Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Axiom bashing
#165551 04/16/07 07:54 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
I have been doing alot of research around the internet and have come across several instances on the audio forums and the polk forums where people say that the Axioms are too lightweight. Is there anything to this that Axiom perhaps is too skimpy on its materials. I'm also hearing stories of peeling vinyl. Say it ain't so. I have had my eye on the m80's for a while and really hope this is not true. Here are a few quotes from the Polk forums.
"The Polk will rule the Axiom, just by specs it looks like it will. I would take a 20 pounds speaker over an 8 pounder anyday. Just seems better quality materials and parts were used in the Polk which would mean better quality sound". (regarding the center channel)

"I always liked the fact they have a bookshelf that weighs like 19 pounds. Yet it has 2 midbasses, a tweeter and a crossover...

Most midbasses alone weigh atleast 4-5 pounds. So thats on average 9 pounds... tweeters weigh atleast a pound, so thats 10 pounds - then you have the port and crossover which together probally weigh a pound... so thats 11...

So that leaves what, 8 pounds for a cabinet? Say WHAT?"

Also whats up with this discussion on audio holics? The guy actually gets banned from the forum for slandering axiom. I have been considering the Polk Rti12's and this article really made me think twice about axiom(even though the guy obviously has issues and therefore don't know how much should be listened to). But is there anything to this?
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30616&page=4

Me playing Hendrix with my teeth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYaBBemvA7U
Re: Axiom bashing
Scuffernoose #165552 04/16/07 08:01 PM
shareholder in the making
There's nothing to it. If you look at the comments from the Polk fora, you can see that they haven't listened to the speaker. The build quality on my M50s seems to have held up just fine, and Axiom's warranty is excellent, as is their customer service. (yes, the advice you get from different people seems to vary a lot if you call them...) Nevertheless, we wouldn't all be here if Axiom didn't make a quality product.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Scuffernoose #165553 04/16/07 08:18 PM
The reason many speaker manufacturers have thick/heavy cabinet materials and/or lots of internal bracing is because that's the most common way to minimize cabinet resonances. Axiom accomplishes this with the Anti-Standing-Wave cabinet design. The non-parallel sides prevent sound waves from bouncing back and forth between the side walls.

Also, Audioholics is an independent entity. You shouldn't base your decision to buy or not to buy on the actions of that site.

pmbuko #165554 04/16/07 08:22 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

Also, Audioholics is an independent entity. You shouldn't base your decision to buy or not to buy on the actions of that site.

??? If they are independent, then I would think the opposite true. Quite a few good reviews on that site.

bugbitten #165555 04/16/07 08:24 PM
Audioholics decision to ban an Axiom basher should not influence the poster's decision to purchase Axiom speakers. Do you think otherwise?

bugbitten #165556 04/16/07 08:28 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

Quote:

??? If they are independent, then I would think the opposite true. Quite a few good reviews on that site.

I completely agree. Independent is good.

Scuffernoose #165557 04/16/07 08:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't see why we need to defend the speakers we love. If you are so worried about it, don't get Axiom.

Yes thats right, you heard me right. Instead, go buy your polk speakers and get the same quality for alot more than the Axiom equal. Alternativly, go audition someone's setup in the "hearing things" forum and hear for yourself the Axiom sound that we all came to know and love.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Scuffernoose #165558 04/16/07 08:35 PM
veteran
veteran
The banning as I understand it was not for bashing Axiom, but for bashing the moderators/reviewers as being biased, etc., and in part because of emails he sent the mods. Oh, and the guy is a real d***.

If I may insert a question I asked in that thread but got no reply to...where does the widespread belief that Axioms are "bright" come from? I haven't heard Axioms yet, but as I understand "bright" it should come from an emphasis in treble frequencies...but frequency response for any Axiom model shows no such thing.

So...what do people mean?

zhimbo #165559 04/16/07 08:38 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

If I may insert a question I asked in that thread but got no reply to...where does the widespread belief that Axioms are "bright" come from? I haven't heard Axioms yet, but as I understand "bright" it should come from an emphasis in treble frequencies...but frequency response for any Axiom model shows no such thing.

So...what do people mean?

I too have wondered this.

Scuffernoose #165560 04/16/07 08:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Also whats up with this discussion on audio holics? The guy actually gets banned from the forum for slandering axiom. I have been considering the Polk Rti12's and this article really made me think twice about axiom(even though the guy obviously has issues and therefore don't know how much should be listened to). But is there anything to this?
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30616&page=4

He wasn't banned for bashing Axiom. He was banned for violating forum rules. Read Gene's post (#47) on page 5 for specifics.

I will never understand why anyone would make a comparison between two products when they don't have first hand experience with both. I will also never understand why people give credence to such comments.

Comparing items A and B.
I own item A, but have never owned nor have had first hand experience with item B. Item A is much better than item B. It says so on paper. OR.... I say so, cause I spent a lot of money on item A and therefore it must be better.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters