Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pandora
#170637 06/19/07 07:33 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I haven't used Pandora in a while, and I thought someone posted on here a while back that it got blocked in the US and Canada by some garbage the RIAA is trying to pull.

I decided to fire it up today and it is working fine. Am I remembering in correctly (known to happen) or did something change?

Re: Pandora
Zarak #170638 06/19/07 07:40 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think the lawyers are still fighting it out, and that internet radio sites including Pandora and Radio Paradise were blocked in CANADA prior to an injunction or some other legal gymnastics. I don't remember losing access to Pandora in the US. I'm not sure the RIAA is in control of the situation; my recollection is that there is legislation pending to dramatically increase the royalties paid by internet radio stations, effectively putting them out of business. So, I think we can blame the RIAA lobbyists and our legislators.

But, I'm doing this from memory, so I could be way off.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Zarak #170639 06/19/07 07:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've been using Pandora every business day for the last few months. If it ever gets the ax, I will be majorly bummed.

Up until the last week or two, their rotating ads have included a plea to call your Congressman about the bill that affects them. I have been hoping that the recent absence of that message means that they have been victorious, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #170640 06/19/07 08:13 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Pandora was cut-off in Canada last month I have been listening to Radio Paradise since, which coincidentally will only be available on a no charge basis for 25 more days (according to their webpage).

Zarak #170641 06/19/07 08:50 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I was rocking to Pandora last night here in the states.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #170642 06/20/07 01:51 AM
devotee
devotee
My understanding is that a panel of judges- there was a $10.00 name for the panel, ruled that the online broadcasters were not entitled to some kind of royalty rate they were using. A new royalty scheme was dreamed up which would put them out of business. It seems (touch axiom wood veneer) that enough people raised enough hell with their elected representatives that something was done in washington. Either legislation or some kind of injunction, to prevent the scheduled rate increase on I beleive may 15. I was fully expecting pandora to go silent on that day, it didn't.
Apparently, whatever rule or loophole they were using to broadcast outside the us was screwed in all this so non-us ip's are dissalowd. Of course there are ways around that if you want it bad enough
I doubt this is over- the riaa won't rest until we only hear what they tell us to listen to. Dam commie bastards.
Ok- I found one of the emails from pandora-

Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help. The survival of Pandora and all of Internet radio is in jeopardy because of a recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC to almost triple the licensing fees for Internet radio sites like Pandora. The new royalty rates are irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays and broadcast radio doesn't pay these at all. Left unchanged, these new royalties will kill every Internet radio site, including Pandora.

In response to these new and unfair fees, we have formed the SaveNetRadio Coalition, a group that includes listeners, artists, labels and webcasters. I hope that you will consider joining us.

Please sign our petition urging your Congressional representative to act to save Internet radio: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541

Please feel free to forward this link/email to your friends - the more petitioners we can get, the better.

Understand that we are fully supportive of paying royalties to the artists whose music we play, and have done so since our inception. As a former touring musician myself, I'm no stranger to the challenges facing working musicians. The issue we have with the recent ruling is that it puts the cost of streaming far out of the range of ANY webcaster's business potential.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to sign our petition - it WILL make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners, are by far our biggest and most influential allies.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)

duckman #170643 06/27/07 01:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I had a major scare yesterday. Pandora was off the air. This time it was voluntary, as they participated in the Day of Silence to protest the proposed legislation that will triple their royalty fees.

They are back on today, but it seems that they are not out of danger as I had hoped.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters