Rate Thread
An ask for help from Denon Owners.
#165508 04/16/07 02:54 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hi folks.
Because I had to move my gear, I changed my setup a bit to 'simplify' the cabling and have now lost audio when using digital signal from DVDs. Funny part is, stereo still goes through fine.

Basically I introduced switching all my video, including my sat. dish, through the Denon via a HDMI out where as before, it only switched DVD and XBox through component and the sat. dish went separately to the TV via its own HDMI.

Now when using the DVD, I get stereo sound but not digital 5.1 or DTS. I assumed it must be trying to send the digital sound out the HDMI to the TV but the Denon does not even show an input signal coming in to be passed anywhere...

Old setup.
Bell Expressvu to TV via HDMI to DVI cable.
DVD audio to Denon via optical 1.
DVD video to Denon via Component1 to TV via component out 1
XBOX audio to Denon via RCA1
XBOX video to Denon via Component2 to TV via component out 1

New Setup
BBEV audio to Denon via optical 2
BEV video to Denon Via HDMI-In 1 to TV Via HDMI out 1
DVD audio to Denon via optical 1.
DVD video to Denon via Component1 to TV Via HDMI out 1
XBOX audio to Denon via RCA1
XBOX video to Denon via Component2 to TV Via HDMI out 1

DVD Audio setup did not change at all and I know the cable and inputs are OK because it will pass stereo sound when chosen.

As soon as the DVD switches to 5.1 or DTS, the receiver shows no input signal and you get no sound.

I have tried multiple DVD with the same results. I can play a CD (stereo) OK. I have tried switching inputs, went through all menu settings for something missing and I even went as far as reading the manual!

Obviously it has something to do with the introduction of switching HDMI in the receiver and I can revert back to my old ways if need be but I'll have to go out and buy a 5 meter component cable to replicate what I had before over the longer distance.

If anyone can help me to avoid going back, it would be greatly appreciated, if its even possible.

Thanks greatly,

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: An ask for help from Denon Owners.
Murph #165509 04/16/07 05:01 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Came back hoping for some feedback nothing yet but I did realize I forgot to mention the Denon AVR is a 3806

Murph #165510 04/16/07 07:12 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Sounds like a setup problem in the DVD player. It looks like you are using optical out from the dvd player. Be sure that you have the audio output in the dvd player setup set to bitstream.

2xM80 VP180 2xQS8 2xM3 HSU STF3 LG 60PS11 Denon 3808 ATI 1506 LCR 2xATI 1502 Oppo BDP-83
Lorenzo1000 #165511 04/17/07 03:06 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Lorenzo. That was a good call as I was forgetting to look there since I didn't modify my DVD setup but I did have it unplugged so you never know.

Unfortunately, it was correctly set for bitstream so that wasn't it. I aslo tried my old DVD player. It's not progressive so the picture had funny colored lines in it from whatever failed conversion process was happening but it showed the same problem. It would do PCM stereo (kinda digital) but not dolby 5.1. Still showed no sound being input to the AVR. Proved pretty much the receiver was the cuplrit.

I reverted to good old computer troubleshooting. I reset the processor and everything work again. Im not sure if the processor was hosed or if it just forced me to reenter all the settings so I ended up inadvertantly fixing an incorrect setting .

Anyway, back in business. Thanks Lorenzo and anyone else who tooka a few minutes to think about it.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044