Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: So what are you cooking tonight?
danmagicman7 #161041 04/30/07 01:07 AM
shareholder in the making
There are many variations. For example, do you put in the entire packet of seasoning, or do you spare your taste buds of the sodium overload and only use half? Do you add some veggies, such as peas or chopped spinach? Perhaps some tofu?

Ah, the days of ramen... How I do not miss them.

danmagicman7 #161042 04/30/07 01:34 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Ha ha. Oh, man, this thread just reminded me I need to eat something.

pmbuko #161043 04/30/07 01:48 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>For example, do you put in the entire packet of seasoning, or do you spare your taste buds of the sodium overload and only use half?

Actually, I know people who use the noodles from one pack in another dish, then use the leftover seasoning baggie to make double-strength ramen. It's only about 170% of your daily sodium allowance. It's always good to accumulate a little salt in case you have to go without for a few days.

Using sriracha sauce is a healthy alternative

Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try !!

Last edited by bridgman; 04/30/07 01:51 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #161044 04/30/07 03:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sriracha sauce is the bomb.

It goes on Pizza.

It goes on Ramen.

It goes on Popcorn.

It goes on...hmmm...that's about all I cook in college.

Funny story...about that...from my blog a while back:

"So, I had the brilliant idea of putting hotsauce in - you guessed it - my popcorn. However, at the time I didn't think it would work to well to put the hot sauce in the bag after it was popped, because it wouldn't really spread well. So, I had to..."modify" the popcorn bag. Armed with an exacto knife and another tool to be told about later...I made an incision along the inside fold of the bag, just enough to stick the hotsauce in and put a nice big squirt inside. So, I have this gaping whole in my popcorn bag, and it needs to be fixed. So, what does Daniel grab for (I call myself Daniel by the way, you guys call me Dan, yea). That's right, I go for Duct Tape, because it obviously fixes everything. So, a simple small strip to cover up my surgical-quality insicion, and off I go to the kitchen on our wing to cook up some spicy popcorn goodness.

So, it's sitting there in the microwave, cooking, and spinning. I notice it is taking quite a while for the popcorn to even start popping, but I hear a constant sizzling and an odor which I presume is hot sauce, so I deem everything as going well. A few minutes later, I smell a very strong smell, which smells like hot sauce to me. Smells good, I think. The bag is swelling, starting to pop, after about 5 minutes in the microwave. All of the sudden I realize an awful smell starting to arise. I just think its the hotsauce, so I keep on cooking the popcorn. Probably around 8 minutes, the bag is half popped, and it smells like someone burned hair, a baby diaper and indian food all together. I quickly turn off the microwave, rip open the bag, and noticed the very shriveled duct tape. Soon, I have people coming along from me and saying...what is that..SMELL? I quickly rip open the bag, taste the fruits of my labor, and throw it in the trash room. I decide to go back to my room and...evade the smell. Soon I hear a bellowing, "DRAZBA! WHAT DID YOU DO?" Yea, I won't tell the rest of the story. No, I didn't get a swirly.... Hah, just kidding, really nothing happened and the smell died away...after an hour.

So, moral of the story? Never, ever, put duct tape in the microwave, even if you think it's a good idea at the time. Unless you want to stink up a place, then it's a good idea, use a whole role of duct tape."

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, couldn't resist telling the story though :-)

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #161045 04/30/07 04:40 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

Never, ever, put duct tape in the microwave

Solid college learning, right there.

I have discovered The Answer regarding grilled, boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

Brine them in 1 litre water, 1/4 C Salt and 1/4 C Sugar for about 45 minutes prior to cooking. Pat dry. Grill for only about 3.5 minutes per side (NG Weber, YMMV). Moist and delicious.

My wife made Joe's Special for me this weekend. Love it.

We're getting Sweet Onions now, from Texas and Georgia. What a country.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #161046 04/30/07 05:24 PM
I have yet to enter the world of brining. Thanks for providing incentive.

My current best method for grilled BSCBs involves olive oil, salt and pepper (and/or other seasonings according to my mood), medium heat, and transferring them at the exact right, just pre-done moment to a waiting foil-lined (shiny side toward the meat, people!) vessel to finish steaming in their own juices.

pmbuko #161047 05/06/07 02:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I discovered yesterday that the "unidentified object" the builders left behind is actually a temperature probe for my oven. An hour later I had a 2-1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder blade roast (didnt' know they came that small ) slathered with jerk paste for an overnight marinade, and now it's in the oven in a meatloaf pan tented with foil at 275F.

I put a bit of water in the bottom of the pan; figured it boiled off; added more, then realized there was about 3/4" of water in the bottom of the pan. Fortunately the meatloaf pan has a built-in rack so the roast is largely out of the water / jerk paste mix.

After 2-1/2 hrs the internal temperature is up to 149F so this might actually work. The dogs are sleeping in front of the oven, presumably dreaming about pork. What a life !!

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #161048 05/06/07 06:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite

Anyways, where did I put that picture. Porcupine... pork... ahh, here we go.

5 hour cooking time for a 2-1/2 pound shoulder roast. Must have peeked too many times. I was having trouble with the probe near the end, seemed like it got stuck at 190F after I unplugged then re-plugged it, so I gave it another ~20 minutes after reaching 190F.

The pork pulled apart pretty easily but maybe another 20 minutes in the oven would have been ideal. I'm a bit new to this "pulling pork" thing (unlike Peter, apparently ) so while I was enjoying the first of the Pulled Pork on a Bun the dogs were finishing off the last of the Pulled Pork on the Floor.

Anyways, I get the stuff on the plate, dogs get the stuff in the foil, and I'm not sure what to do with the stuff in the pan 'cause it'll probably coat and kill my septic tank. Best idea so far is to take it outside and use it for pork-scented patio torches

Last edited by bridgman; 05/06/07 07:03 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #161049 05/21/07 05:52 PM
Well, I couldn't find a BBQ (not smoker) specific thread, so I'll ask here:

I mistakenly bought a sirloin tip roast (round tip roast) yesterday, misreading the package like a moron. From what I can find online, my best bet is to roast it in the oven, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone had any luck with one of these on a bbq. I meant to get a tri-tip, but like I said, I'm a moron...

I suspect that it doesn't have enough fat on it to cook like a tri-tip (it's been trimmed), but it looks like a decent piece of meat.

BTW, I got my Spirit E310 on Saturday...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #161050 05/21/07 06:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ken if you are not certain that the roast has much fat for cooking (a bit lean), i suggest the slow and sure method for doing lean or tough meats. Cook it like a roast but around 300F, no more than 315 for x hours (depends on its weight but usually about 15-20 min per pound is a guesstimate from the Joy of Cooking book). We usually use a lid or foil cover but with no water in the pan.
If you REALLY think the roast is too lean (say like ostrich meat) you can drape a few pieces of bacon over the top, hold them in with toothpicks to add some smoked flavor and extra, self basting fat.

good luck with that

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082