Advice on receiver changing
#161860 03/16/07 03:50 AM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
I have recently bought the rest of my speakers for a home theatre set up. I have a pair of M22s, the VP100, a pair of QS4s and an EP175. I also have a Samsung 42" DLP. Not bad for a NYC apartment. My receiver is a Pioneer VSX-43TX.

Now for the problem. My reciever has a problem where it sometimes takes an hour or two before it starts passing audio. I can bring it in for repair but figure it would cost at least $200. I can always leave it on 24/7! But, the receiver cannot pass HD video and more modern receivers have more features such as the ability to correct for picture/audio sync problems. I noticed the Sherwood R771 on the axiom website.

Would the Sherwood R771 be sonically superior to the Pioneer? I want it to sound good for music ( mostly jazz and classical ) and for movies ( explosions ).

Is it worth the $600 or am I just looking for a new toy?

Any opinions?

Re: Advice on receiver changing
Bassman #161861 03/16/07 04:09 AM
shareholder in the making
Bassman(my wild guess is audio, not fishing), welcome. If you don't want to have the 43 repaired or put up with the inconveniences you now have, a replacement is certainly justifiable. No, the 771 or any other similar amplifier won't be sonically superior, since if your 43 is otherwise still in good condition it amplifies transparently. The advantage would be in features, not basic amplification.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Bassman #161862 03/16/07 12:29 PM
Quote:

My reciever has a problem where it sometimes takes an hour or two before it starts passing audio.

Now THIS is where an A/C line Conditioner / Filter would help. Just make sure the front controls on the filter are set for "Ex-Lax" to smooth those electrons.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #161863 03/16/07 01:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Now THIS is where an A/C line Conditioner / Filter would help. Just make sure the front controls on the filter are set for "Ex-Lax" to smooth those electrons.

Gawd, do we have to bring that thread into this too? That A/C thread needs to die.

That's a sweet setup for an apartment. Congrats on that!

I have a VSX-43TX too. When you say that it's taking an hour to pass audio, what is actually happening? Everything else looks good, just no sound? Can you switch inputs? When you adjust the volume, do the volume numbers change but no sound? Have you checked the A>B speaker switch? Does the receiver make the second 'click' a few seconds after you turn it on? Make sure you don't have a bad or crossed speaker wire somewhere, as maybe that would cause it to go into a safe mode.

I think it's still a great receiver and still pretty competitive compared to most others in its class. The only things about the receiver that I dislike are the lack of on-screen setup, it isn't XM-ready, it isn't iPod ready, and no HDMI. Lacking an HDTV, the HDMI isn't an issue yet for me, but it sounds like it is for you. Other than that, it's a pretty solid receiver. As far as fixing it goes, it's one of those 'where's your limit' kind of questions. Personally, I'd spend up to about a hundred bucks or so to fix it, but after that, I'd start to take a hard look at just getting a newer receiver with a more current feature set. The 43TX is 4-5 years old.

Oh, and be careful using the words 'sonically superior'. There are several sensitive people around here that will tar-and-feather you if you even suggest that different receivers produce different sonic characteristics in your music. My opinion is that they do make a difference, but I won't go any further than that.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 03/16/07 01:24 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #161864 03/16/07 03:36 PM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should bring the receiver in for repair.

When I turn it on the display looks correct but no sound. If I switch inputs there is no sound, even when switched to radio, not even white noise. I'm pretty sure it is not a wiring issue because once it is passing audio consitently then it is fine from then on. I think that the input stage is the problem because since I went surround I noticed that when the problem is happening the Dolby input indicater goes to the default PLII, even when I know the show, or DVD, is Dolby Digital.

It seems to cure itself. I had opened the receiver and checked for loose boards but there arene't socketed boards. Also the dust level seemed low.

As far as input switching I have 2 component inputs on my tv and can switch those between cable and DVD. Not a huge deal. I realise that sonically superior can be a loaded question. If the problem can be solved, which I'm sure it can, then I will live without a few features for now and just enjoy my setup!

MarkSJohnson #161865 03/16/07 03:38 PM
B
Bassman Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Quote:

Quote:

My reciever has a problem where it sometimes takes an hour or two before it starts passing audio.

When I bought my DLP tv the guy at the store that rhymes with "West Guy" told me to buy a certain cable because the electrons pass faster through it!

Bassman #161866 03/16/07 11:43 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Mmm, particle acceleration.

Bassman #161867 03/17/07 03:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bassman,

It has been my experience that only when playing at very loud volumes will a receiver make a difference. I have tried my Axioms (M80's) with 4 different amps, and only a Harman Kardon at a loud level sounded better and had more bass than the others. Otherwise, the sound is the same.

If you do not want to get your Pioneer fixed, and want to spend as little as possible, you can try looking at www.ecost.com, or harman kardon's official website and pick up some factory refurb receiver. Ecost carries Denon, which is a very good brand, IMO. I also find Onkyo to be worth the money.

The Sherwood Newcastle's definitely look great. I may purchase their R-972 when released this fall.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044