Re: They're here!
dllewel #172254 07/12/07 03:38 PM
Joey Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Quote:

Quote:

I really don't think that you need to mount it on a stud. If you use dry-wall anchors, you should be just fine.

True, but do hit the stud if you can. I did in the middle and used drywall anchors for the sides of the T. I just had the wire come out next to the T bracket, not through it- I don't remember seeing an "access hole" in the bracket but I may have missed it.

You know, sitting here at work I can't really remember what the stupid T bracket even looks like. I "thought" it had some type of hole in it to snake the wires through but I could be completely wrong. I guess I will have to make a separate hole in the wall to get them through. You see, my walls are not sheet-rock (dry wall) they are paneling on top of 1/2" of some type of semi-dense fiber board nailed to 2x4's. The walls were already installed as part of a finished basement when I bought the house. I imagine the fiber board helps a little with keeping the basement warmer in the winter, and they certainly do help with the accoustics of the room. BUT, it is a little harder to make new holes and if you make a boo-boo it is nearly impossible to cover up.. unlike dry wall that can be fixed with spackle.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172255 07/13/07 11:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I am (hopefully) getting the QS8's soon myself. Looking at the documentation, it looks as though the speaker will sit af enough off the wall that a wirewill fit between the speaker and the T bracket. You shouldn't have a problem.

check out pg 4 of this manual:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/global/downloads/surround_manual.pdf

Last edited by vassillios; 07/13/07 11:11 AM.

Made on a Mac
Joey #172256 07/13/07 12:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
There is no "hole for wires" in the T-bracket but you can fit wires behind the speaker OK as long as you don't use banana plugs. I think the 5-way jacks on the back of the QS speakers are angled to make this easier.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #172257 07/13/07 02:15 PM
old hand
old hand
With the rubber bumpers supplied with the QS's in place
I was able to fit 12G wire behind them from wall. I also connected wire directly to posts.

M80s,VP150,EP500,QS8(4)
bridgman #172258 07/13/07 02:18 PM
Joey Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have everything but one QS8 hooked up. One of the T-brackets out of the four is missing!

Called Axiom and they are sending one out right away.
So far the 7.1 setup sounds fantastic! (still using a low-end Sony direct radiator in place of the QS8 in the right-rear surround possition)

My wife was sure that there would be no real difference in the sound quality from my old system. HAH, the pitiable fool! {{Just kidding honey-pie.}}

While I was working on hanging the QS8's I decided to fire up the cable music chanels to listen to some music. I was only using the M60's and the EP500. The wife was upstairs and after a few minutes at moderate volume she came down and commented on how much clearer the new speakers sounded. Of course I still have some tweaking to do with my SPL meter, but I thought it was interesting that someone who would be satisfied with junk speakers noticed the better sound on her own.

For me, they sound fantastic. Ooops, already said that!
I hope to really give them a workout this evening, minus one QS8. Wait a minute..., I can hook it up and just set it on the dry bar right next to where it will ultimately hang...that will be better than nothing for now. The sub is awesome in it's ability to crank if you need it to, and it blends so well with the M60's. The VP150 blends so perfectly with the M60's that when they are all set at nearly the same level it sounds like the music and/or vocals from TV are coming out of the middle of the screen instead of from the top of the TV where the center sits. The QS8's are by far the best surrounds I have ever heard! With music, and with dialog they are really much harder to localize than direct radiators. I can't wait to hear them with some good surround effects from some movies.

So even though I hate to bring out the envy in anyone...if this review has done that to you...tough luck. Just kidding!!!

No but really, the vinyl looks really quite good, better than just some black spray paint on ply-wood. The quality of the build is solid and yes the sub is heavy. And even though I have read some comments that the grills are flimsy...I think they are rather firm. I suppose some brands have these massive bullet-proof grills but who cares when you really want to leave them off anyway? I am still debating on whether I should let my speakers play naked or not.

But for anyone out there in forum land, especially those of you who are just lurking and considering an Axiom purchase, I can say with full confidence that you will NOT be disapointed with the sound quality coming from these peakers!

I have never posted pictures on any forum but I intend to...once I have it all figured out.

Happy Listening!

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #172259 07/13/07 03:37 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Very cool. Congrats. Enjoy!

As far as a temporary setup for the orphan QS8, stacking hockey pucks under the corners of the speaker (or using cans of corn or black olives) is the generally accepted practice to ensure you have "some" clearance on the lower driver when forced to set it upon a shelf.

I think the olives give the highest S/N ratio, but I don't have any measurements to prove it. At the moment.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Joey #172260 07/13/07 08:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I hope to really give them a workout this evening, minus one QS8. Wait a minute..., I can hook it up and just set it on the dry bar right next to where it will ultimately hang...that will be better than nothing for now.

Make sure you use the Bridgman Patented mounting technique for the QS8...I used it, and it sounded great!

See pic:

If you do not expose the bottom woofer, you will be selling yourself short!

Last edited by Hutzal; 07/13/07 08:54 PM.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #172261 07/13/07 09:29 PM
local
local
I believe patented Bridgman mounting technique (for QS8's at least) requires the use of Habitant Pea soup cans.
[image]http://www.amazon.com/Habitant-French-Canadian-Yellow-Pea-Soup/dp/B0002BQLMI[/image]

Last edited by PaulM; 07/13/07 09:34 PM.
PaulM #172262 07/13/07 09:36 PM
local
local
Darn, I couldn't get the image to come up. Oh well.

Joey #172263 07/13/07 10:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

While I was working on hanging the QS8's I decided to fire up the cable music chanels to listen to some music. I was only using the M60's and the EP500. The wife was upstairs and after a few minutes at moderate volume she came down and commented on how much clearer the new speakers sounded. Of course I still have some tweaking to do with my SPL meter, but I thought it was interesting that someone who would be satisfied with junk speakers noticed the better sound on her own.

She has unbelievable hearing if she could tell the difference through the floor all the way upstairs

Seriously, great post- welcome and enjoy the system.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617