Raised Floor question
#166616 04/24/07 11:20 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
My HT system is located in my basement. As some of you know from my previous posts, I have issues with lack of Bass in this room, among other things, but lack of Bass is huge.

Yesterday I had an audio "guy" come in, call him an engineer, consultant whatever, to take a bunch of sound measurements. He has built a few recording studios and owns one. He also has recorded / produced some CDs.

Point being, he should know what he is talking about and I get the sense that he does. We took several measurements (real time analyzer)and I was very happy to have the gear confirmed exactly what my ears were telling me.. Huge dip in the 65hz to 90hz range, peaks that have directly matching oposing nulls (in different octaves I think ?) , and a quick roll out of high frequencies, starts at 2K and dies at about 3.5k.

So, his first recommendation is to construct a raised floor with 2x4 on their ends 16in centers, insulate the cavity, put neoprene on the contact surface, glue some plywood and finish with a hard surface ie: hard wood or laminate. Also built a wall to enclose that section of the basement to create a smaller but rectangular room of 12' wide by 17' deep. I would like to have 2 sliding doors so that I can open it up to the rest of the room when required. Once we have the raised floor and wall done, then we would re-measure and address treatment options.

Just wondering if any of you have built raised floors in your concrete basements and if there was a significant improvement in the bass response ? Any "gotchas" or construction advice etc.. would also be greatly appreciated.

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
Re: Raised Floor question
Riker #166617 04/25/07 01:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Have you put up bass traps in all your corners? This would MUCH cheaper and easier to accomplish and will clean up your bass response quite a bit.

-Robb.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #166618 04/25/07 02:14 PM
shareholder in the making
I agree with Hutz, you would be much better off treating your corners with Bass Traps first, followed by a few first reflection panels. You don't have to do the superchunks like I did, you can just straddle the corners with panels (at least 4" thick). Treat the 4 corners first, then if you want, some people also treat the corners where floors and ceilings meet the walls.

Also, I assume you have carpeting on your floor? This makes a world of difference if you add padding/carpeting. If not, you need to at least have some throw rugs down at the first reflection points.

Also, the best position in the room with the least nulls is one that is 38% from the front wall of the total room length. Second best is 38% from the back wall. 50% is the worst, or if your right up against the back wall.

Anyway, it would be much cheaper to just build some panels. I don't see how making the adjustments that tech gave you will help with peaks/nulls.

Now, I did build a riser stage for my speakers to sit on and filled that with thick insulation. Many people don't realize that in some instances, the low bass from the speakers can actually travel through the floor and arrive at the listening position faster than the direct sound.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #166619 04/25/07 03:45 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Yes I have already built and installed Superchunk bass traps in 2 of the corners. Built with Roxul safe and sound triangles from the floor all the way up to the ceiling. Then covered with some black acoustically transparent material.

The impact on the sound was very minimal for me. It slightly improved on the echo in the room, it thighened things up a bit, but it did not improve my lack of bass energy.

I also have my listening position 38% from the back wall, I tried the from the front wall but I was way to close to the speakers, or the speakers were to close to each other so that did not work.

So, I am sitting in the proper spot, I have 2 large superchunk bass traps, and I still have the same issue I always had.. no bass in the 60ish to 90ish range.

I have carpet on the concrete floor, which seemed to be absorbing a lot of my high end, according to the graph anyways. The highs sound ok to me, but they roll off quite early on the real time analysis.

The way I understand it, the concrete floor is the main culprit in sucking out the bass energy and therefore create that huge dip. The raised floor provides decoupling and mass to the floor surface, increasing the bass energy. That's the theory anyways.

I listened to and incorporated a lot of your excellent sugestions and leveraged your experiences, but I was still not getting the results that I am after. I felt that I had tried everything I could and it was time to bring in a pro to get to the bottom of it (pun intended) once and for all.

The cost factor is not really an issue, within reason of course, but I'm not looking to save money, I'm looking to fix the problem so that I can finally enjoy the full capabilities of my equipment.

Steph

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400
Riker #166620 04/25/07 04:26 PM
Also, room size and sub placement have a lot to do with your issue as well. I found out by just moving my sub a few inches in various directions, dramatically changed my graph using Room EQ Wizzard. Also, the various trim settings like flat, half, etc. change things if you have a smaller room.

Just having 2 superchunk bass traps is not going to resolve the entire room. If you have a thick pad/carpeting that should be sufficient. Bass collects in ALL corners of the room, including floor/wall and ceiling/wall locations.

Treating the 4 corners should be a big help. I used owens corning 703, can't comment on your product. If it was me I would work on your sub placement around the room.

Riker #166621 04/25/07 04:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
As SirQ mentioned, I would suggest the "sub crawl" technique, place your sub in your primary seating position (move your couch and put the sub there), play some bass heavy music or movie, and crawl along the walls to see where the cleanest and loudest response is, that is where you want to put your sub.

-Robb.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Riker #166622 04/25/07 04:29 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Quote:

I listened to and incorporated a lot of your excellent sugestions and leveraged your experiences, but I was still not getting the results that I am after. I felt that I had tried everything I could and it was time to bring in a pro to get to the bottom of it (pun intended) once and for all.

I hope I did not come across as disrespectful, if so I apologize. There has been many really great sugestions and recommendations on this forum. I have applied those that I figured would give me the intendend result, but perhaps due to my implementation or the room entity itself, I have not achieved the results.

Constructing a new floor is quite an undertaking so I wanted to know if anyone had experience in doing something similar. Part of me is uncomfortable with creating this "dance floor" in my already finished and carpeted basement, but if it will cure the ill, then I am willing to do it.

Cheers

Riker #166623 04/25/07 04:31 PM
You might want to post a question on Ethan Winers forum on musicplayer dot com, they are the experts.

Hutzal #166624 04/25/07 04:40 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
I have also done the sub crawl a while back and the best position for the sub in my room is halfway up the side wall. That is where the bass response is best.

The issue is not related to my sub but the bass of my mains. When I have my sub engaged, and calibrated at 80db with the rest of the system, the overall bass response is "acceptable". Movies are not an issue, plenty of LFE and Bass to go around in movies. But.. and here is the really crux of the matter, when I disengage my sub, my mains sound incredibly anemic and not just because the sub is no longer playing. There is a bass robbing force at work in that room. The sub powers through it because is has the power to do that. About 2 months ago, I decided that my mains were not up to the task so I started the search to replace them. I have Energy Veritas 2.3s which are comparable to the M80s in terms of size/drivers etc.. sound characteristics is another thing and they probably sound different than the M80s, but for intents and purpose, they are decent floorstanding speakers. A fellow Axiom forum member, Kyle, sugested that I move the speakers in another room and see if they still had a lack of bass. I moved them upstairs in the living room, connected my multimedia player to my 2 channel amplifer and played bass heavy content. I was totally blown away by how much bass these speakers were pumping out. Huge amount of clean and tight bottom end.. brought them back to the basement, bass is gone. So, my experimentation has shown that the speakers are fine, the room is not.

SirQuack #166625 04/25/07 04:43 PM
R
Riker Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
R
Thanks Randy for the sugestions, I will do that and share what they tell me with you guys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters