Rate Thread
Full Metal Bracket Review.
#16992 08/08/03 01:38 PM
F
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
F
I ordered one of the FMBs from the FO because I was looking for a way to mount my QS8. The QS8 needed to mount over a picture window that would put it too close to the ceiling. I also just put up a curtain rod to allow me to darken the room for movies and that would have made me move the QS8 even higher so it would have been very close to the ceiling. The sound was very poor when I had it mounted about 4 inches from the ceiling.

I got the FMB and it arrived very over packaged. It came with an allen wrench. I was dissapointed that it did not come with any screws. It is very well made and strong. I was worried that the heavy QS8 would sag or turn the joints but that is not an issue at all because it has grooves that hold the joints in place.

I installed the base over the curtain rod with about a 1" spacer behind it so the QS8 would be in front of the rod. I screwed the mount to the back of the QS8 at the top so when installed, the QS8 hangs down in front of the rod and angled slighly down to the listening position. My banana plug still would not fit because it would hit the bracket so I had to use the wire like on my other QS8s.

It worked great and the speaker sounds much better. Overall, I am very happy with the Full Metal Bracket.

Re: Full Metal Bracket Review.
#16993 08/13/03 08:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do you have a picture of your mounting? I'm curious what you did. I've been trying to avoid drilling the speakers but it seems that would be the best way. Did you drill yours? I'm also curious how the spacer looked like, did you make it out of wood and just paint it?

Re: Full Metal Bracket Review.
#16994 08/14/03 01:09 PM
F
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
F
I do not have a digital camera. I drove four 5/8 inch long wood screws into the back of my QS8 to hold the bracket on. The spacer was just a piece of plywood a little bigger than the bracket. I was planning on painting it, however, there is no way to see it with it being behind the speaker with the speaker up high and angled down slightly.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,476
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 1,022 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup