Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Pics
HAY #169573 06/04/07 09:54 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice room.
Is that the 'The Exorcist' playing on the TV?
My face will look just the same as the cat watching that movie w/ your system.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #169574 06/05/07 02:07 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
OK, I guess I have to be the party-pooper. I can’t believe no one else has said anything to you, so I’ll apologize for saying it first………

Pull those 80’s out, toe them in some and let them breath. If you like the way they sound now, you’re going to be blown away when you get them the space they need. Move them to where they have at least six inches behind them, and around six inches of space all around them. When you toe them in, point them at an imaginary point six feet behind your favorite seating location. Move the 600 around the room by doing the “crawl” method. Leave it where it sounds best, provided it’s a spot in the room you can live with.

Great looking speakers, and again, sorry for being a party-pooper.

michael_d #169575 06/05/07 04:06 PM
shareholder in the making
I was thinking the same thing, Mike... You've got them all confined! Boundary effects! Danger, Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
ditcin #169576 06/05/07 06:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Beautiful system, you've got there. Really great looking Axioms, and I dig the side-axis speakers. The size of the EP600 never ceases to amaze me .

But, I have to say, I agree with the other posters. It's too congested. Those M80's are *not* reaching their full potential being boxed in like that. There's also going to be a lot of bass vibrating through that left M80, being sandwiched right up against the EP600. I can't help but think that might have weird effects on the sound.

Of course, you have to make due with what you have, but I bet you'd get a nice improvement in SQ if you removed one or both of those bookshelves flanking the TV, and then readjusted the space accordingly to give those M80's some breathing room.

Good luck, and thanks for the pix!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #169577 06/05/07 09:45 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I have to agree with the last three posters. That was exactly the first thing that came to my mind.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #169578 06/05/07 11:49 PM
ditcin Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The advice given about pulling out the M80s and toe’ing them in is correct. In fact that’s the way they were- pulled out and over boarding each side of the TV. However due the constraints of the room they did stick out a bit too much and also added a channel for the center speaker which, no matter what I did had a limited dispersion due to the two M80s causing boarder.
I also turned the center upside down to aim it directly at the viewer – but still the M80s continued to cause a problem.
Neglecting the obvious I played musical “chairs” with the speaker placement and just happened to put them into the order you now see.
I was surprised to fine not only did it open up the center channel but it also cleared up and expanded the width of the M80s in terms of getting further away from the center allowing them to shine as distinct signal.
Although they appear to be pushed back up against the wall they are not. There is still over 5in of space behind them to the wall, and yes, they are slightly toed-in towards the viewer. The unique structure of the Axiom cabinet allows this due to tapering.
In the many hours of “playing” with endless positioning, re-calibrating, and such I found the most unlikely of locations works.
Although there certain rules of thumb we can all apply and adhere to sometimes different situations and acoustics with in a room break and or allow normally set rules to be bent or even broken. There are so many elements, even the power of the receiver used, that can dictate what can and can’t be done.
In the past I had tried something like this with Polk towers, but at the time had a Denon that was nowhere as powerful as what I have now. It just didn’t sound right. Then again now Axioms have been into the equation as well and I find them very forgiving, and incredibly wider and detailed.

I also found that the sub just disappears. My fear was it would "lean" the spectrum" over to that side, but know. I played with the setting on that baby for weeks.

To answer someone's question - yes, it is THE EXORCIST on the TV. It's the very first DVD version ever release - although it hasn't the best sound, it still has the best color of any version since, and has become a bit of collector's piece because of it. The depth of color is just fantastic unlike later ones where the director played with the tonal values and tinted certain scenes blue.

ditcin #169579 06/05/07 11:53 PM
M
M
Scott,

I didn't want to be critical of your set-up because frankly I saw that you didn't have too many options. I didn't want to start something between you and the Mrs. .

Mojo #169580 06/11/07 01:45 AM
ditcin Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Mojo
No offence taken. I had posted a reply earlier but it seems to have disappeared?!
In any case - you're correct, room, or lack of is problem. But afte much testing I'm happy to say the sound is better than think most speakers would deliver. I held my second audition today, and I really enjoyed the company of the person who was interest in these speakers. I find the general feeling is surprise over the quality of the speakers and a bit a mystery over the fact they aren't available in stores. There's a little of apprehension as well over ordering speakers online, or over the phone, especially out of the country. But I assure them it's all legit and well worth the purchase. I love to see their expressions over the size and power, yet subtle presence at times, over the EP600. Also, their reactions over the directional clarity of the sounds in 5.1.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 715 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup