Page 5 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 57 58
Re: Stunning Recordings
JohnK #163308 05/06/07 04:09 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Quote:

Well Mo, I'll suggest a little package of music that may not be a re-discovery for you, but should be a rather stunning new discovery(it certainly is on my Axioms, using DPLII): The Planets , Swan Lake and Symphonic Dances . Amounts to about $22 with free shipping.

John,

Do you listen to a lot of stereo using DPLII? I enjoy classical and may buy a couple of those CDs, even though I don't have Axiom's flagship mains.

Regards,

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Mains: M22 v2
Center: VP150 v2
Surrounds: QS8s v2
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK3
Rodney #163309 05/06/07 05:04 AM
shareholder in the making
Rodney, when I'm listening on a setup that has surround speakers available it makes sense to use them fully and I always use DPLII(or occasionally Neo:6 or Neural Surround)with stereo sources. The two front channels have surround ambience mixed into them(there was nowhere else to put it)in varying amounts which originally came more from the sides and back rather than the front. The DPLII or similar processing extracts this from the front channels and directs it to the surrounds where it belongs. The result is a little closer to the reality of the original performance.

My M22s do a superb job with my classical CDs and I'm sure that yours will as well. No need to deprive yourself of the great world of classical music that's waiting for you out there because you don't have "flagship" speakers(which title I've claimed for the M22s anyway). Enjoy.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

John, the Tower links are dead
JohnK #163310 06/09/07 11:28 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Quote:

All right then here's a few more: Romero, Spanish Guitar ; Symphonie Fantastique ; Stravinsky Coll. ; Bolero, etc. ; Ma Vlast ; Carmina Burana ; Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 ; Dvorak Slavonic Dances ; Daphnis et Chloe ; Brahms Hungarian Dances ; Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos ; Ilya Murometz ; Scheherazade ; Respighi, Roman Festivals . Khachaturian Coll. ; Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet ; Rachmaninoff 2nd Symphony ; Strauss Waltzes ; Rimsky-Korsakov Coll. ; Sibelius Symphonies ; Shostakovich Symphony No.7 ; Ravel Coll. ; Coppelia ; Debussy Coll. ; Copland & Bernstein ; Dvorak Symphonies ; Sylvia ; Beethoven Symphony No.9 ; Gershwin Coll. ; Dvorak Cello Concerto ; Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos ; Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony .

Well, John,

I have this thread as a favorite. I was finally ready to go to Borders and get a few of these, but Tower changed their website and all the links are dead. Therefore, I don't know what label released them, and I'm sure some recordings are worse than others... Bummer. If you get a chance... Well, I don't really dare ask.

What I am also really bummed about is I had created an account on Tower the day I saw your post, and put ALL the CDs you suggested in a wishlist, but now I cannot log in there either. I know I have my email address right, but when I try forgot password link, I put my email address in, but it says no such email in our system. Surely, they migrated their databases from dotnet to what now seems to be a ColdFusion-driven website.

Arghh.

So much for listening to a new classical cd tonight while kids have a babysitter.

Regards,

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Re: John, the Tower links are dead
Rodney #163311 06/10/07 01:56 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Thanks to history from Firefox, I am able to find the recordings. No one may care, but since I am finding the CDs for myself on Tower, I will post the links when done, in case others are interested.

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Rodney #163312 06/10/07 02:14 AM
Yes, Tower has changed their site effective June 1st and although they say that a "new and improved" classical section will be forthcoming, there're at least two problems now. The first, as you discovered, is that the old CD numbering has been changed so that the numerous links that I've given in the past few years aren't usable. Whether any of the old data, including your wish list, can be retrieved is unclear; possibly you might drop an e-mail to classical@tower.com to inquire(indicating of course that you were ready to buy dozens of their CDs that were linked on your audio discussion board).

The second problem, which I suspect will change even if the old numbers are gone forever, is the present lack of sound samples.

Yes, don't go to Borders or anyplace else and just grab a CD because it happens to contain that same musical composition. Many works have dozens of different recordings available which differ significantly in the quality of conducting, playing and sound.

I'll be glad to give you currently usable Tower links for what you think you may be especially interested in. I'd prefer not to re-do that entire list now, which would be a bit tedious. Possibly you have in mind a few that seemed especially attractive, or I could give a short starter list.

Edit: Rodney I was away from the computer briefly and sent my reply without looking at your latest. Some of what I said is now moot, but yes, posting the new links would be helpful. If you want me to check your Borders for what's currently in stock, I'd do that, although I suppose you could do it yourself if you have specific items that you want.

Last edited by JohnK; 06/10/07 02:23 AM.
JohnK #163313 06/10/07 02:40 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Rodney #163314 06/10/07 03:09 AM
Okay, I checked them. The second item, "Acoustic Highway", is an unknown and the Brahms Hungarian Dances is the right performance(really excellent), but it's a cassette and they don't appear to have the CD listed. Yes, those links can get a bit tedious, but I'm glad to do it to help spread the word about the great world of music that's waiting for us out there.

What I noticed in checking are that most of their current prices are really good if you'd care to order some. If you'd care to identify your Borders I could check what might be in stock if you want to pick something up immediately.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #163315 06/10/07 03:19 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
John,

You are too kind. Now that I got the list, I can get on Borders and check.

I didn't realize the Brahms Hungarian Dances was a cassette...

Regards,

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Rodney #163316 06/10/07 04:28 AM
Don't forget "The Planets"

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

JohnK #163317 06/13/07 02:22 AM
M
Mojo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
For those of you that are interested in giving your system a great work-out, get this CD, turn your volume wayyyyy up and play track 4, Night on a Bare Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky as performed by the Cleveland Orchestra.

Strap on your Depends and have a defibrillator handy . Absolutely amazing transients and stunning sound quality. I swear that the orchestra is right there in my room!

If anyone else is familiar with this style of music, kindly let us know of any others like it.

Page 5 of 58 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 57 58

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters