to purchase. Mind you, I was very impressed with the Klipsch speakers. I auditioned my music and a movie I'm familiar with to compare with my present speaker HT setup. In reality I only use this system for HT but I want speakers that are musically equal in performance! Compared with my speakers the Klipsch were definitely brighter but not much more dynamic! The Klipsch are probably coloring the sound due to the horns and could be conceived as almost "harsh" but not in a bad way. Since the Axiom's don't use horns I assume their highs sound more laid back.

I know what I'm asking would be better served by an actual audition of the Axiom's but don't know anybody that has them, let alone even heard of them! I just want to know if anybody is familiar with the Klipsch and what are their impressions compared to the Axiom's listed above?

Truthfully, I was only looking for a new center but I am aware that matching the fronts and center is very important. This doubles my cash outlay if I look at the M22's and the VP150. I can always add the QS4's later. Actually the Klipsch RC62 and RS42's were very impressive. The RB61's were solid performers but not in the "I gotta have these" category.

Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Auditioned Klipsch what are comparable Axiom's
zuter #159705 02/24/07 09:47 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Check the hearing things forum for a possible audition for Axioms in your area.

I would bet you would like the set up you picked out for Axioms and yes it wouldn't be as fatiguing as the horns are on the Klipsch. I haven't heard those ones but the horns are definately 'brighter' than the Axiom tweeter.

I went with the QS8's (as when I was looking the QS4s had a different tweeter and sounded a little different but they went to the same tweeter acrross the entire line now)to go with my M22's and VP100 and the QS series is second to none for surround envelopment. The quad firing fills the rear seating area fully.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
zuter #159706 02/24/07 03:27 PM
Hey Zuter, Welcome...

Yes it is important for your center and left/right speakers to be matched. This will help give you a better soundstage and seamless transition.

I had some Klipsch floorstanding RFII's at one point. A friend of mine now owns them. At the time I thought they were great, because the speakers they replaced were very cheap infinity bookshelfs.

I then upgraded to Axiom m60's, which were in a whole other league from the Klipsch's. When I decided on m60's, they were compared against B&W 703's, Paradigm Studio 7's, and NHT ???. All of the 3 above were also better than the Klipsch.

Klipsch is a good Retail type speaker in my opinion. The HORN sound is not for everyone. If you want clear, accurate, detail of your music, then I would look at a dome tweeter design.

Many people will tell you Axiom's are bright, and compare them to Klipsch. I just don't see that explanation as being true.

I currently own m80's for my mains and most likely will never change again, that is until they come out with m100's.

I would also suggest you check the audition thread to see if you can swing an audition in your area. That is all it took for me.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #159707 02/24/07 03:28 PM
Also, keep in mind if you order from the factory outlet you get 10% off. In addition, all orders of 5 or more items get another 5%. This may help.

Randy

jakewash #159708 02/24/07 06:23 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Quote:

...to go with my M22's and VP100...

Thanks for the response.

So are you recommending the VP100 over the VP150 for a better match with the M22's?

Also, what size is your HT room? Mine is 20' x 11' x 7.5'! I'm running a VSX81 ELITE Pioneer amp @ 110w x 7, or rather x 5 since I only have a 5.1 setup. At -15 (volume) it's very loud but I usually run them @ -25 to -20. I'm looking for speakers that can handle these lower volumes without sacrificing clarity or punch/dynamics. For night viewing I'd prefer even quieter levels while still retaining the dynamics of the sound track...don't want to bother the neighbours...too much This is why I'm looking at the musical ability as well even though I'd only be using them for HT. Personally I find speakers that have an "effortless" quality in their "sound-stage" better suited because the sound doesn't just "fill-in" as your turn the volume up - they are simply louder. I know asking this of a "bookshelf" is demanding a lot but this is why I'm considering the M22's! The reviews say they have this quality that is only bested by much more expensive speakers.

