shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Thanks for the explanation.

Re: Is HD-DVD dead? Read the link!!!
DrunkenWolf #173188 07/25/07 03:26 PM
old hand
old hand
I agree that watching movies should not be such a chore. That's why I am sticking to plain old DVD! You get ALL the movies that are available. And they're cheaper to boot!

Granted, I "only" have a 720p DLP but with an upconverting player like the Oppo 971 the picture quality is very close to HD as it looks from cable. Yes, the HD from cable is better but only on certain channels that are 1080i. Many of the other channels are still ???? (I'm not sure of the resolution) and they are over compressed.

So at least from the standpoint of the equipment I currently own, which cost too much money to just discard it, I cannot justify ever switching to either format due primarily to cost and secondly to the fact that it just isn't that much better...IMO.

Besides, regular DVD's are not going away any time soon. And if they do someday go the way of the Dodo, then I will be forced to change. And I'm sure that by the time that happens there will be a whole new "format" or way of obtaining movies that will make HD-DVD and BluRay obsolete.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
nickbuol #173189 07/25/07 04:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Neither format is appealing. I want my movies the same way I get my music-over the internet through a subscription service. All HDDVD and blu ray do is bridge the gap between DVD and high speed fibre internet.

Yes, but it takes to stinking long to download HD content. I know that there are streaming subscription services, etc, but I don't think that the general internet infrastructure is ready for that yet...

It would be nice though to jump online, pick out a rental, click "HD" or "DVD" and start streaming it down fast enough to start the movie, with enough "buffer room" to prevent any pauses during playback, after a minute or so. I know some people claim to have done it, but the download content isn't there yet, so there aren't a lot of users doing it.

The data streams from the servers would be pretty big to do this as well...

Someday it will happen though.

Yeah we need that fibre laid so we can get to the point where this works. Until then HDDVD and Blu Ray will appeal to niche audiences-they will never get mass appeal because they don't add a new layer of convenience over DVD the same way that DVD did over VHS and MP3 players did over CD.

Joey #173190 07/25/07 04:22 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Fascinating and educational conversation! Thanks so much to all of you experts!

I have one data point I'd like to add.

We subscribe to Netflix and have Qwest DSL premium. Netflix now allows users to stream a certain amount of content per month (the $17.99 plan gets you 18 hours, I think, etc.).

Our initial attempt was less than satisfying. While the whole operation worked reasonably well, it did not allow us to stream the "highest" quality video and I believe the sound was plain old stereo. The resulting image was much worse than DVD quality.

Random ruminations follow:

Point being, I'm addicted to my constant connection to reasonably good bandwidth. I pay good money for it. And the quality available - even to me - using that bandwidth is completely inconsistent with the market's accelerating adoption of HD. There is a fundamental disconnect between the installed network infrastructure and the emerging display technology.

I think one of the key strategic advantages of living in North America is "the network". We can consume huge amounts of information and also communicate instantly with virtually anyone. It really is quite remarkable. It is also COPPER. I like to fantasize as much as anyone about "fiber to every household" but I just don't believe it's going to be an economically viable initiative. The capacity of fiber only increases the quality/speed of the connection; it doesn't establish the connection. For most people, copper is going to be "enough". I don't believe that enough consumers are going to be willing to pay more for bandwidth to the point that widespread installation of fiber becomes a reasonable suggestion for private enterprise. And I certainly hope that government spends money on education and health care instead of network topology.

Of course, I haven't made my last mistake yet and I could be very very wrong.

So, my crystal ball tells me that in order to deliver higher definition content online, we will need a revolution in either connectivity or compression.

And I'm really okay with that. I like to go to the library and check out books, so I certainly have no problem with schlepping disks around to optimize the fidelity of the A/V content.

As to the format wars, I'm going to let the dust settle. In other words, I'll let you early adopters vote on my behalf.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #173191 07/25/07 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We all just need the link that this lady has....
World's Fastest Internet Pipe at 40Gbit/s and then the servers/computer capacity to actually send and receive it that fast...

As for the previous comment about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray not being any/much better than an upconverting DVD player on a 720p projector, I say "Bah..." I've got a Pannasonic S97 for upconverting and it looks great compared to "standard" 480p on my 720p projector, but 720p from OTA HD or other sources is still a lot better in my book. A lot depends on the content, and the fact that there is compression of the already somewhat compressed HD signal when sent over cable/satellite. I am excited about HD in my home theater, but just not ready to jump into that niche group yet....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173192 07/25/07 10:10 PM
B
local
local
B
Denon going Blu-ray. Target going Blu-ray. HD-DVD may not be dead, but it's life signs are weakening, Captain.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #173193 07/25/07 10:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Maybe she needs more di-lithium crystals capt'n?

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
tomtuttle #173194 07/26/07 12:59 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

We subscribe to Netflix and have Qwest DSL premium. Netflix now allows users to stream a certain amount of content per month (the $17.99 plan gets you 18 hours, I think, etc.).

Our initial attempt was less than satisfying. While the whole operation worked reasonably well, it did not allow us to stream the "highest" quality video and I believe the sound was plain old stereo. The resulting image was much worse than DVD quality.

Random ruminations follow:

Point being, I'm addicted to my constant connection to reasonably good bandwidth. I pay good money for it. And the quality available - even to me - using that bandwidth is completely inconsistent with the market's accelerating adoption of HD. There is a fundamental disconnect between the installed network infrastructure and the emerging display technology.

I think one of the key strategic advantages of living in North America is "the network". We can consume huge amounts of information and also communicate instantly with virtually anyone. It really is quite remarkable. It is also COPPER. I like to fantasize as much as anyone about "fiber to every household" but I just don't believe it's going to be an economically viable initiative. The capacity of fiber only increases the quality/speed of the connection; it doesn't establish the connection. For most people, copper is going to be "enough". I don't believe that enough consumers are going to be willing to pay more for bandwidth to the point that widespread installation of fiber becomes a reasonable suggestion for private enterprise. And I certainly hope that government spends money on education and health care instead of network topology.

Of course, I haven't made my last mistake yet and I could be very very wrong.

So, my crystal ball tells me that in order to deliver higher definition content online, we will need a revolution in either connectivity or compression.

And I'm really okay with that. I like to go to the library and check out books, so I certainly have no problem with schlepping disks around to optimize the fidelity of the A/V content.

As to the format wars, I'm going to let the dust settle. In other words, I'll let you early adopters vote on my behalf.

I'm able to do the netflix thing at the 'highest quality' over comcast. The video quality is decent, but the sound is stereo. It's like VHS quality, but you have to admit that it's damn convenient, and if they do bridge the quality gap it will be your format of choice.

The network in North America isn't really all that great compared to what they have overseas. I recently read this:
Quote:

The average broadband download speed in the US is only 1.9 megabits per second, compared to 61 Mbps in Japan, 45 Mbps in South Korea, 18 Mbps in Sweden, 17 Mpbs in France, and 7 Mbps in Canada, according to the Communication Workers of America.

Without compression a 720p signal would require many times even Japan's 45Mbps average. Considering that 19Mbps is enough for multiple HDTV channels, HD video signals are highly compressable. Rememeber that a decade ago most of us were using dial up modems that ran at .00288Mbps-this was before the infrastructure needed for DSL and Cable internet was pretty much everywhere. It was hard then to imagine a time when everyone would have access to the then blazing fast .0256Mbps dsl speeds. 5 years from now 50Mbps internet connections will be available to the same people who can afford cable or dsl today. You might think it a waste for private enterprise-but the services this additional bandwidth enables are attractive to customers-like all you can eat movie subscription services.

DrunkenWolf #173195 07/26/07 03:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
At least in this part of the country, we are already getting fiber to our homes, albeit slowly. Verizon is doing it for their FioS service. My new house will have it from what I understand, so I am looking forward to FioS internet and TV!

Mojo #173196 07/26/07 05:03 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Quote:

Murph,

The 50GB file (or any file) also has protocol overhead associated with it for error checking, acks/nacks, etc, right? What's this overhead? About 20%? If so, the times need to be boosted by the overhead amount.
By the way, that link points me to a search site.

Actually, for bulk transfers, there isn't much overhead at the protocol level. IP and TCP headers are only 40 bytes combined and you have 1460 bytes left for the cargo. Not to go off on a tangent, but the issue with file transfers over the internet really is about long fat networks. Plain ol' TCP simply cannot fill the pipe because the window size is too small. For anyone who wants to read up on it, read RFC 1323. I'm a network guy for a global financial company so this is my cup-o-tea (sorta speak)

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup