Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: VP150 bass weaker than itty bitty Bose?
Joey #172607 07/16/07 03:15 PM
shareholder in the making
My experience with the Bose systems is that because they use a "bass module" instead of a true subwoofer, the Bose over-emphasize the 100Hz -> 200Hz frequencies to "trick" the listener into hearing lots of bass. It's really no different than what you'll find on boomboxes, etc.

Many male announcers boost this same rough frequency range to add "authority" to their voice...aren't we all James Earl Jones wannabees when on the mic?

Certainly, I'm not discounting the possibility of a problem with your 150, but I'm wondering if the Bose "bloatiness" of those frequencies doesn't lead your 150 to sound "thin" in comparison...more like Regular Earl Jones. In this case, it's not an issue with the 150, but rather your being used to the other sound...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Ken.C #172608 07/16/07 03:20 PM
D
drew88 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D
Haha...Yes i calibrated the system and yes I've toyed with the tone controls. Listen, I'm not complaining about the bass in my system or in the M60's, I have huge bass! It's just the dialog bass that seems a little weak. I've used the same source material on both systems, Star wars, finding nemo, and regular tv. Bose sounds better only in dialog, everything else the axioms blow it away. The problem is that I would say is I find the dialog to be significantly better, even in low volumes, the Bose has nice theater sounding dialog to it. Perhaps just preferance, but it really bothers me.
For the record, I changed the center channel settings back to small, as it didnt do anything.

MarkSJohnson #172609 07/16/07 03:47 PM
D
drew88 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D
Well I'm not used to the other sound, I just prefer it. On the contrary, I'm used to axioms sound.

drew88 #172610 07/16/07 03:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I guess the question is whether the Bose sound or the Axiom sound are more accurate. Theater sound isn't necessarily all that good, it's just common.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #172611 07/16/07 04:08 PM
Quote:

Theater sound isn't necessarily all that good, it's just common.

Exactly. What you're experiencing is most likely just accurate sound. Since you're not used to it, it sounds wrong. That feeling will pass.

drew88 #172612 07/16/07 05:19 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

Bose sounds better.. the Bose has nice theater sounding dialog to it.

Blasphemy, you're hurting my eyes, may the gods of audio smite you in your sleep! Gather the mob, sharpen the pitch forks and slay the heathen!

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Boy, if you were to say such things on some of the larger forums out there where all the BOSE bashers dwell, they would roast you over a spit!

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
drew88 #172613 07/16/07 05:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

For the record, I changed the center channel settings back to small, as it didnt do anything.

Interesting. When I mess with the Large/Small settings I notice a decent difference in the sound. I put my center on Large, and it had a more pronounced mid/low (as would be expected) which sounds like what you were looking for, so I am just wondering why it didn't sound different for you. I don't have a Yamaha V2600, so I can't comment on it, but it still might be something in there that could be adjusted to "overcompensate" in the midrange to produce the sound that you want.

I guess that is, barring a product defect, where I would look. I mean, the Axioms are more "accurate" have a more "flat" frequency response, etc, which means that the input to the speakers will have a bigger impact on them as they will play more correctly what the system is sending to them. When running the Bose, you are dealing with the whole Bose system, which takes the input (from my understanding) and "tweaks" it electronically and breaks up the signal to different speakers (cube and bass module for Bose, vs. just center channel like just about all other brands I can think of). These "tweaks" actually alter the sound to be the way that Bose wants them, and not always the way that the sounds was designed to be.

Here is an example from my life (not using Bose) in which it took me a while to adjust to Axioms. My first theater was a "the more speakers you have, the better"... I had adjusted and messed around with the speakers to death to get what was a really impressive (not accurate) sound. Meaning, lots of highs, and killer bass. People were impressed, and I was happy. When I got my Axioms, I loved the way that they sounded, but it still took me a while to get used to the fact that I actually had some midrange, and that clean bass is better than muddy low end.

My old system was (gasp... I don't think that I've ever admitted to this before) full of KLH speakers. Back when all there was for digital audio was 5.1 (no 6.1 or 7.1), I had wired up a Frankenbeast of speakers. I had Front R/L speakers with 15" woofers, I has dual center channels, I actually had smaller front right-center and front left-center speakers (blending the center channels to the front R/L), I had speakers on the side of the room, and a funky shaped rear R/L speaker. I had a powered sub up front, and a passive sub under my seat risers. Throw bass-shakers on each theater seat, and a couple under the couch up front, and it was impressive. Just not very accurate...

Pictures of my crazy set up are on my web page under the V1.0 link...

Anyway, I am not saying that something isn't wrong, but we just want to make sure that you are trying everything, and that nothing is overlooked. You asked for help, and we are trying. Without being on-site, it is hard to diagnose the problem.

Where are you located at? Maybe someone can help you in person. That is what this community is all about. Helping the fellow audio enthusiast.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
drew88 #172614 07/16/07 05:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
LOL. I just saw another post stating that the new user ScoobyDoo says that his VP150 has TOO MUCH bass....

Too funny... I guess it jsut goes to show that there are a lot of factors in getting the sound right. If you start with a good quality performer like the Axioms, and as long as nothing is broken, then there are a slew of other factors to examine.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
MarkSJohnson #172615 07/16/07 05:45 PM
D
drew88 Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
D
I was told a thing or two about Bose being really lousy, and they certaintly don't compare to my axioms, but they're not all that terrible, just way too pricey.
I live in College Point in Queens, New York. I'd love for someone to let me know if there is something wrong with my center channel, that'd be a great deal of help.

Last edited by drew88; 07/16/07 05:51 PM.
drew88 #172616 07/16/07 06:03 PM
I hate to keep asking you questions like this, but welcome to remote troubleshooting... I see you have a Yamaha 2600. If you used auto-setup, I believe that model also does equalization on the speakers. Alan has mentioned (although people vehemently disagree with him) that he finds this to cause problems with the sound. There should be a way to turn off the parametric EQ and leave on the distance and level settings. Worth a shot, if you haven't tried it.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters