Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: movie scenes for subwoofer
PeterChenoweth #165880 04/19/07 05:58 PM
shareholder in the making
On a totally side note, I have a CD of the original recordings for the true Star Wars movies. I used to use it to stress test speakers--it blew a few of them. Needless to say, it's never been played on any of my Axioms.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
grunt #165881 04/20/07 05:22 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Quote:

LOTR FOTR in the mines of Moria fighting the cave troll and later the Barlog at the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

I played these scenes and WoW I never heard my system sound so good. I think I'll be rewatching the LOTR again just to hear all the fx. My sub level is currently at about 8oclock

DanielBMe #165882 04/20/07 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I REALLY gotta try that tripod scene from war of the worlds...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #165883 04/25/07 03:51 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
In HD-DVD's, these rattle the foundation of my concrete slab home:

"Serenity's" spaceship sub-audible intro rattles the china cabinet and it's contents, 35 feet away, in another room...the 3rd chapter re-entry is just astounding with EP500's 12" cone traveling close to 3" !!

"King Kong's" many scenes of gut wrenching, very deep resonant growling undertones w\fist pounding, earth shaking scenes...the T-Rex triple fight and many other scenes throughout with extreme LFE!!

"Phantom of the Opera" Organ pedal tones at the black & white\color transition in the 2nd chapter...Very powerful, Very Deep!

"Happy Feet's" chapter (in the middle of movie) where the wary Penguins are in the path of the moving Ice-Breaker...thought my walls were going to come down...many other scenes of dance, music and S. effects that are crisp, clean and Deep!!

"War of the World's" Alien Pod emergence from the earth, hold on to your hats....Alien Death ray and destruction, Phenominal energy at 20hz, hold on to your a.. (this movie in SD-DVD)!!

I'm sure I have many more movie\music examples of extreme LFE, but have only had the EP500 for one week...more to explore and discover!!!

For other references, try here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=755493
(Post #2 has Chapters & Time Stamps)

Hope this helps!

Ted

Last edited by Theo; 04/25/07 04:16 PM.
DanielBMe #165884 04/26/07 01:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Quote:

LOTR FOTR in the mines of Moria fighting the cave troll and later the Barlog at the Bridge of Khazad-dum.

I played these scenes and WoW I never heard my system sound so good. I think I'll be rewatching the LOTR again just to hear all the fx. My sub level is currently at about 8oclock

I have played that scene to everyone I’ve shown my system to. Not only do you get some nice bass but I think it really shows off the surround speakers. My room is totally blacked out so it really creates the impression I am in a huge cavern.

All the LOTRs movies sound great. Since I live in an apartment I don’t crank the volume so I found that the LRTRs movies sound better with the QS8s turned up. Lots of ambiant sounds I miss if I leave them turned down like the mains an sub.

Another movie I think has some nice sound effects especially in the battle scenes is called “Appleseed” It’s anime but the story is fairly mainstream. During the opening battle not only do you hear shots and explosions all around you but also the tink…tink…tink of empty shell casings hitting the ground. There is also a scene where a single gunshot comes from off screen right that caused me to snap my head around to look where it came from. I also like the soundtrack. Worth a rent IMHO.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #165885 04/26/07 03:05 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I agree about Appleseed. I've used it to showcase my home theater a few times.

CV #165886 04/26/07 05:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I agree about Appleseed. I've used it to showcase my home theater a few times.

Nice to see someone else thinks it makes a good demo. I bought it just because I liked the movie but when I started to show off my system I found it was also one of the better all around demos I had. Sadly some people don’t like animation even when much of it is CGI based.

I’ve read that a sequel is coming out in the Fall, however apparently they are changing something about the way they are doing the CGI.

@ Theo - Thanks for the link. I missed it the first time I read your post.

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Mojo #165887 04/26/07 08:39 AM
buff
buff
Quote:

Many scenes in LOTR:ROTK. My EP600 is 12 feet away from my couch in my 4000 cubic foot space. The couch was shaking, my jeans were flapping and the entire upstairs was rippling! I was seriously scared that I would create a rip in the fabric of space-time .

LOL

Man I was anxious before reading this thread, now I just CAN'T WAIT for my VTF3-HO to get here tommarow. I have a 50 gallon aquarium with cichlids in the opposite corner of where the sub is going, I am going to have to move it before really flexing the muscles on the sub.

newbie questions on subwoofer level
bhull #165888 04/27/07 08:49 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Quote:

Many scenes in LOTR:ROTK. My EP600 is 12 feet away from my couch in my 4000 cubic foot space. The couch was shaking, my jeans were flapping and the entire upstairs was rippling! I was seriously scared that I would create a rip in the fabric of space-time

Hi,

I calibrated my sub with test tones from HT Tuneup DVD. Then I watched Black Hawk Down, and the sub was awesome. I turned it up a bit from the calibration setting, and I really felt it. The LMC-1 was at 50 volume.

For your jeans to be flapping and the house to be shaking did you crank up the sub volume quite a bit from its calibrated setting? I have been wondering: if the sub output is calibrated with an SPL meter (which is the case with mine), it's not that loud, even with the processor volume turned up quite a bit. Does that mean I am hearing LFEs the way the soundtrack mixer person wants me to hear it?

It seems like most people crank up the bass higher than calibration setting to whatever sounds good to them. What do you guys do? Leave it at calibrated setting or turn it up?

I can foresee some funny answers to this, but I'll ask anyway: how do you know if you're watching/listening with too much bass, especially when listening to classical and other music?

Regards,
Rodney

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Mains: M22 v2
Center: VP150 v2
Surrounds: QS8s v2
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK3
Re: newbie questions on subwoofer level
Rodney #165889 04/28/07 04:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

...if the sub output is calibrated with an SPL meter (which is the case with mine), it's not that loud, even with the processor volume turned up quite a bit. Does that mean I am hearing LFEs the way the soundtrack mixer person wants me to hear it?

Yes, I believe so if your receiver is decoding and setup properly for bass management.

Quote:

It seems like most people crank up the bass higher than calibration setting to whatever sounds good to them. What do you guys do? Leave it at calibrated setting or turn it up?

I think you will find many in both camps. Mine is setup pretty much flat with the RadioShack SPL meter, but with no correction factor for the meter. It's really personal preference. You want the bass to sound powerful when called upon, but not over emphasized so that it's always overbearing. It's my opinion that it is more dynamic and engaging for a soundtrack to surprise you with the low LFE at moments in the film, not loud all the time.

You also don't want to drown out the detail your other speakers are providing with too much LFE.

Again, this is just my opnion. YMMV.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457