Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Dream Theater Album out June 5th 2007
#167238 05/02/07 10:59 AM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I saw in that guitar thread a few people mention John Petrucci as one of their favorite guitarists. I recently found out they are releasing a new album. Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia.

"It is scheduled for release on June 5, 2007. Along with a standard version, the album will be released as a Special Edition containing a 5.1 mix of the album, along with a 90 minute DVD detailing the making of the album entitled "Chaos in Progress - The Making of Systematic Chaos".[3]"

The title will be Systematic Chaos.

Aaand...I have first row tickets to see them this summer

Anyway, if anyone here has never heard them, and you like very complex rock/metal compositions, I couldn't recommend them enough. Each member is a virtuoso in their own instrunment, and when they get together, it is incredible.

A great place to start is their Images and Words album which contains the only track "Pull Me Under" that got some real radio time. The rest of their stuff is not in the traditional pop radio format...lengthy, and long instrumental breaks. Pull Me Under is a great song, but far from the top of my list of their best material, but track 5 "Metropolis Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper" is IMO their best song ever.

If anyone decides to give them a listen, let me know what you think

Last edited by bhull; 05/02/07 11:00 AM.
Re: New Dream Theater Album out June 5th 2007
bhull #167239 05/02/07 09:35 PM
R
devotee
devotee
R
I have a friend who is a Super UBER Fan of DT, he also his a pretty decent guitarist and plays some DTs stuff. I play Bass guitar and appreciate good musicians , I love Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and others like John Petrucci. Being a bassist, DTs John Myung is pretty damm good, but I don't own an 8 string bass, so I can't even attempt to play it. I have seen them live once and they put on a good show. My only beef is the extremely long and repetitive virtuoso songs. Yes, it's amazing playing, but after 12 minutes, and after a whole album of 8 to 12 minute songs, I get bored, it get's tedious and boring. To much of a good thing. I will say that the only album I liked so much I actually purchased it was the last one, Octovarium. The songs are shorter and some songs are more accessible but by no means is this "poppy" radio play stuff.

Awsome music, but in small doses for me.

My 2 cents..

Cheers

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044