Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Questions about the M80's
Spoiler #164645 04/13/07 06:41 PM
K
old hand
old hand
K
Quote:

110db is PLENTY loud! I heard no distortion at that level either, but on the other hand, more than a few minutes at that level is enough for me. The actual listening area is fairly small: 12 X 15 with the left side opening out about 25 ft.

Why did the woofer overdrive happen? It's not a constant "popping"... only on bass drum beats for instance, when at very high volumes. My OPINION is (and others pls chime in if you disagree) is that the monos are delivering what I asking them to, but that I'm exceeding the excursion limits of this particular 6.5" woofer design below the 60 - 80hz area when set to large(Direct mode, btw). Am I correct in this assumption?

Guys, without question,you are driving the amp into hard clip, thats whats causing the popping. I suspect your outlaws do not have any hard clip circuitry or its not working, one or the other.

I agree, one should always use a sub when really rockin the house, easier on the amp and especially the drivers.

Last edited by KlipschGuy; 04/13/07 06:45 PM.

Emotiva DMC1, MPS-1 ,M80v2 ,Klipsch RC64,Mirage Omni260 surrounds,Paradigm PW2200 sub
Spoiler #164646 04/13/07 06:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Spoiler,

It's possible to overdrive any woofer--especially if you have any electronic bass boost engaged, like a +3 dB or +6 dB boost of the bass control on your AV receiver or preamp. But you say you were using the direct mode and bypassing any tone-control circuitry, right?

It's extremely unlikely to exceed the excursion limits with the M80s' woofers, or at least I've never heard it happen. And I've been present when several Axiom colleagues of mine shut down three of five 350-watt per channel monoblocks driving M80s (plus two subs, an EP500 and EP600). The SPL levels were insanely high and I had to go out on the deck outside the house after a couple of minutes.

Once you near the output limits of an amplifier running at very high SPLs, remember that only a 3-dB increase in output (subjectively, that sounds just "slightly louder") will require twice as much power from what the amp is producing. So if your amplifier was hitting 200 watts per channel on peaks, and you turned it up just 3 dB, you'd need 400 watts to prevent the thing from clipping.

In your case, I suspect it was occasional clipping of the Outlaw mono amps. If anyone is into clean, undistorted, extremely high sound levels, I recommend power amplifiers of 300 watts per channel or higher. We routinely test the M80s at 700 watts per channel and more.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #164647 04/13/07 06:53 PM
K
old hand
old hand
K
Hi Allan, I am cerrtainly into clean power! My Emo MPS1 delivers amazingly detailed power and authority with 300wpc into 4ohms.

I would also like to thank you and your team for delivering an outstanding product at a reasonable price point. I recently purchased your M80's and drive them with the EMO "Big Dogs" and the sound experience that I have achieved wether for music or movies is simply superb in all areas, the soundstage is huge with imaging I have only dreamed of(check out any of Poncho Sanchez recordings). Sounds like Poncho is playing the congas in my HT and that is no joke!

Once again , thank you!

Chris in Waterloo, On

Emotiva DMC1, MPS-1 ,M80v2 ,Klipsch RC64,Mirage Omni260 surrounds,Paradigm PW2200 sub
KlipschGuy #164648 04/13/07 07:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi KlipschGuy (isn't it time to change your name?),

Thanks and that's great news that your Emo cranks out enough power for realistic sounding congas from your M80s.

You're in the town (Waterloo, Ont) where I went to college way back when (Wilfred Laurier University). There used to be a hotel there (Waterloo Hotel?) with a pub called The Circus Room, where everyone would go drinking. I'm talking the 1960s and draft (draught) beer was 15 cents a glass. . .

Enough nostalgia.

I'll pass your comments on to my colleagues.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup