Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Excellent and informative email from Alan
#172393 07/12/07 05:22 PM
A
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
I'm considering Axioms to replace my aged AR speakers (classic AR9s in front - AR93s for sides - AR28B for center). I've never used a subwoofer because the big ARs go down below 30hz quite cleanly but with a new system I'll need one.

Just ordered the new Onkyo 805 receiver and just started shopping for new speakers (going with 7.1 configuration this time).

As a side note: I tried to replace the AR9s about ten years ago or so and could find nothing in the $1,500-$2,000 price range that sounded better. Still, today's speakers MUST be vastly improved over those 9s (bought in 1981) so I'm ready to move onward and upward.

Among other things Alan suggested the M60s, since my room is 16X21X12 (a large room), in addition to an EP500 and QS8s on the sides (I would want 4 of these for 7.1). He also said to consider the M22s in front, although they'll not play as loud as the M60s.

I watch HD Directv and listen to classical music, jazz and old rockers (Cream, Chicago, BS&T, Santana, etc.) predominently and I like my music at or slightly above live levels. I don't like a lot of the outrageous overstated bass I hear in the homes of some of my friends. They play their systems like those guys who cruise the streets with their car systems booming tons of distorted bass.

All this rambling (Hey! I'm 70 years old!) is to get some opinions from you folks regarding my options for an Axiom system. I'd appreciate all the help I could get. Not 100% sure it'll be Axiom but it's close.

Thanks, arkiedan

Re: Excellent and informative email from Alan
arkiedan #172394 07/12/07 05:54 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Welcome!

Quote:

I like my music at or slightly above live levels

Whoa. This alone makes me think that you may not be happy with anything short of the M80's. However, given your other comment about never having used a sub, they may very well play cleanly enough low enough that you could try them first and then add a sub later if you feel it is necessary.

I am VERY happy with my M60's (in a quite large room, volume-wise).

I'm also concerned that - with your preference for high SPL levels - a separate amp might be necessary. Again, I think that Onkyo is a terrific choice, and since it has pre-outs, you could always add outboard amplification later if you need to.

Keep in mind the Axiom Factory Outlet store, which saves you 10% for a short wait and alleged cosmetic imperfections; most people (including me) that have ordered from the FO can't find flaws.

Axiom makes wonderful products, and everyone at the company is delightful to work with. I'm a satisfied customer and recommend them without reservation.

I hope you will stick around, peruse the forums and share you knowledge and experiences with the rest of us.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
arkiedan #172395 07/12/07 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome. I hear you on the bass. I love bass, but a good system should sound "boomy" throughout an entire listening or watching session, unless someone is listening to rap. The bass should be "smooth" and in line with the volume from the rest of your speakers. You will find cheaper systems will have lots of lows and lots of highs to give the impression of a good system (cough, cough, Bose, cough).

I have M60s for fronts, VP150 for the center, and QS8 rears. I bought these when my original listening area was a larger open area (a mulitpurpose area in my basement that was about 14x35x8, and they were plenty for the space I wouldn't say that they were too much, but I know that anything less would have had me wondering what I was missing. I have since moved everything to a dedicated room that is about 15x10x8, and they sound amazing.

I don't have an Axiom sub as I got my speakers back when their subs weren't quite up to par with the rest of their product line for Axiom's larger speakers. It is from SVS and specs are about in the middle of Axiom's EP350 and EP500 but more at the EP350 price (due to less expensive materials and such on the SVS). If I had it all to do over again, I think that I would get the EP500 instead for performance and looks (my SVS is a cylindrical sub that is pretty tall and ugly as far as my wife is concerned)...

Good luck, and fire away any questions you have. You will find that you will get good, honest information here, even if it isn't about Axiom products. That is what makes this forum a great place.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
arkiedan #172396 07/12/07 06:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
First, I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have someone on the forum older than I (61)! OK! All you guys may now direct the "old guy" jokes toward arkiedan (Dan in Arkansas?).

Tom, when he says "I like my music at or slightly above live levels." we don't know if he means "live" as if the players were in his living room, or "live" as in what comes out of a professional sound reinforcement system at a live concert. I like my Diana Krall at a volume approximate to what she and her piano would sound like in my living room, not how loud she'd sound coming out of a sound reinforcement system, which I suspect would be considerably louder.

Actually, I agree with Alan's suggestions completely. I know your ARs did a great job with bass, but an EP500 will open new horizons for you. And, if you properly calibrate your system, you needn't be concerned about experiencing the bloated bass found in your friends' systems. Due to the DSP processing, the 400, 500, and 600 are very articulate, and responsive, with a respectively flat response. I think you'd be very happy with a 500.

However, if you'd like to avoid buyer's remorse, you could always substitute 80s and a 600.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #172397 07/12/07 06:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think the M60s would do quite well for your setup (depending on what you meant by 'live' levels. I suspect you weren't talking about a 'live concert setup' but rather if the performers were in your room, as Jack mentioned.

I do agree with Peter in that if you consider going M80s, you may need to go with something different for amplification. Not that you said you were considering M80s, but wanted to clarify since they were mentioned.

Good luck on your decision, I'm sure it will be a nice setup with whatever you choose.

Welcome!

*EDIT* I just saw your other thread mentioning the 805 as certified for 4 Ohm loads, so nevermind my earlier suggestion as it looks like you are already covered.

Last edited by dllewel; 07/12/07 06:24 PM.

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
dllewel #172398 07/12/07 06:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

I do agree with Peter

So, Dave, are you and Pete exchanging PM's on this thread, or are you getting me and him mixed up? He's really much taller and younger than I am.

Dan, I think you can safely rely upon the more eloquent advice offered here by others. I do love my M60's.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
arkiedan #172399 07/12/07 07:39 PM
A
regular
OP Offline
regular
A
Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

By live I did mean live as in live in my listening room (or live in a small jazz club where they don't augment the sound hardly at all).

The M60s are looking good for me on two levels. First, I think it'll be fine in my room and second, the AR9s are MONSTERS at 5'4" tall and weighing around 120 pounds. I'd really like to get away from giant speakers if possible and the M80s might be too intrusive. Still.....I've had buyer's remorse before.....

As for age....well....I'm 70 and broken-down but I still have the heart of a lion

arkiedan #172400 07/13/07 12:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

As for age....well....I'm 70 and broken-down but I still have the heart of a lion

So many of us older guys do.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #172401 07/13/07 12:16 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
What, you keep it in a jar, or something? That's kinda gross...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ajax #172402 07/13/07 12:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

So many of us older guys do.

Unfortunately many of us older guys also have the ears of a Manatee and the eyes of a bat.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters