Print Thread
Rate Thread
To all the dads
#170383 06/17/07 10:12 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
shareholder in the making
Happy Father's Day, all you dads! To those of you celebrating your first, I wish you extra patience and zen-like calmness in the years to come. I know I need it.

I'm celebrating all by myself. My wife and kids are in California for almost two more weeks. I just returned from vacation + work conference, but not without a small list of projects to accomplish on the house while little fingers aren't around to hinder progress.

I just finished cooking a father's day meal for myself. Being a lazy chef, I elected to do a one pot meal and pretty much made it up on the spot, but not before bouncing some ideas off my own father. We can always talk about cooking together. Here's what I made and how I made it.

3 tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 med onion
1 tsp cracked pepper blend
1 tsp smoked paprika powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 cup dry white wine
1.5 cup baldo or arborio rice (essential for creamy texture)
3 cups chicken broth
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles
1 package Polish sausage (any "horseshoe" variety)

Chop the bell pepper and onion into 3/4 inch pieces. Heat olive oil in a large-ish high-sided pan (not non-stick), add chopped items and sautee on high heat until onions are translucent and bell pepper is no longer crisp (~ 3 minutes). Add cracked pepper and stir in. Leave without stirring an additional 30 - 60 seconds so browning occurs, then add wine and scrape up browned bits.

Add rice and mix to incorporate. Reduce temperature to medium and stir for about 1 minute, being sure to scrape pan bottom to prevent rice sticking. Add chicken broth and tomotoes, stir well, and cover pan. When it begins to simmer, stir once more, cover, and reduce temp to low. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add sausage. Check liquid level and rice softness. If it's too hard, add more liquid a 1/2 cup at a time. Cook 5 minutes longer, watching carefully toward the end so that rice doesn't burn and stick to bottom (oops!)

Very tasty!

Last edited by pmbuko; 06/17/07 10:33 PM.
Re: To all the dads
pmbuko #170384 06/18/07 04:20 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yum. Starch, meat, fat, spice. Wish I were with you to help celebrate. Actually, if you'll visit the beer thread, you will wish you had been with me But I'll bet your food was fantastic. Thanks for sharing the recipe and inspiration.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 354 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup