Print Thread
Rate Thread
Why I love my M3v2's
#169999 06/07/07 11:59 PM
RobH Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I am on my second pair of M3's. The first pair I mistakenly sold while I took a foray into building some DIY speakers. My current M3's are powered by the new Onkyo A-9555 integrated amplifier. The Onkyo is a gem of an amplifier. It is a hybrid class D digital amp; and is smooth as silk paired with the M3's. I own a Panasonic XR-25 digital amp and the Onkyo is light years ahead of it in sound. CD's that I wouldn't listen to with my old receivers, due to harshness, are very listenable with the Onkyo. I know some say that amplifiers don't make a difference in sound. The Onkyo definitely sounds much better than either the Denon, Onkyo, or Panasonic receivers I used previously.

Last weekend, I went to our local high-end audio shop in Colorado Springs. I went, wanting to look at turntables and possibly listen to some vinyl on their systems. I haven't heard vinyl since the seventies, and was looking forward to hearing it on a high-end system. Well, high-end it was. Macintosh monoblock amps, powering a pair of ($19,000!) McIntosh XRT-28 speakers. I'm not sure of the turntable, but definately high-end, based on the platter size and appearance. The cut they played was Monday Morning by Fleetwood Mac from the album "Fleetwood Mac." In anticipation, I was ready to be blown away. Unfortunately, I wasn't. First off, even before the song played, I was hearing hiss (loudly) from the speakers before a signal was introduced. Granted, these were very large speakers and high powered amps, but my Onkyo is dead silent when on. Then the song started. It sounded okay...but only okay. Not much bass, and no real "punch" to the sound. Yes it was smooth, but it didn't really grab you. Granted, this was NOT a scientific test of vinyl vs cd. In fact, I didn't listen to a cd through the same system.
I was hoping, though, to really be blown away, and I wasn't.

When I came home, I loaded up my Fleetwood Mac (remastered) Greatest Hits and played the same song (Monday Morning). Wow! The little M3's sounded larger than the humongous Macintosh XRT-28's. Puchy, tight bass, and crisp. Needless to say, I am very pleased with my M3's and the Onkyo A-9555.

Again, I reiterate, I didn't get to hear a variety of music on the McIntosh system. I've got to believe the XRT-28's must sound great with the right source. But, the lowly Axiom M3's sounded better on the cut I heard.

Re: Why I love my M3v2's
RobH #170000 06/08/07 04:02 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Thanks for the nice review Rob.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16