Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Axiom bashing
pmbuko #165561 04/16/07 08:49 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Audioholics decision to ban an Axiom basher should not influence the poster's decision to purchase Axiom speakers. Do you think otherwise?

I don't think otherwise.

I agree that he should be banned for acquising the reviewer of bias.

Alan speaks highly of Audioholic reviewers and was able to discuss my equipment needs with Gene. I appreciated both of their comments.

Generally speaking an independent review is good. Audioholics reviews of Axiom led me to buy them.

Stymie #165562 04/16/07 08:52 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Stymie, you have the exact setup I'm thinking about getting with the HK and monoblocks and speakers. How have you liked that setup? Have there been any drawbacks.
And yes I do realize we should only take such comments/opinions with a grain of salt. Especially from the deranged.

Me playing Hendrix with my teeth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYaBBemvA7U
Scuffernoose #165563 04/16/07 08:53 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The brightness comes from the fact that they are so flat in the frequency response--there's no forgiveness for bad recordings, especially in the M2/22/60/80 line. The 3/50 line is a tad more forgiving. A tad. A lot of other speakers are somewhat rolled off in the treble. Certainly, many tube amps produce that effect. Some people like it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Scuffernoose #165564 04/16/07 08:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

"The Polk will rule the Axiom, just by specs it looks like it will. I would take a 20 pounds speaker over an 8 pounder anyday.

I'm no speaker expert - I just come here for kicks and giggles.

But I do know people. And this is the only forum I've become a regular on because the people here are as a whole (and even as individuals!) intelligent, good-natured, and witty.

As others have said, if the guy quoted above hasn't even heard Axioms, how much credence can you give him? How do we know he's not in middle school? Why does his opinion matter? Question authority, and as someone's sig here says/once said, "Question those who claim to know it all." Does heavy automatically mean good? I could make a 1000 pound speaker. Would it win all the comparos?

One of the most common words I use in my description of my teenage patients is "Overconfident". You know, where your confidence exceeds your capability and judgment? From this little snippet, this guy sounds a lot like one of my cocky teenage patients who cannot distinguish between his rectal aperture and a hole in the ground.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Scuffernoose #165565 04/16/07 09:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Scuff, with regard to the vinyl peel.... I beleive the very first run of ASW cabinets had problems with the vinyl splitting along the front edges. This was pre-2001, so it's long been rectified. But the nay-sayers will drag it out for another decade for sure.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
Scuffernoose #165566 04/16/07 09:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Stymie, you have the exact setup I'm thinking about getting with the HK and monoblocks and speakers. How have you liked that setup? Have there been any drawbacks.
And yes I do realize we should only take such comments/opinions with a grain of salt. Especially from the deranged.

I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was trying to single you out. Audioholics, like many forums, is filled with such comments and reading through them to find something of value gets old.

I love my current 5.1 setup with five monoblocks. The blocks take up a little more space and more outlets, but I love the flexibility that they offer. I use the internal HK amps for my zone II setup. The only drawbacks that I can think of are more with the age of my receiver. It doesn't have HDMI switching or balanced outputs, but I need neither at the moment. I had to update the firmware on the HK, but that's about it.

If/when I upgrade my receiver, I'll most likely go with Emotiva. The MMC-1/MPS-1 combo has my attention. The ability to add amps as needed to the MPS-1 is nice. This would allow me to do a stepped upgrade. I can start out with the chassis and two amps with the Outlaw blocks augmenting. As I complete the swap, I'll then have extra blocks crying out for bedroom and office setups.

zhimbo #165567 04/16/07 09:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
>>If I may insert a question I asked in that thread but got no reply to...where does the widespread belief that Axioms are "bright" come from? I haven't heard Axioms yet, but as I understand "bright" it should come from an emphasis in treble frequencies...but frequency response for any Axiom model shows no such thing.

"Brightness" seems to relate to response in the 2-5 KHz range. A lot of speakers have a response dip in this range because (IIRC) BBC psychoacoustic testing indicated that a response dip in this range was perceived as sounding "smoother".

Axioms are dead-flat in this range, although the M3/M40/M50 dip a bit in the off-axis response -- apparently a function of the larger cone in the 6.5" woofer-midrange. You hear the downside of the flat response in a couple of ways -- if a recording has pronounced sibilance you will hear relatively more of it on Axioms, and I have found some recordings which seem to be optimized for car stereos and sound "harsh" on my Axioms.

It's actually pretty easy to find recordings which make Axioms sound crappy -- it's just that for the kind of recordings most of us actually *listen* to (the good ones ) the flat midrange response gives Axioms an exceptional level of clarity and transparency.

As a couple of others have posted, the 6.5"-based models "split the difference" -- they sound a tiny bit less transparent on the best material but are more tolerant of crappy recordings.

FYI, Ian feels strongly that thick, heavy cabinet walls and lots of bracing are *not* the way to design the best sounding speakers.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/16/07 09:31 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #165568 04/16/07 09:29 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

>>It's actually pretty easy to find recordings which make Axioms sound crappy -- it's just that for the kind of recordings most of us listen to (the good ones ) the Axioms seem to offer a level of price/performance which is hard to match.

Would this include early 60's type recordings with Hihats really washy ala "she loves you". I seem to notice when listening to early Beatle records that they are already pretty bright and piercing compared to other recordings. I'm guessing that Axioms are not the best speaker for this kind of music, am I correct?

Me playing Hendrix with my teeth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYaBBemvA7U
Scuffernoose #165569 04/16/07 09:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I have had a tough time narrowing it down to a decade or a genre. The very worst recordings seem to be from the 70s and 80s -- as do the very best recordings. It's the midrange level that matters more than the high treble.

Here's a good example -- B.B. Gabor's anthology just came out on CD recently (Gabor was very popular around Toronto). The CD sounds great on my car system (the entry level system in a Dodge Magnum) but sounds harsh on my M60s.

EDIT -- I guess I could have picked an album that somebody not from Toronto might have heard of... but it *is* a good album anyways

I have very few recordings that sound bad on the Axioms, probably because I have generally owned pretty flat speakers (Rogers LS3/5A's being the exception, I guess, with their famous BBC dip ) so the albums probably would have been tossed or given away long before I bought the Axioms.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/16/07 09:42 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Scuffernoose #165570 04/16/07 09:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Like others have said, the M3 is a good model for that type of music. As well as the M50 and the M60 (the M60 not as much as the others, but the M60 DOES in fact "pat" you on the back instead of slapping you across the face like the M22s, based on a review at audioholcs on the M60 tower).

-Hutz

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617