Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The new purchases have begun to arrive!
#16782 08/07/03 01:55 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I bought my M60/VP150/QS8 setup with an SVS 20-39PCi one year ago and have loved every minute. I've had an SACD player for about 6 months that I've been loving and have recently begun to buy DVD-Audio discs (even though I could only play the DD or DTS tracks). I've been using a 32" analog TV all this time. I decided it was time to upgrade a few things.

The Denon DVD-2900 has arrived. The Mitsubishi WT-42311 HDTV will be delivered tomorrow and Bright House Networks (formerly Time Warner) will be here Friday to drop of the hi-def cable box. I think it's going to be a fun weekend...

I'll post pictures of the completed setup within the next week.

David

Re: The new purchases have begun to arrive!
#16783 08/08/03 04:41 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I spent the morning yesterday adding the Denon DVD-2900 to the rack and rewiring everything. The TV was delivered at noon, so I spent the rest of the day calibrating the Denon and Mitsubishi. The hi-def box was installed this morning. Everything looks and sounds incredible.

I also purchased a set of component cables from Blue Jeans Cable. They are well worth the price IMO. I can't say how much of a difference they make since I just added the Denon and Mitsubishi, but I don't think you could go wrong since they cost about the same as something from Radio Shack or Best Buy.

I'll post pictures this weekend and give a more indepth impression of the new equipment after I've had time to play.

David

#16784 08/08/03 04:55 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like you're going to have one SWEET setup! Once I've finished my speaker purchases, and get a new TV, I'll be seriously considering that Denon 2900. Hopefully though by then Rotel will have come out with a uni-player. I'd love to be able to keep as much of my gear Rotel as possible. Why oh why did they make their latest DVD player DVD-A only? No SACD? Grrrr....

#16785 08/08/03 05:15 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I feel your pain, spiff. I'm running a Denon DVD-3800. DVD-A only makes me want to cry.

On a high note, my copy of Carmina Burma in DVD-A finally shipped!

#16786 08/08/03 05:52 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
My heart bleeds purple puss for you. Try just plain vanilla CDs. :-)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#16787 08/14/03 02:25 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I finally have a little time for a quick update. The Mitsubishi 42" widescreen HDTV was delivered last Thursday and the hi-def cable box was set up last Friday. I spent the day Thursday calibrating the Denon DVD-2900 and DVD input of the Mitsubishi. I dropped the contrast and brightness on the TV immediately, did a quick convergence and then used Avia to calibrate. I've also done a 64-point convergence and re-calibrated since then (thanks again Mike!). I am VERY impressed with everything. The progressive scan DVD image using the Blue Jeans component cables is incredible. I'm seeing deatils in movies that I've never noticed before. As great as the DVD images are, hi-def images are even better. The images on Discovery HD are incredible! SACD through the Denon is a least as good as the Sony 222ES I was using, but redbook CD performance is noticably better to me. This is also my first DVD-Audio player, so I'm finally hearing the hi-res layer on the discs I own and can tell the improvement over the DD or DTS that I was listening to before. Before anyone asks why I bought a 42" instead of a larger RPTV or projector, it was because:

1. My fiance wanted to keep the gorgeous entertainment center that she had built and I want to keep her
2. I can't control light in the great room.
3. We only sit 6-7 feet away. Anything bigger would have been like sitting in the front at a movie theater.

I'll add some more comments later. I'm still learning how to use the digital camera and take decent pictures, but here are a few for now:

The old setup with 32" TV.

The entertainment center doors closed on old setup.

I removed the TV stand and doors from the entertainment center to accomodate the TV. You can see the Axiom M60ti fronts and VP150 center with the Mitsubishi in the new setup.

I'll be adding acoustic sound dampening material to the center channel box and building a false front that will be covered with speaker grill cloth. It will cover all but the Mitsubishi screen.

Here's the Axiom QS8 left surround

Here's the Axiom QS8 right surround

The SVS 20-39PCi is in the corner behind the silk tree!

The Pioneer Laserdisc Player, Onkyo TX-DS696 Receiver and Denon DVD-2900 with hi-def cable box
Components.

The DVD Racks.

Here is where the DVD goes while we're watching a movie.

Since the racks were getting full, I moved the animation DVDs (below is the 400 disc CD changer.)

We have some Indiana Jones decorations (hat, whip and framed laser discs) with a movie clapboard on top of the right side of the entertainment center.

We have some instruments (saxaphone, flute, violin and trumpet) on the top left of the entertainment center.

Here are a couple of screen images from the sweet spot of the Superbit version of Legends Of The Fall:

Pic 1
Pic 2

David

#16788 08/14/03 04:20 AM
devotee
devotee
I'd be dying to test the SVS limits. Something tells me that purple thing on the glass table could/would rattle with the right movie!! Nice pics...

#16789 08/14/03 10:02 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
We move the table when watching movies, but the SVS does indeed rattle things. I gave a demo to a friend that likes it loud and the SVS shook a couple of bottles of potpourri off the kitchen plant shelf!

#16790 08/14/03 03:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Nice set up Dave. I have a question for ya. How did you run your wires to your QS8's? I didn't see them in the pictures so I figured they must be in the wall. If so, did you run the wires before or after the wall construction? I am trying to put my surrounds on the wall but I have to find a good way to do it that will pass the WAF.

J

#16791 08/14/03 04:50 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks jcole! The speaker wire is in the wall. I have a friend in the carpet business that helped me. Here's what was done:

- pulled back the carpet, ran the wire under the carpet
- restretched the carpet
- pulled off the base boards
- cut a hole in the wall behind the baseboards
- cut a hole in the wall at speaker height
- used a "fish tape" to pull the speaker wire through the wall
- ran speaker wire on top of plant shelf for left surround
- hung right surround speaker over hole
- put the baseboards back to cover holes
- patched drywall over plant shelf

It sounds complicated, but it was really pretty easy. You could even contact a local carpet company to restretch the carpet. They should do it for a nominal cost. You can buy a "fish tape" at your local home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020