Is HD-DVD dead? Read the link!!!
#173167 07/24/07 05:45 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Interesting artical

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2007/07/hd-dvd-is-dead-.html

Any Thoughts?

Is an upscaling DVD player considered an HD-DVD player? Or is this false advertizing?

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Re: Is HD-DVD dead? Read the link!!!
Worfzara #173168 07/24/07 06:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just three main comments...
HD-DVD is not dead.
The war isn't over yet.
I wouldn't trust the word of a salesman at some place that falsely advertises to get you in the door to sell an "HD-DVD" player for $98 that is not an HD-DVD player (that is their source).

Who will "win" ??? I don't know or care, but it is far from over.

As for their ad, it is definately false advertising to sell an upconverting DVD player as an HD-DVD player. So no, they are not the same. Serach for upscaling, or upconverting here and you will get the scoop on that. It will make a DVD image more HD-like, but it will not magically turn it into a true HD image like some advertisements would like you to believe.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Worfzara #173169 07/24/07 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Is an upscaling DVD player considered an HD-DVD player? Or is this false advertizing?

To the first question the answer is no, anyone advertising upscale as HD is clearly trying to mislead the consumer.
There are many good articles on this site that are unbiased DVD Town towards either format. With the increasing amount of studios planning to release HD DVD, I would doubt that HD DVD is declining and the article you cited was probably started by Blu-ray supporters.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
nickbuol #173170 07/24/07 06:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Man, Nick you beat me to the punch on that one.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #173171 07/24/07 06:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Man, Nick you beat me to the punch on that one.

One minute apart in our posts... I think that I "beat you" because you were grabbing some useful links, which always takes longer than someone just typing away.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173172 07/24/07 06:54 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The store in question is one of the largest chains of Audio/Video stores in Canada just after Best Buy (Futureshop). Not some Mom and Pop outfit on mainstreet in small town. You hope they would kinda know what they are doing.

What really made me laugh was the Sony HD-DVD in the ad. Talk about trying to confuse the customer.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #173173 07/25/07 02:04 AM
shareholder in the making
The player ads don't speak very well of them even if they are one of the largest AV chains in Canada, since they're blatant lies. Upscaling doesn't magically create HD.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Worfzara #173174 07/25/07 02:26 AM
M
M
I've never heard of this outfit. They must be in eastern Canada only.

Worfzara #173175 07/25/07 02:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

The store in question is one of the largest chains of Audio/Video stores in Canada just after Best Buy (Futureshop). Not some Mom and Pop outfit on mainstreet in small town. You hope they would kinda know what they are doing.

I don't trust the people at Best Buy either. They are under-trained, sales focused "kids"... I know, because I work with a guy who spent 4 years working at Best Buy. We've had to put more training into him that anyone else on my team.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Mojo #173176 07/25/07 03:04 AM
old hand
old hand
The format war is has turned into a very nasty, mud slinging campaigne of bull. One of the main news sites on the web has even turned to state the same and push their personal views. I personally don't understand it. Both formats have their good and bad points - but HD at least has price on its side. Blu might have the more studios, but then where are all the releases from these studios?! HD seems to have a much broader and deep selection of films available. But I think what bothers me most is all the bull both camps were pushing upon the inception of these formats. They both bragged about gigabites space and how that will translate into more bonus materials for the consumer. Well working as a consultant for dvd releases I can tell you it does not matter how much room in on a disc the studios will NEVER use it. It costs too much to find, and finalize what they really have in their vaults. Hell, stuff is even offered to them for free and they've turned it down. Through the years I've seen the home video turn from persons who were transfered over to these new departments from the theatrical divisions who still had the benefit of knowing the theatrical end - to simpily out of college fools who know nothing of what each studio has to offer. These types don't care about what the consumer wants, because most don't even know. They jump from company to company so little is really discovered in terms of what can be done for a given product. MGM home video although through the years has been bought and released by different studios still has their own personel who produce what comes out on DVD - which is why the BOND sets are so good. When it comes to the other studios it really a crap shoot when a release - especially a catalog title is released well done.
Take what you read about both formats with a very large grain of salt. If you haven't bought into either, then wait. If you have, just enjoy the plus each format has to offer. One format is bound to win out - in the end it's the consumer who will lose. Even though I'm a big SONY fan in terms of their quality they are also a company who has a past history of coming up with a new thing then dropping it. I hope that's not the case, I would like to see more machines produced that can play BOTH formats - like the LG. HD has lower prices, and different machines however the consumer should be aware that each level of these players offer less feature (lower price). Now the big ticket is for the new HDMI with better color and of course the newer version of Dolby. In the end, just consider EVERYTHING before making the purchase.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters