Rate Thread
Vintage Kenwood KA-9100 help
#168484 05/20/07 04:29 AM
C
regular
OP Offline
regular
C
Sorry for the oversized pics .Hi , I have a Kenwood ka 9100 amplifier .Iam having problems connecting it to my mixer .When I turn the power on the VU meters light up . But when I hook it up to mixer I get no sound . I ve tried making connections every which way , but still doesnt work .Either Im connecting it wrong or it just doesnt work .If I have RCA cables from the AUX on my mixer , where on the amplifier would they go ?Someone also told me I need sometype of mini U shaped plug that connects to the back of the amplifier. Would I have my monitors going from the mixer or the amplifier ?Heres some images,can you show me the correct way to connect the amplifier to the mixer .

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

[image][/image]

Re: Vintage Kenwood KA-9100 help
chromedome #168485 05/20/07 06:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Im not sure how to connect up your mixer. Without reading the manual on it I dont know what the inputs and outputs are on it by just looking at it.

However if you were going to hook up an equalizer or something you would generally take the output from the pre-out into the EQ, and out from the EQ into the power in on the reciever, and then move the switch on the back from normal to seperate.

chromedome #168486 05/20/07 01:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Keep in mind that an integrated amplifier is the same as a receiver, only without the radio tuner (e.g. it's a preamp and an amplifier), so I'll refer to it as the "Kenwood" just to differentiate from a separate amplifier.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to get the sound output from the Kenwood to go to the mixer then to the speakers? Or, are you trying to hook up your sources (CD/DVD player, phonos, etc.) to the mixer and then send that output to the Kenwood then to the speakers?

If you are attempting the former (Kenwood to mixer to speakers) you would need a separate power amplifier between the mixer and the speakers. A mixer should always be thought of as a form of pre-amplifier, meaning that in the chain of connection, it comes before the amplification. Speakers must always be connected to some sort of amplifier so, unless you have another amplifier, the speakers must be connected to the speaker outputs of the Kenwood .

If you are attempting the latter (mixer to Kenwood to speakers), you would connect an output from the mixer (like the left and right AUX OUT) to an input on the Kenwood (like the left and right AUX INPUT). The output volume from the mixer would then be controlled by the "AUX OUT" knob on the right side of the mixer just below the "BOOTH" volume control. Also, you'd need to set the Kenwood's input selector to "AUX," and the Kenwood's volume knob would also affect the volume going to the speakers.

Giving us as much info as you can, such as what exactly you are hooking up to the mixer (turntables?, CD players?, etc?) and what you are attempting to do, would be helpful.

P.S. Resize dem photos before posting, please.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
chromedome #168487 05/20/07 03:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Holy large photos Batman.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ajax #168488 05/20/07 09:55 PM
C
regular
OP Offline
regular
C
"Or, are you trying to hook up your sources (Turntables) to the mixer and then send that output to the Kenwood then to the speakers?"

That is exactly what Iam trying to do .

"If you are attempting the latter (mixer to Kenwood to speakers), you would connect an output from the mixer (like the left and right AUX OUT) to an input on the Kenwood (like the left and right AUX INPUT). The output volume from the mixer would then be controlled by the "AUX OUT" knob on the right side of the mixer just below the "BOOTH" volume control. Also, you'd need to set the Kenwood's input selector to "AUX," and the Kenwood's volume knob would also affect the volume going to the speakers."

I have done that but I get no sound from the speakers .
Also for the speaker connection , I just placed the speaker wire in the base of the terminal and tightened it up .Do I need a certain speaker connector for the terminals on the Kenwwod ?

Should there be some type of connection here

The Kenwood powers on , I just think Iam not connecting it the right way .Or maybe the Kenwood just doesnt work

chromedome #168489 05/20/07 10:10 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
You could directly connect the mixer to the power in terminals--this would bypass the pre-amp fuctions entirely--no volume control on the kenwood.

It may be that there needs to be a connection between the pre out and power in terminals on the Kenwood. I have had old receivers like that. You can just use a regular rca ended double coax cable for that.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #168490 05/20/07 10:19 PM
C
regular
OP Offline
regular
C
"You could directly connect the mixer to the power in terminals--this would bypass the pre-amp fuctions entirely--no volume control on the kenwood.

It may be that there needs to be a connection between the pre out and power in terminals on the Kenwood. I have had old receivers like that. You can just use a regular rca ended double coax cable for that."

Thanks ,I thought there should be some type of connection there .Iam going to try that out .

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!!!!!!!

chromedome #168491 05/20/07 10:23 PM
C
regular
OP Offline
regular
C
Could not edit the oversized pics , so I started a new thread. Feel free to post there .

Thanks

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters