Print Thread
Rate Thread
A question to Pioneer VSX-84TXSi owners
#160632 03/04/07 10:45 PM
M
Meloman Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi everybody. I'm a new owner of Axiom speakers (M60's, QS8's, VP150), but cannot enjoy them yet as still deciding on a receiver. I'm going to use HTPC as music source and, since my PC does not have digital sound output, I'm considering buying a receiver with USB input. I beleive receiver would do DAC much better than my PC's onboard soundcard -that's why I don't want to use analog connection. I don't feel like buying another soundcard with SPDIF output either since 1)it's better to invest to a better receiver than to a second soundcard, 2)there would be still PCM to SPDIF conversion in PC and than back in the receiver, while receiver connected via USB would actually work as external sound card and PC's sound card would be bypassed entirely.
I'm thinking therefore about Pioneer VSX-84TXSi- it's one of those few receivers in this price range ($1000-$1500) that have USB input for streaming audio. Of course, it is not the main reason why I'm considering this receiver, but it's really a 'nice to have' feature, while this receiver is packed with lots of other great features. I found a lot of positive reviews on this model online, besides, I have a Pioneer PDP, so I could use the advantage of SR+ as well.
I still, however, cannot find some details about USB input of this receiver online, so I would appreciate if someone could answer these questions that I have:
1) Is that possible to set VSX-84TXSi so that when I switch it to USB input, it would switch video input as well (in other words, I will connect PC's DVI to 84's HDMI and when streaming audio from PC over USB, I want to be able to see video signal from PC on my TV too). AFAIK there is a separate button on remote control for USB input, so I'm just concerned how this input is compattible with the other ones;
2) When using USB input, will such basic IR signals as "play", "stop" etc. from Pioneer's remote forwarded to receiver change their codes to control Windows Media Player or whatever I'll be using for playback and be transmitted back to PC over USB? The manual for another AVR with USB input, H/K AVR 745, clearly states that it will, but there is very little information in 84's manual about it's USB input. I beleive, it should do so, as again, it's like an external soundcard, but not quite sure.
I certainly may be wrong in understanding how it all works, so, any comments and/or suggestions of any kind are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Re: A question to Pioneer VSX-84TXSi owners
Meloman #160633 03/06/07 03:01 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Meloman, congrats on getting the speakers! It must pain you to see them there and not have any sound coming out

I can't provide any input on the receiver you mentioned but I sent you a PM with another Pioneer Elite receiver on sale near you. I think it may be the previous model, but the price seems really good.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #160634 03/07/07 04:28 AM
M
Meloman Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Quote:

Meloman, congrats on getting the speakers! It must pain you to see them there and not have any sound coming out

I can't provide any input on the receiver you mentioned but I sent you a PM with another Pioneer Elite receiver on sale near you. I think it may be the previous model, but the price seems really good.

Hi HAY, thanks a lot! You're right, after getting the speakers, I cannot delay buying the receiver any longer- just cannot see them staying in silence. I've sent you a reply in PM.

Meloman #160635 03/07/07 04:24 PM
K
old hand
old hand
K
I just picked up my Pioneer VSX-84TXSi yesterday after being a month on backorder. Hopefully it doesn't have the LFE problem.

Anyway, to get to one of your questions... From having only an hour or two to fool around with the receiver, I believe that you cannot push one button and have the USB audio and DVI video playing at the same time. You can, I think, push the button for USB audio, then push another button, "video source select" or something like that, which will switch the video source, but not the audio source. If you don't mind all the button mashing, I'm pretty sure it's doable. Haven't tried USB audio, but I did a similar thing with the iPod connection and it worked fine.

Ken. VaSSallo Series M60v2, VP100v2, QS8v2 SVS SB12-Plus
Krich #160636 03/07/07 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I believe that you cannot push one button and have the USB audio and DVI video playing at the same time. You can, I think, push the button for USB audio, then push another button, "video source select" or something like that, which will switch the video source, but not the audio source. If you don't mind all the button mashing, I'm pretty sure it's doable. Haven't tried USB audio, but I did a similar thing with the iPod connection and it worked fine.

Universal remote that does macros.....
Indoor life would be to unbearable to go on without one.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Meloman #160637 03/10/07 06:37 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Don't know if you saw this POST but another owner of the receiver you're looking at...

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082