Axiom Subwoofer question
#16060 07/25/03 06:37 PM
D
dacka Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Hi everyone. This is kind of a dumb question so bear with me. Why do some sub's have an LFE input and others do not? It looks like the Axiom's only have a line level and speaker input. And is there any reason that you should run speakers from the sub instead of the receiver, if you have the option of doing either?
One more: there is an subwoofer output on both my DVD and receiver. Which should I use?

Re: Axiom Subwoofer question
#16061 07/25/03 06:57 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
LFE, Low Freg Effects, Line Level, just different names for pretty much the same thing..
Speaker inputs on the sub are for those that do not have a receiver with a dedicated sub (lfe) line out.. You would run both left and right spkr lines to the sub, and then to the left and right spkrs.. The sub handles the highs and lows with it's built in passive crossover..
Line level is the better way to go..
As for which out to use, go with the receivers.. Then, no matter what you are listening will be broken down by the receiver and sent to speakers AND sub.. If you use the DVD players sub out, you will only have access to LFE via disks played on that unit.. And, probably won't have the extra features offered on the receiver, such as setting the low pass cutoff.. IE: 80hz, 90hz, 100hz, etc..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#16062 07/25/03 07:06 PM
D
dacka Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
D
Thanks! That helped to clarify my understanding of things.

#16063 07/25/03 07:30 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Dack, as Mikey said, use the receiver sub out so that all sources, not just the DVD player,are affected. Also, if your receiver has the provision for bass management at 80hz or so, there's no good reason to instead run the speakers through the sub.

The "LFE" input on some subs is somewhat unclearly named. What that input does is to bypass the internal crossover on the sub so that the receiver crossover can do its job without interference. On those subs, such as Axioms, which don't have such an input(or a switch to bypass the crossover)most if not all of the benefit can be obtained by setting the sub crossover all the way up so as to get it as far out of the way as possible.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,000 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup