Re: newbie questions on subwoofer level
Rodney #165900 04/30/07 09:25 PM
I
local
local
I
Hi Rodney,
You got it!
But you did all this SPL measuring from the primary seating position, didn't you? How about the poor folks that will be sitting to your left and right? To be really compulsive, you may want to repeat the measurements from their seats as well. If your frequency response is way off in various listening positions, it is time to invest in acoustic panels, a 5-mic SMS-1 unit, or buy more subwoofers and start over. Jakeman (the other John) recently showed me an article that multiple subwoofers, optimally 4, provide more uniform bass response acroos the whole seating area of a room. There is always more you can do and this is why this hobby is more like a journey rather than a destination. With friendly and knowledgeable people on this forum, I have so far enjoyed this journey very much.
John

John
Our HT

ihifi #165901 04/30/07 11:21 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
How about great sounding mid range DVD scenes?

These LFE movie examples are easy to come up with. Heck, just about any DVD made in the past five years is good. What really sounds good is when you have kick ass mid range blended with LFE. I think that’s the true test for a completely immersive movie watching experience.

My top pick for this is Mission Impossible II. There are two scenes that sound pretty sick with these Axiom mid range drivers and an EP working together. 1) Towards the beginning of the movie when that dancer is stomping away while Cruise and that little tan hottie are stealing the necklace. 2) during the car chase when the two cars get locked together and start spinning towards the ledge. There’s some pretty intense sound effects and drums.

I just watched that movie again the other night on HD/DVD. Way cool….

michael_d #165902 05/01/07 12:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

These LFE movie examples are easy to come up with. What really sounds good is when you have kick ass mid range blended with LFE.

I agree with Mike, most action movies out now have enough LFE to rattle the walls. I'm currently revisiting all my BR and HD DVD's that have PCM or Tru HD, I watched V last night on HD DVD and besides having some good LFE there were some parts in the movie that the sound was so good it almost startled me out of my seat, to me that's what really makes the movie.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
ihifi #165903 05/01/07 01:37 PM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Quote:

If your frequency response is way off in various listening positions, it is time to invest in acoustic panels

ihifi John,

Thanks. Grreat info.

You are right, I did all the tests with the meter placed where my ears would be in the primary listening position.

I'll do some more tests this weekend. I am curious to see the results from the other seating positions. My room is not that big: 15'L x 13'W.

Thanks again,
Rodney

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Mains: M22 v2
Center: VP150 v2
Surrounds: QS8s v2
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK3
Rodney #165904 05/04/07 07:15 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Another Amazon order came in…..I’ll repeat this warning for those who missed it last time. Don’t shop Amazon while drinking!! I’m not even going to mention some of the crap that came in the box.

Along with all the crap that I have no idea why it looked interesting enough to buy when I was drunk, was about forty new HD/BR disks. Can’t wait to see this CC statement……

Last night we watched “Night at the Museum” on Blue Ray. What a cute movie.. Seeing a T-rex skeleton playing fetch was pretty dam funny. The audio on this disk was about as impressive as I’ve heard yet. They went to town with the surround activity, and they did it well. It’s the first time I have ever heard a T-rex drinking from a water fountain and knew that that was exactly what was happening behind me without seeing it, or having any idea that was going to be the next scene. Way cool. The LFE in this movie was rattling things all the way through as well.

I lost a little mag light in my soffit when I was building the room. There was no way to retrieve it without tearing down sheet rock already painted - but that’s another story….. Well this stupid light rattles when things get intense. I call it my “Little flashlight test”. This movie passed the little flashlight test.

Rick: THANK YOU. MK3
Rodney #165905 05/05/07 02:26 AM
R
old hand
old hand
R
Quote:

I put in the HT Tune-up DVD, go to audio tests, start the individual channel tones, LF being first. I adjust my processor master volume to where the LF channel reads 75dB on meter. Then I leave the processor's master volume alone and go through C, RF, LS and RS and tweak their individual "volume adjust" settings in the processor until they each read 75dB on the meter.

Then I do the sub, but I adjust its volume (I usually use the volume knob on the back of the sub) until the SPL meter reads 72.5dB.

Well,

My system has been here but not used, because I've been working on pulling the QS8 wires through the wall. Now they are mounted, no wire visible. Looks goooood.

Sat down again with the SPL meter, calibrated all speakers to 75dB and sub to 72.5dB. I thought to myself, I won't even be able to hear LFE, but I'll try it anyway.

I found another thread that suggested the inside-the-whale's-mouth scene in "Finding Nemo" for good LFE.

WOW! It was awesome. The sub sounded awesome and shook me awesome, especially since the dialog before the big LFE was pretty much LFE-less, and then all of the sudden that roar... Man! Rick, thanks a bunch again for recommending this sub. I am really really glad I bought it.

Now to the tweaking of the M22s for better 2-channel sound(stage), etc.

Regards,

Rodney

Denon AVR-3312ci
Mains: M22 v2
Center: VP150 v2
Surrounds: QS8s v2
Sub: HSU VTF-2 MK3
Re: Rick: THANK YOU. MK3
Rodney #165906 05/05/07 02:33 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I think I was the one that mentioned that part of Nemo, pretty awesome huh? Just wait until you get to the Darla "Tap" part in the dentist office. And wait until you get that sub calibrated jussst right.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Re: Rick: THANK YOU. MK3
Rodney #165907 05/05/07 09:55 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Your welcome Rodney, I am pleased you are enjoying the VTF 2.3.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters