Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
M80 question
#1654 02/16/02 04:26 AM
S
OP Offline
S
How does M80ti compare with the JBL S312? I tried the JBL speakers at Tweeters and it sounded nice and transparent, though it wasn't very efficient nor musical. I have heard many good things about Axiom, but never heard one yet as there aren't any local store that carries Axiom here in Maryland.
I'm seriously considering Epic80 Home Theater Setup with extra pair of QS-8 (or 1 QS-8 for 6.1 setup). I'm not sure if my Denon 2802 can handle the 4ohm load, but I've heard of people with Denon 3802 driving the M80 w/o problem. I may add the Rotel 781 amp, as a friend is selling it, to drive the main speakers.
Can the M80ti go head to head with the likes of B&W Nautilus, Totem Tabu, Hawk, in terms of transparency, accuracy, depth, sound stage, good upper mid frequency response (my preference)?

Thanks for your help,

Re: M80 question
#1655 02/16/02 03:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It has been my experience with JBL that they would be outperformed by most if not all of the speakers you mention. However, the models you mention are not all of the same size, price or quality. It would be tough to say which is the best of the names given, as some are small cabinet, some are floor models, and some have many models.

The Totems are favourites of mine, so I will address them. The Hawk is a floor standing model, and the Tabu is a "bookshelf" if you will. They are more expensive than the Axiom counterparts, much more ineffecient, and I hate to say it, but they are much better speakers on all levels. This however can be attributed to price point restricitions, and less on design problems.

The Rotel will have little trouble handling any of these speakers, but the Denon may not fair well with inefficient speakers. Volume(output) would be diminished with all amps if the 90+db Axioms are compared to the 86db Totems...regardless of amp.

Regards,

BBIBH

Re: M80 question
#1656 02/16/02 04:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We've had no problems with Denon amps and receivers driving all manner of different loads--8-ohm, 4-ohm, and lower impedances. They are excellent amps (just pick one up and compare its weight to another brand. Chances are the Denon will be much heavier--a testament to a big, heavy power supply, large transformer, and massive heat-sinking to dissipate the heat often generated by low-impedance loads. Your Denon 2802 will drive the M80i with ease.

Axiom has been in the forefront of Canadian speaker design, together with several other Canadian brands--PSB, Paradigm, Mirage, and Energy--for over 20 years. In my listening experience, the M80's could take on any of the candidates you named and top them in terms of muscial neutrality, deep, extended bass response, a smooth, uncolored midrange and a spacious yet precise soundstage.

Regards,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465