Print Thread
Rate Thread
Aperion 633T vs Axiom M80
#159951 02/26/07 06:24 PM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Greetings. I just registered here looking for feedback to make a speaker purchase decision. I posted the following on the AVS and the Aperion forum and wanted to put it here too.

So thanks to an AVS forum member I found a few stores to check out in my local area. I will audition whatever I can, but never the less, I have limited audition options as far as B&Ms go. It is looking like I am going ID. AV123 is out because they have more or less sold their stock out due to the clearance sales so they can move. I am sure the rockets are badass, but due to stock limitations I have ruled them out for the time being.

I am now closely looking at Aperion and Axiom. I realize there are other quality IDs out there, but these are the two I am settling on. I have extensively searched these and other forums and have not seen a good discussion about the merits of the 633Ts vs the M80. I am an audio noob with about 1 month worth of self education under his belt. I ask what the members of this forum think of the objective construction of these speakers and voice their opinions. For instance the M80s have more drivers than the 633Ts, but are they of inferior quality? I do know I would rather have fewer quality drivers than more of a cheaper driver. Here are the links if you want to check them out.

Aperion 633T

Axiom M80

This is a comparison of the two companies flagship speakers (Some may consider the 533PT the flagship, but the 633 has better drivers and I want a seperate subwoofer solution). The price difference is $150 per speaker with the M80s being $1300/pair and the 633Ts being $1000/pair. My question was how can Axiom have 3 more drivers per speaker than the Aperions for only $150 difference? Are there corners being cut? Or are we paying a little extra for the nice finish on the Aperions?

Last edited by bhull; 02/26/07 06:34 PM.
Re: Aperion 633T vs Axiom M80
bhull #159952 02/26/07 08:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
>>My question was how can Axiom have 3 more drivers per speaker than the Aperions for only $150 difference? Are there corners being cut? Or are we paying a little extra for the nice finish on the Aperions?

Simply put, because Axiom is the best deal on the internet for audiophile grade speakers.

No doubt the M80s with trump the Aperions. Axioms drivers and tweeters are top notch and you'll be hard pressed to find a better tower speaker than the M80 for a better price, I dare say that you won't find one.

cruise on Audioholics.com and see where the Axiom lineup fits in with their reviewed speakers.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #159953 02/26/07 09:16 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You're always going to be paying extra for a real wood finish--you can do the same with Axioms.

What you should do is try to listen to them yourself. I have not heard the Aperions, but the M80s (and 60s, and 50s, and 22s, and 3s, etc...) which I have heard and now own make me say, "Wow!" If the speaker's not doing that for you, it's not the right speaker for you.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
bhull #159954 02/26/07 09:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
First off, welcome.

I have no experience with Aperion but I will weigh in on the M80. First let me state that I don't neccesarily believe that more drivers always equals a better speaker. There are a lot of aspects to the design.

What I can tell you is that the M80 (and all of Axioms products) are of excellent quality. Once I heard the Axioms in my home I knew I had found the speakers that I will use in my theater for a long, long time. It was so refreshing and enlightening to be so satisfied with a piece of audio/home theater equipment, that I could not imagine ever replacing it. I don't know that I could say this about anything else in my setup. Other gear will come and go, but the Axioms are here to stay.

Aperion's look like a very nice speaker, with a real wood finish you would pay more for with Axiom. I would say it compares closer spec wise to the M60 however. Hard to tell for sure without a response graph, or dB refrence points on there frequecy response numbers.

The best thing you can do is audition both sets for yourself. The Audition thread in the Hearing Things forum will help you locate an M80/M60 owner in your area.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you find best suits you.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
bhull #159955 02/26/07 10:35 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
I tried to find a reveiw for the Aperion 633 with some kind of measurments but was unable to. I did however find one featuring the Aprion 632 bookshelf. If they are at all like Axiom and they keep the same sound signiture through out the line then it would give some idea of what to expect from the 633.

Here is a measurment for the Aprion bookshelf.

Here is a measurment of the Axiom M22.

Now here is a measurment to the Axiom M80.

See how the M80s and M22s have a familar flat response. The little blurb around 150HZ on the 80s are due to a close mike measurment and is not true to what to expect. I would have to say the Axioms would be truer to the source. So if Aperion does the same you can get an idea how it measures up to the Axioms.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

bhull #159956 02/27/07 12:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
bhull, I don't think you can go wrong with either choice,I own the Aperion 532's that I use as rears in my 7.1 setup. Aperion makes a fine speaker as does Axiom, what made me decide to go with Axioms over Aperions was I simply compared the amount of awards and praise for both lines as well as the dedicated following of it's owners on both forums.
Those two things alone were enough to sell me on Axiom, and I certainly will never regret my decision.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Wid #159957 02/27/07 01:38 AM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

I tried to find a reveiw for the Aperion 633 with some kind of measurments but was unable to. I did however find one featuring the Aprion 632 bookshelf. If they are at all like Axiom and they keep the same sound signiture through out the line then it would give some idea of what to expect from the 633.

Thank you for the excellent responses so far! Please keep them coming.

I was able to find a frequency response curve for the 633T from a review found at Ultimate AV mag here

There were some other response curves in that article also.

I also found some independent measurements of the m80 here

This provides a nice comparison. Am I right in saying the response of the m80 not only being flatter, is better because it maintains its line at approx 90db instead of approx 85-87 db on the 633? This would tell me the m80 is more sensitive.

bhull #159958 02/27/07 01:59 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Quote:

This provides a nice comparison. Am I right in saying the response of the m80 not only being flatter, is better because it maintains its line at approx 90db instead of approx 85-87 db on the 633? This would tell me the m80 is more sensitive.

What the graph shows is that in comparison to the 633s the M80s would be truer to the music being played, or movie. The 633s does not have the flat response the M80s exhibit. The M80s 95db rating combined with their 4ohm impedance will allow the M80s to play louder with the same amount of power than what the 633s will. Plus they, the Axioms, are rated to handle more power. One thing the Apreion website does not show is the +/- 3db rating for their speakers. This is a bit concerning to the true range of their speakers.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup