Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Axiom AS5 Audio Stand
#16397 07/31/03 10:34 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Just curious as to whether owners of the Axiom AS5 Audio Stand would share an opinion of it. I saw the 1/2 price sale in the factory outlet store and ordered one today. While I wait for its arrival, I'd like to hear what current owners may think of its ease of assembly, functionality, and durability. Thanks!

Re: Axiom AS5 Audio Stand
#16398 08/18/03 05:11 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I finally set up the Axiom AS5 Audio Stand this weekend after receiving it two weeks ago. In general, I'm very happy with it. Its appearance is consistent with the photos in the Axiom advertisement, and the material quality is very high. I was concerned that my wife wouldn't like it as its style is more contemporary than most other furniture in the room. However, she thinks it's attractive and fits perfectly in the space available.

The unit arrived in two business days and came in a relatively flat box that was about 4' x 4.5'. Basically, two pieces of molded styrofoam protected the pieces. The five shelves were stacked with thin, foam sheets separating them. The tubes that separate the shelves were in separate molded compartments. The box indicated that it was Made in China by The Stand Company. This wasn't a complete surprise as stands are certainly a secondary line for Axiom.

Instructions consisted only of a list of parts and a diagram that showed, without words, how to assemble the stand. This seemed adequate until I reached its completion and found that the cap screws to secure the top did not reach the rods that ran through the tubing. This made it very unstable. However, after loosening the rods by several turns from the feet, the cap screws now could be tightened, stabilizing the stand. It seems like the problem could have been avoided either through instruction or by limiting the threading available on the feet.

So, in summary, I'm very happy with the stand despite a momentary glitch in its assembly. Its original $290 price appears fair. For the $145 sale price, I think it's a real bargain.

#16399 08/18/03 07:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm considering that same stand. Did you use those guides to route all of your wires? Did you notice any noise due to running the power cords and other wires so close together - or is that another audiophile myth?
Thanks.

#16400 08/19/03 12:07 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I didn't fully take advantage of the wire guides yet, Will. Though I have used the guides for the power cords, I haven't used them for the other wiring. At this point, I only have three components (CD player connected to receiver; CD recorder connected to CD player), and wiring hasn't been an issue as the stand is flush to the wall.

#16401 08/20/03 04:56 AM
mbj Offline
frequent flier
frequent flier
I've had my AS5 for about 3 weeks now. Quite a bargain at $145.

I believe the power cords bunched with speaker wire affecting sound to be a myth. At least in my set up it is. I have power cords from my receiver, DVD, and cable box twist-tied with my 12-gauge Home Depot speaker wire and I've noticed no difference in sound quality.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044