Page 1 of 2 1 2
CD Player vs. DVD Player for Audio- My Experience
#170153 06/11/07 07:51 PM
K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
As a few of you who have read my earlier post know I have been pondering as to whether or not to replace my cd player for redbook cd playback since my old Sony (so old I can't even remember the model number) died over a year ago. I have been using my Panasonic DVD player (CP72) for playing cd's as well as dvd's since that time, feeding the signal via optical cable to my Outlaw 990 pre/pro and letting it do the digital to analog conversion. Things sounded really nice but I kept wondering if a high quality dedicated cd player would make a difference. Well a couple of weeks ago I came upon a very nice deal on an Arcam CD192 so I went for it.

The Arcam is a very nice unit, what I think most people would consider audiophile quality however, at the lower end of that spectrum even though it lists for I believe $1,599. Long story short, I'm glad I bought it. I think the best way to describe the difference is "smoothness." It takes the rough edges off of the music and adds depth. I never really understood some of those expressions until now. I've found listening less fatiguing, especially with headphone listening. However, the differences are subtle. The Outlaw 990 does a nice job and I am very happy with it, but the Arcam is definitely a step up when I listen to cd's, especially well mastered and recorded ones. It will not make bad recordings sound good, nor should it, but it makes the good stuff sound sweet.

Anyway, I don't know if upgrading my dvd player would have done the same thing, but I am convinced that there is definitely a difference in the sound quality when upgrading the source player.

By the way, the store where I purchased the Arcam is a very high end store with obviously some very knowledgeable staff. They recommended that once I got the unit home I put a cd in it, hit the repeat button, and let it play for at least 3 to 4 days straight before I did any listening. And then, never turn the player off. They suggested that it takes about 24 hours for the player to properly warm up so that it is at it's sonic best so I should just leave it on as they do with every player they have in the store. I thought that was interesting.

Re: CD Player vs. DVD Player for Audio- My Experience
korkster #170154 06/11/07 08:22 PM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Glad you like your new player.

As for leaving it on, I'd sure like to find some quantitative data to support all of this belief in warm-up times.

Mojo #170155 06/11/07 10:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
And away we go....

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Re: CD Player vs. DVD Player for Audio- My Experi
korkster #170156 06/12/07 12:10 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Anyway, I don't know if upgrading my dvd player would have done the same thing, but I am convinced that there is definitely a difference in the sound quality when upgrading the source player.

By the way, the store where I purchased the Arcam is a very high end store with obviously some very knowledgeable staff. They recommended that once I got the unit home I put a cd in it, hit the repeat button, and let it play for at least 3 to 4 days straight before I did any listening. And then, never turn the player off. They suggested that it takes about 24 hours for the player to properly warm up so that it is at it's sonic best so I should just leave it on as they do with every player they have in the store. I thought that was interesting.

No comment.
Actually the comments have already been made, about 50,000 times already.

The tagline says all that needs be said.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
korkster #170157 06/12/07 02:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Just curious, how was the new player connected ? Did you still use an optical connection or was the Arcam handling the D/A duties ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
chesseroo #170158 06/12/07 02:24 AM
K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
Like I said, I know that there is all kinds of debate out there about a lot of this stuff. The guy who sold the player to me is actually one of the owners of this very high end but small scale business. He's also blind, and as a result I'm sure has a very discerning ear, probably much more than any of us. I'm sure he hears things that we wouldn't notice at all.

Part of the problem is that some would like to make what makes better sound completely objective based solely on scientific facts and measurements. I think listening to music is much more subjective than that, and what sounds "better" to one person may not mean anything to another. It's just not that simple. I'm betting my wife wouldn't notice any difference (nor would she care). I didn't mean to stir up the pot; just wanted to share my experience for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.

korkster #170159 06/12/07 02:30 AM
M
M
I certainly didn't think that you were stirring up the pot.

As an engineer, I am really trying to understand if there are any physical reasons for reported higher audio quality when systems are "warmed up".

bridgman #170160 06/12/07 02:32 AM
K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
Bridgman,

I'm letting the DAC's(two for each channel)do the conversion in the player and sending it to the pre/pro via analog. Then bypassing all of the electronics in the pre/pro, which the Outlaw 990 allows you to do, as the signal goes to the amp. Taking advantage of the excellent electronic components (at least according to reviews) in the Arcam.

Mojo #170161 06/12/07 04:57 PM
K
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
K
Mojo,

I wish I could give you an explanation as well but I am far from being knowledgeable about the technical side of this stuff. I just know what sounds good to me. I'm betting that any discernable difference has got to be very subtle, but the gentleman who sold it to me was very direct about it being a good thing to do. Maybe it was "snake oil" but I figure it can't hurt. I never shut my computer off either.

As an example of the difference I noticed with the higher quality dedicated cd player, I was listening to the recent Neil Young release "Live at Massey Hall." It was recorded in the early seventies and was a concert that he did solo. He accompanies himself either on acoustic guitar or piano depending on the song. I noticed when listening to the headphones especially, that I could always tell when he was about to play piano before the song began because I could hear the piano bench "squeak" as he shifted on it before beginning to play. I had not heard that before. It's that kind of detail that I really enjoy. It gives me a better sense of what I might be hearing if I were there sitting next to the stage.

korkster #170162 06/12/07 08:07 PM
M
M
Quote:

I noticed when listening to the headphones especially, that I could always tell when he was about to play piano before the song began because I could hear the piano bench "squeak" as he shifted on it before beginning to play.

That's very interesting! I too am in the market for a CD/DVD player and have often wondered if there are noticeable differences between a $300 unit and a $1500 unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters