Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Subwoofer time is fast approaching
CV #168181 05/15/07 12:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes, I think you are referring to the SVS debacle that happened a few months back. I believe it boiled down to SVS having paid a few employees (or evangelists, I can't remember) to fluff up their ratings on several discussion boards. It was a dumb move, to say the least.

Unless you're really holding a grudge against them for it (whic is understandable, online companies live and die by their reputation), don't dismiss their subs. Granted, the EP500/EP600 are monster subs, that will give you years and years of heart palpitations. But HSU and SVS offerings aren't slouches either. The VTF-3HO, while looking like a prop from a 50's scifi movie, has a lot of glowing praise to be found. The new SVS PB13, and redesigned PCi-Ultra look like a beastly subs. Both are several hundred bucks cheaper than the EP600, and may or may not offer similar performance, as they've not been released yet. They PB13 offers 'room compensation' as well, which could be an interesting trick.

I still simply love my PCi+ 20-39. Very musical, very even and smooth bass response, but is able to slam hard enough to feel it in your chest, scare the cat, and make the neighbors complain.

You can not imagine the impact that a good sub makes. I debated for a couple of years over dumping my aging Kenwood craptastic sub. When I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 'real' sub, the difference was astounding. No matter which company you choose, welcome to the club.

Quote:

Were they the ones with the questionable marketing practices, or was that someone else?

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 05/15/07 12:55 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #168182 05/15/07 02:23 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Yes, I think you are referring to the SVS debacle that happened a few months back. I believe it boiled down to SVS having paid a few employees (or evangelists, I can't remember) to fluff up their ratings on several discussion boards. It was a dumb move, to say the least.

Unless you're really holding a grudge against them for it (whic is understandable, online companies live and die by their reputation), don't dismiss their subs. Granted, the EP500/EP600 are monster subs, that will give you years and years of heart palpitations. But HSU and SVS offerings aren't slouches either. The VTF-3HO, while looking like a prop from a 50's scifi movie, has a lot of glowing praise to be found. The new SVS PB13, and redesigned PCi-Ultra look like a beastly subs. Both are several hundred bucks cheaper than the EP600, and may or may not offer similar performance, as they've not been released yet. They PB13 offers 'room compensation' as well, which could be an interesting trick.

I still simply love my PCi+ 20-39. Very musical, very even and smooth bass response, but is able to slam hard enough to feel it in your chest, scare the cat, and make the neighbors complain.

You can not imagine the impact that a good sub makes. I debated for a couple of years over dumping my aging Kenwood craptastic sub. When I finally bit the bullet and ordered a 'real' sub, the difference was astounding. No matter which company you choose, welcome to the club.

Quote:

Were they the ones with the questionable marketing practices, or was that someone else?

I had no idea that went on with SVS...damn thats dumb lol. I dont like the fact they did that but I wouldnt NOT buy there sub becasue of it...if it was the one I wanted.

Thats why I am waiting to look at subs till the new ultras are out. The ep600 would have a harder time getting waf but not impossible I think. I will probably end up with one or the other. The SVS sounds nice on paper...

I have dual 20-39cs+ on a samson 1000 amp...corner loaded...and I like bass heavy rap and just bass music. Lets just say I have broke a few things in the house lol

CV #168183 05/15/07 03:26 PM
aficionado
aficionado
You've made a fine choice with the EP600. I used to have a SVS Ultra and it was no contest in overall quality so I sold it last year, though in fairness to SVS it does cost less than the EP600. The better comparison is with the EP500 price wise and again the SVS sub did not compare well as borne out by listening tests. Craig was being very charitable in his SVS ranking in light of how the unanimous consensus at his place which Jack and I attended in late 2005 was the EP500 was the better sub.

The problem with nearly all the SVS subs is the characteristic mid-bass hump in frequency response which is a result of overrreaching with deep extension. The Axioms are just better sounding subs and with more overall output. The new Ultra design is supposed correct those shortcomings and be more linear. A more powerful amp will be a big improvement over the underpowered plate amps they typically use. It will be interesting to see how it performs when its released this fall.

The only real serious contender to the Axiom EP subs if you are looking for a vented HT sub is the HSU VTF-3 HO. Hsu has designed an excellent sub with loads of articulate output, that extends deeper than the EP subs though again is not as linear as Axiom's DSP subs but much better than the SVS subs.

On the question of ethical lapses, it has been discussed at length and we each make our own decisions. Personally, I regard SVS guerrilla marketing as indicative of a mindset that I don't care to associate with so I won't be buying any more of their products.

John
PeterChenoweth #168184 05/15/07 07:40 PM
B
buff
buff
B
I've got a PB13 on preorder. Looks to be a very nice sub. If I decide to cancel I'll go with the EP500 and order a second one later.

Bill3508

jakeman #168185 05/15/07 10:06 PM
C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Thank you for the thoughtful responses, everyone. It sounds like the EP600 will do what I want it to, and I get to support Axiom again, which I like. The other possibilities are tempting, but I think in this case I'll find it's worth the money to stick with Axiom. Hopefully in three weeks I'll have an OMG post to share with all of you.

CV #168186 05/25/07 10:44 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Okay, so I ordered the EP600 today. It shipped, too. Now it's a whole lot of waiting and being unable to sleep.

CV #168187 05/26/07 12:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
You picked a good one! Enjoy it. By the way, you might want to start exercising now so you can move that big boy around when the time comes.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #168188 05/26/07 12:43 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ha ha, yeah. It reminds me of when I got my 32" Sony CRT HDTV. It was somewhere between 150-200 lbs, but I was too impatient to wait for a friend to come help me move it onto my then-new entertainment stand. It just about killed me, but I picked up half of it and placed it on a chair, then lifted it the rest of the way with the chair's assistance. I really didn't know if I was going to make it, but yeah, screw waiting for friends.

CV #168189 05/26/07 12:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Earlier this week, my co-worker told me a similar story. He was moving out and the last thing left was his 36" CRT tv. All his friends took off and he decided to lift the tv by himself and carry it down one flight of stairs. He did. Got himself a hernia, too.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #168190 05/26/07 01:00 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ouch. I can't imagine actually carrying even my 32" (well, now my sister's 32") anywhere, let alone down some stairs. I hope to never experience the hernia, but I probably will. It just seems like my future.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters