Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Is HD-DVD dead? Read the link!!!
Worfzara #173177 07/25/07 04:33 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thoughts?.....................yes, I've seen all this before........(VHS v/s Beta).

I'm not buying.

Remember that old adage: "Fool me once, shame on you...........fool me twice, shame on me".

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #173178 07/25/07 04:34 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Also, "Fool me three times, shame on the old adage for being insufficient."

ditcin #173179 07/25/07 04:50 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I've already bought into both formats because standard definition just isn't cutting it for me anymore, but taking my obsessiveness out of the equation, I don't think either format deserves to "win."

I think HD DVD is the lesser of two evils, but really, both launches were pathetic, and they haven't done a whole lot to try to really secure a position in the marketplace. Blu-ray is an attempt to strongarm, and HD DVD has had too many playback issues for my liking. You shouldn't have to keep looking forward to the next firmware update in order to play your new purchases.

Blu-ray is an insult to consumers with its two forms of DRM, but Hollywood is buying into that. That's the reason it's getting the big studio support, not because the higher storage capacity means they can offer consumers more value. I admire the people who can wait, but on the other hand, if format war doesn't have a real winner for too long, the crowned "winner" won't really have much time in the throne, and its success will be nothing like DVD's.

The fact that they had to let the marketplace decide between two really very similar technologies is disgraceful. Enjoying movies shouldn't be such a chore.

CV #173180 07/25/07 06:43 AM
veteran
veteran
Neither format is appealing. I want my movies the same way I get my music-over the internet through a subscription service. All HDDVD and blu ray do is bridge the gap between DVD and high speed fibre internet.

DrunkenWolf #173181 07/25/07 01:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Neither format is appealing. I want my movies the same way I get my music-over the internet through a subscription service. All HDDVD and blu ray do is bridge the gap between DVD and high speed fibre internet.

Yes, but it takes to stinking long to download HD content. I know that there are streaming subscription services, etc, but I don't think that the general internet infrastructure is ready for that yet...

It would be nice though to jump online, pick out a rental, click "HD" or "DVD" and start streaming it down fast enough to start the movie, with enough "buffer room" to prevent any pauses during playback, after a minute or so. I know some people claim to have done it, but the download content isn't there yet, so there aren't a lot of users doing it.

The data streams from the servers would be pretty big to do this as well...

Someday it will happen though.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173182 07/25/07 02:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Since Broadband is my land, here are some quick calculations. I'm basing it on the unreasonable assumption that somebody would ever try to download 50GB of data. Yes, thats more than just the movie only content of a HD DVD or Blue Ray but just over emphasizing my point. heh heh

Slow but common HSI = 1.54 Mbps tranlating to 193 KB/sec
A 50 GB file would take......
3 Days 5 Hours 16 Minutes, assuming the internet was perfect.

Faster HSI services max at 10 MBbps or 1250 KB/sec
A 50 GB file would take
11 Hours 55 Minutes, assuming the internet was perfect.

If you have faster than 10 Mbps for your Internet, then you must have fiber to the home. SWEEETTTT!

If you want to do the math on a more reasonable size file based on an actual HD movie file size, here is a link to an easy to use calculator I often go to because I am lazy.
Download Speed Calculator

Remember, the results are based on a 'perfect' internet where there are no bottlenecks and every server can provide you its full bandwidth, for your whole download. This of course, never happens.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #173183 07/25/07 02:13 PM
M
M
Murph,

The 50GB file (or any file) also has protocol overhead associated with it for error checking, acks/nacks, etc, right? What's this overhead? About 20%? If so, the times need to be boosted by the overhead amount.

By the way, that link points me to a search site.

Mojo #173184 07/25/07 02:27 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado

Sorry, I should have said Ontario, not Canada. They have 25 stores in Ontario, mostly around the GTA.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Mojo #173185 07/25/07 02:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Murph,

The 50GB file (or any file) also has protocol overhead associated with it for error checking, acks/nacks, etc, right? What's this overhead? About 20%? If so, the times need to be boosted by the overhead amount.

By the way, that link points me to a search site.

Re: Link
Hmm odd. Must be a scripting thing, I copied it from a bookmark that works fine for me but when I click on it via this page, I also get the search page. Sorry bout that. Foiled by an evil search page link!!! If you search Google for "Download Speec Calculators" you should get several to choose from. Some even let you plug in overhead.

RE: Overhead
I didn't get into overhead because I said it was a 'perfect world' scenario, which of course, can never exist. Also, overhead is very dependent on who you bought your HSI from and what technologies they use so I didn't want people making assumptions about their own service vs. what I said.

However, to try and answer your question.

TCP/IP is pretty efficient at only about 3%, if memory serves. However, when you reach the transport level, you are probably talking ATM or some other transport type. ATM requires roughly another 10%. There is 13% right there.

If your service provider is using PPPoE, and lots do, then overhead totals can get as high as 25%

Of course, this only accounts for the connection between your house and your provider. Once you leave your provider's network, all bets are off as to how long a download will take, for many many reasons.

Murph #173186 07/25/07 03:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Played with the link. Looks like a copy error, it had "http" twice. Try this one.
Download Calc Attempt #2

Here is one that lets you plug in overhead.
Download Calc with overhead

Last edited by Murph; 07/25/07 03:06 PM.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup