Print Thread
Rate Thread
Another soundproofing question
#161420 03/12/07 11:36 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
hey guys,

this isn't really a "soundproofing" question, but more a sound reduction question.

Behind my living room is an estimated 7 by 4 entrance where the door to my apartment. It doesn't have its own door to the rest of the apartment.

The rear wall of it (which is 129 inches long, 110 inches high) is shared with a neighbor behind me who is older and retired. She told me that she often hears the bass of my music and it's annoying. I played some music with some good bass, stood in my entrance way, and of course, the bass there is very loud compared to the rest of the apartment due to its shape and size.

So I'm wondering, what's a good, cheap way to reduce the vibrations on that wall? My floors are hardwood, but concrete underneath. I'm considering putting down a carpet in the entrance way to reduce vibration there. But otherwise, any good cheap ideas? If course I'd like to double the wall up with some insulation and QuietRock, but for a rental, that might be going too far

Re: Another soundproofing question
ravi_singh #161421 03/13/07 02:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ravi,

for your situation, there aren't many options. The only way to stop sound transfer is through adding mass and air space.

That is the only way to stop it. One of your options might be to double up the drywall on that wall, just regular drywall. It will help a bit, not as much as quietrock, or a layer of green glue between doubled up drywall.

Green Glue Company is much cheaper than quiet rock and have amazing results. google it to find out more.

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Re: Another soundproofing question
Hutzal #161422 03/13/07 03:52 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Green Glue looks interesting, I'll look it up some more, thanks.

I know I won't stop ALL the sound from getting through, I just want to lessen it. I have considered putting carpet on the floor and maybe some sort of mural carpet on the wall to suck up some vibrations. I know it won't be great but surely it will muffle the sound somewhat.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,478
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044