Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: RUSH Tour 2007! - now with spoiler action!
medic8r #163081 07/18/07 08:00 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
That's the last time I pad by drawers with a baguette.

pmbuko #163082 07/20/07 10:21 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
T minus 04:39.00

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #163083 07/23/07 08:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Here's hoping to hear some reviews from both Tom and Shaun.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
tomtuttle #163084 07/23/07 09:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wish I were there, man. I'd see them again in a heartbeat. Enjoy the show, my brother in beer.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #163085 07/24/07 01:27 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, it's Monday afternoon, and I am now mostly recovered from Friday night's show.

The band was as good as ever and I was not disappointed. Given my fairly high expectations, that is high praise.

It took Geddy a bit of time to get his voice warmed up; the beginning of Limelight wasn't perfect by any means. They did not deviate from the previously published setlist except that they did not play Summertime Blues. My current favorite cuts from the new album (Far Cry and Workin' them Angels) were stellar, and the band seemed to enjoy playing all the new music. Cuts from the new album were not as enthusiastically received by the crowd as some of the classic numbers. I thought Digital Man and Natural Science were very compelling, as each one was not only passionately played but also deviated somewhat from the studio versions.

The venue (The White River Amphitheater) is a good place to see a show, if you can live with fairly horrific ingress/egress problems. There are about 8,000 covered seats and another ~10,000 on the lawn. It was fortunate that we were in the middle of the covered area, as this has been the wettest July EVER in the Puget Sound area, and it rained like Thailand most of the week, including the day of show.

The open-air nature of the venue contributed significantly - I think - to a VERY high fidelity mix. The show was still very loud, and was surprisingly clear and detailed. We were probably 150 feet back and dead center. I did not feel compelled to use the earplugs I brought. I left my SPL meter at home.

The visuals - both the live shots and the set pieces - were very good, and were displayed on three screens behind the band and two enormous screens to the sides of the stage. I did not find a high enough percentage of the thematic visuals compelling, and might have preferred a higher ratio of live broadcast of the band.

The South Park into to Tom Sawyer was hilarious. Classic.

At one point, Geddy brought out a video camera and aimed it at the crowd. He implored a "Hello Canada!" and seemed genuinely surprised by the resulting vigor. At the end of the show, he graciously thanked the crowd and said we were great. It's true.

I found Geddy's singing to be very satisfying; he is still quite able to hit whatever he wants. I was also reminded how much I enjoy his bass playing - he plays a LOT, and has a very punchy, bright tone that is complementary to the rest of the band's profile. He played three different Fender Jazz Basses most of the evening, but did pull out a Rickenbacker for one number. It seemed - a bit more than usual to me - to be "his band".

Neil's playing was superb and compelling, as usual. His are the only drum solos I find interesting. He works awfully hard, but his apparent joylessness and lyrical/philosophical bent make him somewhat less appealing to me personally than I'd like. He does seem to genuinely value his big band and jazz predecessors, which I think is wonderful. His technical skills seem unsurpassed.

Alex's playing has never been better, I think. I really like the parts of the new album where he indulges the acoustic guitar more than usual, and I was mesmerized by his performance on the MVI disk and in the concert. I think so much of what he does is contextual that he is somewhat under appreciated as a virtuoso. He did seem to enjoy himself.

It was a good show - one of the few times where an exorbitant entry fee has proven "worth it". I went with a friend that I've known since childhood and sharing the evening with him definitely enhanced the experience. We see each other too rarely now, and this was a special occasion for lots of reasons. Wish I'd been able to share the show with Peter, JP, Dave, Shawn and other Axiom folks also.

I would go again.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #163086 07/24/07 05:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow Tom! A great and detailed review. You pretty much covered it all. Now I'm really looking forward to the show 2 weeks from tonight.

It would be great to see really good show together as a group of Axiomites. I echo your sentiments

When asked for a review, you certainly deliver... thanks and take care.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
tomtuttle #163087 07/24/07 09:47 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Hi Tom,
Fabulous review! I echo your sentiments regarding the show. It sounds like my wife and I had similar seats to yours. I found myself using binoculars quite often when the visuals were playing. The live footage of the band was great (not enough though). Was watching Mr. Peart most of the time. (Note to Dave, bring binoculars!) BTW, Neil's new drum kit sounds awesome and the drum solo is worth the price of admission.

The new music was very impressive which I was really looking forward to hearing. Far Cry, Workin Them Angels and the Main Monkey Business will be future Rush concert classics. I could feel the heat from 125ft. on the pyro/fire on One Little Victory. I thought Geddy's voice sounded far better than the R30 and Rio dvd's. The sound was loud however we did not resort to ear plugs. Other bands like Metallica will have your ears ringing the following day! The musicianship of Rush is nothing short of stellar. The improv on YYZ was classic.

A cool thing happened early in the show. A white owl flew over our section and sat up in the rafters for about 5 minutes. Reminded me of the album cover of Fly By Night.

The venue (The Amphitheater at Clark County) was a great facility although the on-site parking is limited at 7,200 cars. The local transit were running shuttles to and from the Clark County Fairgrounds (outstanding service as we were back at our hotel 25 minutes after the show ended). One of the staff told me they seat 10,000 under cover and 5,000 on the back lawn. I believe the show was sold out. The weather was great, scattered clouds and around 80 degrees (we were lucky).

Met some interesting Rush aficionados before the show. One fellow has seen every tour and according to his wife owns every t-shirt. I purchased a tour program and the white Snakes & Arrows tour shirt. It was an expensive weekend but worth the trip. My wife is a very casual Rush fan but she was astounded by the performance.

Maybe on the next Rush tour we can try to get some of the Axiom crowd together and attend a show? That would be fun
Cheers,
Shaun

Rock_Head #163088 07/25/07 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Was watching Mr. Peart most of the time. (Note to Dave, bring binoculars!)

I'd bring binoculars to watch him play drums from row 1! Note taken!

Quote:

Maybe on the next Rush tour we can try to get some of the Axiom crowd together and attend a show? That would be fun

Yes, that would be an awesome event. Thanks for the nice review Shaun.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Re: RUSH Tour 2007! - now with blog links :)
dllewel #163089 07/27/07 02:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here's some links to some interesting reading for all of you Rush fans. I think that you'll really like it.

The blogger is one of my best friends from high school, Beau Dure. He's the one who turned me on to Rush. As the blog says, it was a transitional time for Rush in the mid-80s. We saw Rush on the Power Windows tour in Atlanta.

The post begins here. It is, to borrow the title of Neil's instructional DVD, a work in progress.

I may be biased, but I think Beau is a great writer. Let me (and him!) know what you think ...

Re: RUSH Tour 2007! - now with blog links :)
medic8r #163090 08/18/07 09:49 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Snakes & Arrows House Music Playlist!
For all you Rush fans that have attended a concert or are planning to go, this is the setlist (from rushisaband.com) of the house music compiled by Neil Peart. My wife and I arrived early enough to hear the whole playlist. Interesting selection of music by The Professor!

Tommy Overture - The Who
Mojo Pin - Jeff Buckley
Trains - Porcupine Tree
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson
Fear of a Blank Planet - Porcupine Tree
Welcome to the Machine - Pink Floyd
Eria Tarka - The Mars Volta
Roundabout - Yes
Looking for a Place to Happen - The Tragically Hip
Aqualung - Jethro Tull