A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have recently bought myself a complete stereo system of the following:
Axiom M22Ti speakers (on stands)
Cambridge A500 amp (65 watts peak at 8 ohms)
D500 cd player
T500 tuner
kimber 4tc speaker wire and pjb interconnects

I am happy with the way the system sounds now that it's been broken in and I've played around with speaker placement (although it was pretty good when i just got it). However, I've heard suggestions that speakers should amount to about half of the total system cost. My Axioms cost about as much as my wires and interconnects, and a little more than 1/6 of my total system.

I am considering buying some bigger speakers down the road for my system, because I want more bass. An alternative may be to get a subwoofer (I used to have a Sony SAWM40 sub, but it wasn't a good match for the Axioms). My amp is claimed to be a high-current amp capable of handling 4 ohm loads. Would the M80 be too much speaker for my system? I plan to have them in a roughly 20' by 20' room.

Re: price ratio
#1658 02/16/02 04:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is a well discussed issue in audio circles. Some believe there is a formula that should be followed, others do not. Those that do have many angles, spend the greatest portion on Component A, next would be Component B,....etc. My philosphy is to balance your wants, needs and budget with the products you have listed. My personal thoughts are to favour the source, as any problems here will not be solved by the downstream pieces.

Let me ask you this....are you troubled with the purchases and the ratio? Are you happy with the sound? If you have listened to any products since, would you change your mind? If it where me, I would simply enjoy my system, and let others play the mathematical simulations. If it sounds good to you, what does it matter if you did not follow someone else's rules?

With regards to your pieces, you have made sound choices. The M80's would not be too much speaker for the Cambridge. These amps are good quality and would be a good match for the larger models. Conversely, you could add a sub to your current setup. This would increase the flexibility of your room placement

Regards,

BBIBH

Re: price ratio
#1659 03/15/02 07:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you like the M22's, I believe they match well with the Axiom EP175. If there is a pre amp sub out on your Cambridge amp, then this would probably best your best bet. It would give more bass and be less expensive than buying new floorstanding speakers.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044