Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
"Riding with the King" DTS - AWESOME!!
#17224 08/11/03 08:39 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
For anyone that enjoys the Blues, B.B. King teamed up with Eric Clapton on an album called "Riding with the King". Fortunatley they put the album out on DVD-Audio as well. Now I don't have a DVD-A player, but I do own a HK-525 and the DTS track is purely blissfull!
I love the blues, and though I'm blessed to be able to listen to great recordings of the blues there is just no substitute for actually being at a concert. Live, is the way to listen to the blues...and Live is what the sound mixing engineer had in mind! Now this isn't a review, so I'm not gonna get into any detail, I'm not an audiophile, I'm just a guy who knows the blues. Pick up a copy and see for yourselves. But to give you an idea, looking at the stage you'll hear Clapton on the left with vocals and guitar. B.B. in the middle with the drums behind him. On the right you'll hear the back up girls and piano. And the bass underlies the entire track. This is how just about every blues stage is set up, and the really nice thing about the mix is it's consistency. Every song was mixed the same way. You always know when clapton is stepping in with a lick. And, well, B.B. as usual is either playing or singing...since he never learned to do both at the same time. And then the songs are pure blues licks, with no R&B hints at all! This ones a classic!

Grass grows green when manuer is placed upon it.
Re: "Riding with the King" DTS - AWESOME!!
#17225 08/11/03 08:42 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I wasn't aware of this recording. Thank you very much for the heads up.

#17226 08/11/03 09:47 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Not a problem! I'm itching to get home and hear it again!

#17227 08/11/03 10:08 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Howdy, fellow blues'r.. And a purist no less? "..with no R&B hints at all !"
I see yer from the Lone Star state, so what's yer take on SRV ? The dude was something of a mixer.. Texas style roadhouse bluses, heavily influenced by yet another King (Albert), and a lover (and player) of jazz.. Hard combo not to like, but he had his moments..
As for me, I luv him.. I also dig good accoustic slide players, real harp players, and singers that can make you feel the heat..
When I'm left praying for rain, I know I've been listing to some good work..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#17228 08/12/03 01:17 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
SRV is a hero around here. My friends and I have spent many a night drinking beers and listening to the late, great Mr. Vaughn. I have a few of his albums, and DVD's in concert (he was in prime form at his Austin City Limits show). Of course when he played his "texas blues" style was when I always thought he shined. He dug jazz, and a little r&b, but it always seemed to me like he would throw those songs in just to try and be a little more mainstream. To me the only guys who ever made the whole "Rock-pop-bluesy-r&b" thing work was ZZ-Top. So it's not really that I'm a purist or don't like it, it's just that I like to sit down pop in a blues cd, and listen to it...but then sometimes there's a song that tries to be something other than blues and it interupts the mood. Just imagine watching "INDEPENDENCE DAY" and in the scene just after Will Smith crashes his plane and opens the hatch to the alien, well instead of the alien your used to popping out, you get Jar-Jar Binks!! That's what I mean. I just doesn't fit, especially when the pure blues is so good. Ahh, did you get a chance to see the SRV tribute? Theres an assortment of fine players! I only wish they had the Harp player from "Blues Travler" also. And yes, I own Blues Brothers and Blues Brothers 2000.

#17229 08/12/03 03:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I suppose you guys already have heard John Lee Hooker's album "Mr. Lucky"? He features different guests on each track, many coming from outside the blues genre, so it may not be "pure" blues... but it is an awesome CD. Old world blues authenticity with Hooker, some great guitar work, and a very nice recording.
Also if you guys like SRV, you may also like Melvin Taylor and the Slack Band. The disc I have (Dirty Pool) is one of the best sounding recordings I have for my Axioms. He clearly doesn't have the talent of SRV and other greats - and he tries too hard at times - but the sound is very good.

#17230 08/12/03 04:14 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
The title track for "Riding with the King" was composed by another favorite - John Hiatt. While I enjoy virtually all of his work, his "Crossing Muddy Waters" disk is a compelling portrait of the blues.

Most of the conversation in this thread has been related to electric blues. I'm a fan, but I also want to point out the rich diversity of this genre, including great work by Joe Williams (I like the later stuff, not the Basie big band stuff). I also really appreciate Keb Mo' - he's a bit more mainstream, but writes well and the production is sublime.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#17231 08/12/03 04:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Absolutely. Keb' Mo's "The Door" is my favorite from the discs that I've heard.

#17232 08/12/03 06:46 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
I hear ya.. It's really hard to find an album you can just throw down, and not have to hit 'next' a couple a times !! Drives me nuts.. But blues is a hard sell, and those guys (and gals) have to mix it up a little to reach a bigger market just to stay alive and keep food on the table..
I'm kind of a nut on Stevie, and have almost all his recordings.. He had the passion AND the talent.. Hard combo to beat.. Too many today just can't do it all.. Even Eric, the god (small 'g') of guitar falls short on vocals..
Bought ZZ tops 1st album back in 70 or 71.. Great stuff.. I even got behind the amp'd Recycler, Afterburner, era..
I'm always on the look out for a good accustic album.. Slide work, finger picking, what have ya.. I only wish someone could record the sound like those old C/S/N - James Taylor - late 60's early 70's sound.. Stills was the best at it.. He (or his engineer) knew how to record an acoustic..
That's one reason I have more electric albums, it's easier to find good ones.. Acoustic takes talent to play AND to record..
Then there's the whitest blues man in Texas, good old Johnny Winters ! That is, when he's not playing rock n roll.. (Or getting another tattoo !! hahaha)
Here's a pick for ya, Michael Burks "Make it Rain", on Alligator records.. Straight up electric blues.. Dude plays a Flying V, thru a Fender amp and nothing for the most part but bass and drums behind him.. Cut 3 and 4 would be worn out on my copy, if it was an LP.. hahah.. Last cut is a little surprise for ya.. Check it out..

#17233 08/12/03 07:00 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
I've got a couple of Big Joe Williams cd's.. Good stuff.. And I'm going to take your advise and head up to Tower records at lunch and pick up a copy of Crossing Muddy Waters..
I do have a question for ya though.. Do you have any female guitar playing/singing artists you could recomend ?
I have a copy of Rory Block 'Gone Woman Blues', and it's close.. Just picked up Debbie Davies 'Austin Motel', and it's ok..
Couple tracks near the end are better, but over all, it's kind of flat..
Any ideas ? thks..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082