Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Any M60v2s in Florida?
#164278 04/07/07 12:34 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I understand from Brent that there are a couple of people with the M60s in Florida. I'm interested in the v2s as a possible good mate to go with a McIntosh MA230 integrated (1963 tube model, 30 wpc)I had recently completely refurbished. The M60s are 8 ohms, which my Mac definately prefers (in spite of 4 ohm taps) and I have a somewhat large area (living room opening into dining room).

I tried the Revel Concerta F12, which is a slightly larger similar design (cermamic drivers with tweet, 5 1/4" mid, but has two 8" bass drivers). I loved the sound of the highs and mids, but the bass was too boomy for me. They have a single large rear port, and I couldn't get control of this when moving them out 3-4 ft. from the front wall. Foam plugs just made a softer boomy sound. The Mac, as a lower wattage tube amp with a damping factor of only 5, contributes to the problem. Also, the Revels were a 6 ohm nominal (minimum below 4), and that doesn't help.

I'm hoping the M60s will be a better mate (8 ohm nominal, 6 minimum, 6 1/2" aluminum bass drivers, multiple ports, better senstivity, etc.)with a better integration of frequency response, top to bottom. The graph Axiom provideslooks remarkably flat.

I'd love to hear these first, as my preference would be a wood veneer version and Axiom understandably can't refund the price difference for this option.

Any opinions out there?

I live in Delray Beach (W. Palm Beach area), but also travel to Tampa Bay area frequently, in case someone out there can let me listen.

Tony

Re: Any M60v2s in Florida?
tony_lavender #164279 04/07/07 12:42 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Tony, if you check page 1 of the "Audition" thread in the "Hearing Things" forum, that is the place where we discuss auditions. Page 1 has a list of people willing to do auditions. However, sometimes the list is not updated, so then you can send Amie or Andrea a PM at Axiom. Or, start a new thread asking for an audition. Most likely someone will respond to this thread, since our community is small and everyone reads every thread.

Also, I know there are some m80 owners in FL. If you can't find an m60 owner, I would recommend at least listening to the m80's. They two models have very similar qualities and this will give you a good idea of how the 60's will sound like.

I owned 60's for 2 years, and now have upgraded to 80's. They are very similar in high's and midrange, with the 80's having a bit more detail as to the dual tweeters and midrange. For the low bass categories, they are again very similar. The 80's put out a little better in this category as well, I believe because of the slightly larger footprint. However, most people would not tell the difference.

Good luck. I will say the quality of the finish of the vinyl wrapped, wood veneer, and custom colors are top notch, whatever you decide you will be happy I'm sure.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020