I'm looking at the VP150 for the same reasons, since most of the sound comes from the center in HT! Have you tried running the center only? I do this when auditioning. I then have them add the mains to see how the sound changes. If there is a big difference I eliminate that center from my list. As I said, I'm really looking for a "great" center as my current one isn't up to the task! If I get an Axiom center then "logically" I'd need matching mains. The M22's are preferred so the center must be able to keep up! Since you have the VP100 with the M22's I'd like to hear your experiences with them. I know you like them but do you secretly wish you'd sprung for the VP150 instead?

Again thanks for your reply and I look forward to any comments you'd like to share!

zuter #159709 02/24/07 06:54 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Yeah, I auditioned some Klipsch and while clear for HT found listening to them for too long they were a bit too( whatever you want to call them, bright, shrill, fatiguing, etc)

The NHT I audiitoned were more of a classic but muffled/warm sound at higher volumes. Some PSB Image series again were classic and warm, but not as clean and clear as the M22's, V100, QS8's that Jakewash let me listen to. All were good speakers, but my preferences were the Axiom, followed by PSB, NHT then Klipsch in that order. Just my tastes.

SirQuack #159710 02/24/07 07:02 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Quote:

I then upgraded to Axiom m60's,

Yeah, I'd love to get towers too but then there is the "wifey" factor...not a hope! That is why I'm looking at the M22's. They are a little smaller than my current bookshelves and I'll be wall mounting them to consent with "she, who must be obeyed" wishes:)

My current setup I use a center, 4 bookshelves (matching) and a large 400w sub. Since listening to the Klipsch I'm looking seriously at "dipole's" speakers for the rears but will have to wait as my budget won't allow for this as well.

Quote:

Many people will tell you Axiom's are bright, and compare them to Klipsch. I just don't see that explanation as being true.
Quote:

Since you've owned Klipsch I take your comments more seriously. I've had friends with older Klipsch and thought they were better suited for large halls. But technology has come a long way and the newer lines are a big improvement. One of the main reasons I looked at the Klipsch was due to reviews that stated: "if looking for a mix of music and HT (50/50) then go with Axiom...but for more HT, then Klipsch!" As they were just more dynamic.

I would also suggest you check the audition thread to see if you can swing an audition in your area. That is all it took for me.

Yeah, auditioning is really the only way to know for sure! I just wanted to get opinions before pursuing this option...really hate to bug someone but Axiom leaves me with no choice, other than their 30 day trial! But shipping and costs only eat into my time and budget.

ctown #159711 02/24/07 07:19 PM
Z
zuter Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Z
Quote:

The NHT I auditioned were more of a classic but muffled/warm sound at higher volumes. Some PSB Image series again were classic and warm, but not as clean and clear as the M22's, V100, QS8's that Jakewash let me listen to. All were good speakers, but my preferences were the Axiom, followed by PSB, NHT then Klipsch in that order. Just my tastes.

My current setup could be categorized as warm and classic also....but not when I first got them! They were incredibly clear and crisp but that was 15 years ago and the sound/speakers have fatigued since. My hope is that newer ones won't suffer the same fate with new technology and materials!?

I was going to look at some Totem's but the price is outrageous! Perhaps I'll still audition them, just the same. I've read you should listen to some "high end" stuff just for comparison to other "cheaper" products. That way you'll know what a good speaker is supposed to sound like and be better able to pick a good compromise!

zuter #159712 02/24/07 10:29 PM
J
J
I have not wished I had the 150 but there are many here that have the 150 with M22s and they say it matches perfectly as well, If the size of the speaker is not a factor(WAF) then I do believe the 150 might be the better way to go for you, as you seem to be trying hard to avoid upgrades and those that have heard the 100 and 150 do say the bigger one is a little more dynamic, as expected with the bigger driver array and enclosure. As I said you really can't lose.

Dipole surrounds won't compare to the quad firing QS series and I hope there is someone near you that can give you an audition, Axioms really are as good as the reviews.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
zuter #159713 02/24/07 10:42 PM
My wifey factor let me just upgrade to m80's and an ep600 sub.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082