Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Emotiva ...who has em and what are your thoughts
axiom_man #169723 06/07/07 01:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This hotly debated. Maybe not so hotly debated here, but it is throughout the rest of the AV world. Some folks will tell you that there should be absolutely no sound difference, so long as each amplifier (seperate vs. internal 3803) is running within its specifications. Others will tell you that different amps can make a difference in the sound quality; the idea that (different parts) + (different construction) + (human pride on expensive equipment) = different sound.

I would say to listen to neither camp and make your own decision based on your own thoughts and experiences. Purchase an amp that fits your budget and needs from somewhere that has a full money-back guarantee and try it for yourself in your home on your system.

All I really know in the debate is that my LPA-1 drives my M80's significantly better than my AVR does. Again, this may be into the realm of physical specifications, as my AVR is only rated down to 6ohm speakers. I've done back-to-back testing where the differences are quite real. Sibilance, bass impact & longevity, and perceived distortion do sound different to me between AVR and LPA, with the LPA offering smoother highs and cleaner, less 'fuzzy' bass. But again, just my opinion.

Quote:

So you guys can tell me that If I got an MPS and ran the Left/Right mains and the centre channel off it and I ran the rears from the Denon I will not notice and improvement?

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 06/07/07 01:15 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Re: Emotiva ...who has em and what are your thoughts
axiom_man #169724 06/07/07 01:19 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Read this. My family couldn't tell the difference between my Denon and my wife's dinky Sony. Note that I was playing the Sony well within its specifications.

Re: Emotiva ...who has em and what are your though
Mojo #169725 06/07/07 01:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I am very happy with my Denon 3608 and I know I'm not using all the power it dishes out. But yet, some part of me craves separate amps. When I analyze my reasons it apprears to come down to the fact that they would look REALLLLLY cool on my shelf with the other gear.

I have no idea if I would get better sound or not, I wouldn't even try to fake enough knowledge to make a guess, but there is something to be said for the placebo effect.

Freakin Human Nature! Thinks it's so smart!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Emotiva ...who has em and what are your though
ravi_singh #169726 06/08/07 08:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Especially for rear and center channels, they don't require much power. The mains are what take the most juice.

Are you considering purchasing a strong 2 channel amp for your mains, and using the built in amp from the Denon? If the Denon is not powering your mains, it will have tons of power supply left for the center and rears.

I've got a fully loaded MPS-1 and other than 2 channels the had a hiss and were replaced, I love the system. I've had no shutdown problems and can play at ear splitting levels but prefer not to. With Emo there is an option to get 3 - 200W amps for the mains and center, but they also have 2 x 75W blocks that slip into the same slot that should be adequate for the surrounds. The advantage to having 7 - 200W blocks for me was that when I had a problem with the 2 channels, I reset the system for 5.1 and was still in business.

Scott

Scott

My HT
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616