Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Feeling Ignorant Today…..
#162258 03/21/07 11:55 PM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
OK, so here's the deal: I've got seven computers here in my business/home, but they're not networked. I DO have a wireless router that's providing internet to two laptops, but no network has been setup. My main business computer is left on anytime I'm home and awake.

I have two, 400-disc jukeboxes that sit in my HT rack, empty and unused and I'm considering getting a Squeezebox or a Roku Soundbridge to replace them. My intentions are mostly to listen to my own, ripped discs but might also enjoy internet radio or Pandora. I ditched XM last month because I'm tired of their poor quality, but will miss the variety of music. This move will ease the loss.

Unfortunately, I'm a novice on this particular type of item, so I have some real "dumb guy" questions:

1- Am I correct that the squeezebox, in general, seems to be the favored model? I did research the recent thread on it and that seems to be the case…

2- I have a series 2 TiVo that isn't connected for any networking capabilities. Is it worth trying before purchasing a unit like those above, or do they have advantages over the TiVo system? Any particular advantages/disadvantages to the TiVo system for this?

3- Ditto the above for an Xbox 360. I have the 20 gig hard drive on it, but wish it had a 300 gig HD option so I could just rip all my discs to it directly. It's not networked either. Any particular advantages/disadvantages to the XBOX system for this?

4- Bear with me for the following in terms of how it gets used:
I rip all my discs to a HD on my host computer Do I just use, say, Windows Media Player to rip the music and gather track info, or do each of the options above use proprietary software?. Now that I've got the tracks ripped into my computer, what are my options for choosing music in my HT? I've read that the Soundbridge, for example, has a good display. But I assume that only the TiVo and XBOX can display track info, etc..on my DLP??. I also assume that I can sit on my couch and choose particular artists or "albums"; but can I also, for example, shuffle just Blues music or Christmas music for a Holiday party?? Search out songs with the word Purple in case, for example, Craig ever visits?

I get the feeling that moving to "networked" music will be much like when I got my first TiVo years ago: it will change the way I listen to music, I'll wonder how I ever lived without it, and I won't be able to explain it to someone who hasn't just used it for a week to fully understand how much better it is….!

I spend my day on computers and high-tech stuff, but networking is a weakness for me and I just don't "do" MP3s so am not too experienced with compressing music formats in anything other than Adobe Audition. I'll be researching all of this on my own as well, but thought I'd throw it out here in these early stages, in case someone can save me a lot of time researching, for example, the TiVo method because "it can't do X and X, so it's not worth bothering with"…etc…

Any and all help appreciated!!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: Feeling Ignorant Today…..
MarkSJohnson #162259 03/22/07 12:39 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't have any answers, but thank you for asking the question. I will be watching this thread with bated (not BAITED, dammit !!) breath.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #162260 03/22/07 01:26 AM
Right, John; although I suppose that you've heard of the clever cat who ate some cheese and then waited at the mousehole with baited breath.

Mark, fill up those two jukeboxes. I'm available for 800 suggestions.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

MarkSJohnson #162261 03/22/07 01:41 AM
devotee
devotee
I can't directly answer your questions since I don't use Soundbridge or the others. But what I have done is built a server and ripped cd's via Windows Media Player in lossless format to my server. WMP gets all the track and artist info and saves it along with the tracks. On my HTPC which uses Meedio as my frontend I can import the tracks and then access the tracks and play them via my receiver. This uses the Meedio player to play the tracks. I can also launch WMP from within Meedio and access my tracks that way. I actually really like WMP 11. I think MS did a really good job with it. I would have ripped my tracks using flac but I had already ripped most in WMP lossless so I'm just sticking with the format.

JohnK #162262 03/22/07 01:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your easiest solution would probably be to have one computer for just being used as a server for the music. Or perhaps just install a very large hard-drive or two in your best computer and use that. I have found the best program for ripping cd's is called Cdex (just google it), It will rip your entire cd at whatever bitrate you want and will access the CDDB database to get the track info. I dont think you can get covers and stuff from there but it might be possible. You could use the seperate computers running on the network to play music if you wanted to listen from that particular computer by having your music drive shared on the network and then all the other computers can acess the music.

The squeezebox would be a great choice for if you just want to listen through your stereo. A home network is pretty easy to setup once you get the concept down. There are plenty of online tutorials on doing it as well.

JohnK #162263 03/22/07 01:44 AM
OP Offline
John:
That's a fair recommendation, so I should explain:

One of the services I offer is disc duplication, and have recently "upped" my capability to 600 printed and burned discs/hour throughput. So the thought of duping each of my discs and just throwing them in the jukebox was my original plan and easy for me to do.

But once upon a time when I WAS using the jukeboxes, the data on one became corrupted somehow. The display would read Chick Corea when the slot actually contained Rage Against the Machine. Shuffling within genre or artist became impossible and I had to empty the thing and wipe out it's memory.... about two days of entering in all the information.

So, I thought I would rip each disc to the computer, embed CD Text info, and re-burn a copy. But that's such a monumental task to do for my ~900 discs, and I would still lose "genre" , etc...if it became corrupted again.

After waiting two years to "do the project right", I think technology has passed me by, and there's a better alternative to using the jukeboxes now...!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #162264 03/22/07 02:46 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Mark, I have 2 Squeezebox's networked to a 1TB server running raid 5. I also back the whole thing up to a couple of external 500 gig drives just to be safe. I have no worries about ever losing data. The SB's are incredible. I almost never use my CD player any more. It took a while to rip over 1000 CD's but I'll never have to do it again. Now when I get new CD's it takes all of 2 minutes to rip it. The quality is every bit as good as the original. I like it so much that I will be adding Slim's Transporter to my dedicated room. I have M80's and an EP 600 thru Outlaws 990/7700.

Go for the SB, ripped with EAC to FLAC. You won't regret it!

Robert_W #162265 03/22/07 03:43 AM
devotee
devotee
I'll second useing EAC. Something I'm noticing just now after ripping for 3 years is the info from cddb is not consistent.An artist name might be spelled differently on different cds or from different servers. I have several instances where an artist's name is spelled differently (capitalzation and spaces count to a computer) on each cd by that artist, makes it kinda hard to search or shuffle within that artist.I have several cds by Ronny Jordan, one is listed as jazz,another acid jazz, etc. Kinda fouls up the works when there are genras with one stinking cd. Soundtracks and those compilation cds are the biggest pita. I'm starting to think it would be easier to enter the info myself rather than police the dang cddbs info. At any rate, watch that info when you rip.
I would look into unraid if you go with a server.
There's a section on avs for media streaming with tremendous participation and they don't get bogged down with concerns about legality. I stumbled in there and it really opened my eyes to what's possible.

duckman #162266 03/22/07 04:04 AM
veteran
veteran
I'll third using EAC and also recommend a squeezebox. I have one and plan on adding a second once my new Axiom Algonquin outdoor speakers arrive.

I'm using a wireless network, so I can use my laptop outside to connect to my main PC (via a web page) with the slim server software running. I can then choose my playlists and enjoy my new speakers without ever having to get out of my lounge chair. Ain't technology great!

MarkSJohnson #162267 03/22/07 08:07 AM
J
J
All I can add is that I do not really like MP3 sound unless listening from earbuds then its tolerable. I would rather get up and change discs than listen to MP3's over my stereo. I do still have a 5 disc changer and use shuffle, not as much variety but the sound is better, IMO.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup