Is HD-DVD dead? Read the link!!!
#173167 07/24/07 05:45 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Interesting artical

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2007/07/hd-dvd-is-dead-.html

Any Thoughts?

Is an upscaling DVD player considered an HD-DVD player? Or is this false advertizing?

pn

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Re: Is HD-DVD dead? Read the link!!!
Worfzara #173168 07/24/07 06:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just three main comments...
HD-DVD is not dead.
The war isn't over yet.
I wouldn't trust the word of a salesman at some place that falsely advertises to get you in the door to sell an "HD-DVD" player for $98 that is not an HD-DVD player (that is their source).

Who will "win" ??? I don't know or care, but it is far from over.

As for their ad, it is definately false advertising to sell an upconverting DVD player as an HD-DVD player. So no, they are not the same. Serach for upscaling, or upconverting here and you will get the scoop on that. It will make a DVD image more HD-like, but it will not magically turn it into a true HD image like some advertisements would like you to believe.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Worfzara #173169 07/24/07 06:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Is an upscaling DVD player considered an HD-DVD player? Or is this false advertizing?

To the first question the answer is no, anyone advertising upscale as HD is clearly trying to mislead the consumer.
There are many good articles on this site that are unbiased DVD Town towards either format. With the increasing amount of studios planning to release HD DVD, I would doubt that HD DVD is declining and the article you cited was probably started by Blu-ray supporters.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
nickbuol #173170 07/24/07 06:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Man, Nick you beat me to the punch on that one.

HomeDad #173171 07/24/07 06:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Man, Nick you beat me to the punch on that one.

One minute apart in our posts... I think that I "beat you" because you were grabbing some useful links, which always takes longer than someone just typing away.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173172 07/24/07 06:54 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
The store in question is one of the largest chains of Audio/Video stores in Canada just after Best Buy (Futureshop). Not some Mom and Pop outfit on mainstreet in small town. You hope they would kinda know what they are doing.

What really made me laugh was the Sony HD-DVD in the ad. Talk about trying to confuse the customer.

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Worfzara #173173 07/25/07 02:04 AM
shareholder in the making
The player ads don't speak very well of them even if they are one of the largest AV chains in Canada, since they're blatant lies. Upscaling doesn't magically create HD.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Worfzara #173174 07/25/07 02:26 AM
M
M
I've never heard of this outfit. They must be in eastern Canada only.

Worfzara #173175 07/25/07 02:46 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

The store in question is one of the largest chains of Audio/Video stores in Canada just after Best Buy (Futureshop). Not some Mom and Pop outfit on mainstreet in small town. You hope they would kinda know what they are doing.

I don't trust the people at Best Buy either. They are under-trained, sales focused "kids"... I know, because I work with a guy who spent 4 years working at Best Buy. We've had to put more training into him that anyone else on my team.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Mojo #173176 07/25/07 03:04 AM
old hand
old hand
The format war is has turned into a very nasty, mud slinging campaigne of bull. One of the main news sites on the web has even turned to state the same and push their personal views. I personally don't understand it. Both formats have their good and bad points - but HD at least has price on its side. Blu might have the more studios, but then where are all the releases from these studios?! HD seems to have a much broader and deep selection of films available. But I think what bothers me most is all the bull both camps were pushing upon the inception of these formats. They both bragged about gigabites space and how that will translate into more bonus materials for the consumer. Well working as a consultant for dvd releases I can tell you it does not matter how much room in on a disc the studios will NEVER use it. It costs too much to find, and finalize what they really have in their vaults. Hell, stuff is even offered to them for free and they've turned it down. Through the years I've seen the home video turn from persons who were transfered over to these new departments from the theatrical divisions who still had the benefit of knowing the theatrical end - to simpily out of college fools who know nothing of what each studio has to offer. These types don't care about what the consumer wants, because most don't even know. They jump from company to company so little is really discovered in terms of what can be done for a given product. MGM home video although through the years has been bought and released by different studios still has their own personel who produce what comes out on DVD - which is why the BOND sets are so good. When it comes to the other studios it really a crap shoot when a release - especially a catalog title is released well done.
Take what you read about both formats with a very large grain of salt. If you haven't bought into either, then wait. If you have, just enjoy the plus each format has to offer. One format is bound to win out - in the end it's the consumer who will lose. Even though I'm a big SONY fan in terms of their quality they are also a company who has a past history of coming up with a new thing then dropping it. I hope that's not the case, I would like to see more machines produced that can play BOTH formats - like the LG. HD has lower prices, and different machines however the consumer should be aware that each level of these players offer less feature (lower price). Now the big ticket is for the new HDMI with better color and of course the newer version of Dolby. In the end, just consider EVERYTHING before making the purchase.

Worfzara #173177 07/25/07 04:33 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Thoughts?.....................yes, I've seen all this before........(VHS v/s Beta).

I'm not buying.

Remember that old adage: "Fool me once, shame on you...........fool me twice, shame on me".

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #173178 07/25/07 04:34 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Also, "Fool me three times, shame on the old adage for being insufficient."

ditcin #173179 07/25/07 04:50 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I've already bought into both formats because standard definition just isn't cutting it for me anymore, but taking my obsessiveness out of the equation, I don't think either format deserves to "win."

I think HD DVD is the lesser of two evils, but really, both launches were pathetic, and they haven't done a whole lot to try to really secure a position in the marketplace. Blu-ray is an attempt to strongarm, and HD DVD has had too many playback issues for my liking. You shouldn't have to keep looking forward to the next firmware update in order to play your new purchases.

Blu-ray is an insult to consumers with its two forms of DRM, but Hollywood is buying into that. That's the reason it's getting the big studio support, not because the higher storage capacity means they can offer consumers more value. I admire the people who can wait, but on the other hand, if format war doesn't have a real winner for too long, the crowned "winner" won't really have much time in the throne, and its success will be nothing like DVD's.

The fact that they had to let the marketplace decide between two really very similar technologies is disgraceful. Enjoying movies shouldn't be such a chore.

CV #173180 07/25/07 06:43 AM
veteran
veteran
Neither format is appealing. I want my movies the same way I get my music-over the internet through a subscription service. All HDDVD and blu ray do is bridge the gap between DVD and high speed fibre internet.

DrunkenWolf #173181 07/25/07 01:12 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Neither format is appealing. I want my movies the same way I get my music-over the internet through a subscription service. All HDDVD and blu ray do is bridge the gap between DVD and high speed fibre internet.

Yes, but it takes to stinking long to download HD content. I know that there are streaming subscription services, etc, but I don't think that the general internet infrastructure is ready for that yet...

It would be nice though to jump online, pick out a rental, click "HD" or "DVD" and start streaming it down fast enough to start the movie, with enough "buffer room" to prevent any pauses during playback, after a minute or so. I know some people claim to have done it, but the download content isn't there yet, so there aren't a lot of users doing it.

The data streams from the servers would be pretty big to do this as well...

Someday it will happen though.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173182 07/25/07 02:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Since Broadband is my land, here are some quick calculations. I'm basing it on the unreasonable assumption that somebody would ever try to download 50GB of data. Yes, thats more than just the movie only content of a HD DVD or Blue Ray but just over emphasizing my point. heh heh

Slow but common HSI = 1.54 Mbps tranlating to 193 KB/sec
A 50 GB file would take......
3 Days 5 Hours 16 Minutes, assuming the internet was perfect.

Faster HSI services max at 10 MBbps or 1250 KB/sec
A 50 GB file would take
11 Hours 55 Minutes, assuming the internet was perfect.

If you have faster than 10 Mbps for your Internet, then you must have fiber to the home. SWEEETTTT!

If you want to do the math on a more reasonable size file based on an actual HD movie file size, here is a link to an easy to use calculator I often go to because I am lazy.
Download Speed Calculator

Remember, the results are based on a 'perfect' internet where there are no bottlenecks and every server can provide you its full bandwidth, for your whole download. This of course, never happens.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #173183 07/25/07 02:13 PM
M
M
Murph,

The 50GB file (or any file) also has protocol overhead associated with it for error checking, acks/nacks, etc, right? What's this overhead? About 20%? If so, the times need to be boosted by the overhead amount.

By the way, that link points me to a search site.

Mojo #173184 07/25/07 02:27 PM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado

Sorry, I should have said Ontario, not Canada. They have 25 stores in Ontario, mostly around the GTA.

paul

Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Mojo #173185 07/25/07 02:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Murph,

The 50GB file (or any file) also has protocol overhead associated with it for error checking, acks/nacks, etc, right? What's this overhead? About 20%? If so, the times need to be boosted by the overhead amount.

Re: Link
Hmm odd. Must be a scripting thing, I copied it from a bookmark that works fine for me but when I click on it via this page, I also get the search page. Sorry bout that. Foiled by an evil search page link!!! If you search Google for "Download Speec Calculators" you should get several to choose from. Some even let you plug in overhead.

RE: Overhead
I didn't get into overhead because I said it was a 'perfect world' scenario, which of course, can never exist. Also, overhead is very dependent on who you bought your HSI from and what technologies they use so I didn't want people making assumptions about their own service vs. what I said.

However, to try and answer your question.

TCP/IP is pretty efficient at only about 3%, if memory serves. However, when you reach the transport level, you are probably talking ATM or some other transport type. ATM requires roughly another 10%. There is 13% right there.

If your service provider is using PPPoE, and lots do, then overhead totals can get as high as 25%

Of course, this only accounts for the connection between your house and your provider. Once you leave your provider's network, all bets are off as to how long a download will take, for many many reasons.

Murph #173186 07/25/07 03:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Played with the link. Looks like a copy error, it had "http" twice. Try this one.
Download Calc Attempt #2

Here is one that lets you plug in overhead.
Download Calc with overhead

Last edited by Murph; 07/25/07 03:06 PM.

Murph #173187 07/25/07 03:10 PM
M
M
Thanks for the explanation.

DrunkenWolf #173188 07/25/07 03:26 PM
old hand
old hand
I agree that watching movies should not be such a chore. That's why I am sticking to plain old DVD! You get ALL the movies that are available. And they're cheaper to boot!

Granted, I "only" have a 720p DLP but with an upconverting player like the Oppo 971 the picture quality is very close to HD as it looks from cable. Yes, the HD from cable is better but only on certain channels that are 1080i. Many of the other channels are still ???? (I'm not sure of the resolution) and they are over compressed.

So at least from the standpoint of the equipment I currently own, which cost too much money to just discard it, I cannot justify ever switching to either format due primarily to cost and secondly to the fact that it just isn't that much better...IMO.

Besides, regular DVD's are not going away any time soon. And if they do someday go the way of the Dodo, then I will be forced to change. And I'm sure that by the time that happens there will be a whole new "format" or way of obtaining movies that will make HD-DVD and BluRay obsolete.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
nickbuol #173189 07/25/07 04:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, but it takes to stinking long to download HD content. I know that there are streaming subscription services, etc, but I don't think that the general internet infrastructure is ready for that yet...

It would be nice though to jump online, pick out a rental, click "HD" or "DVD" and start streaming it down fast enough to start the movie, with enough "buffer room" to prevent any pauses during playback, after a minute or so. I know some people claim to have done it, but the download content isn't there yet, so there aren't a lot of users doing it.

The data streams from the servers would be pretty big to do this as well...

Someday it will happen though.

Yeah we need that fibre laid so we can get to the point where this works. Until then HDDVD and Blu Ray will appeal to niche audiences-they will never get mass appeal because they don't add a new layer of convenience over DVD the same way that DVD did over VHS and MP3 players did over CD.

Joey #173190 07/25/07 04:22 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Fascinating and educational conversation! Thanks so much to all of you experts!

I have one data point I'd like to add.

We subscribe to Netflix and have Qwest DSL premium. Netflix now allows users to stream a certain amount of content per month (the $17.99 plan gets you 18 hours, I think, etc.).

Our initial attempt was less than satisfying. While the whole operation worked reasonably well, it did not allow us to stream the "highest" quality video and I believe the sound was plain old stereo. The resulting image was much worse than DVD quality.

Random ruminations follow:

Point being, I'm addicted to my constant connection to reasonably good bandwidth. I pay good money for it. And the quality available - even to me - using that bandwidth is completely inconsistent with the market's accelerating adoption of HD. There is a fundamental disconnect between the installed network infrastructure and the emerging display technology.

I think one of the key strategic advantages of living in North America is "the network". We can consume huge amounts of information and also communicate instantly with virtually anyone. It really is quite remarkable. It is also COPPER. I like to fantasize as much as anyone about "fiber to every household" but I just don't believe it's going to be an economically viable initiative. The capacity of fiber only increases the quality/speed of the connection; it doesn't establish the connection. For most people, copper is going to be "enough". I don't believe that enough consumers are going to be willing to pay more for bandwidth to the point that widespread installation of fiber becomes a reasonable suggestion for private enterprise. And I certainly hope that government spends money on education and health care instead of network topology.

Of course, I haven't made my last mistake yet and I could be very very wrong.

So, my crystal ball tells me that in order to deliver higher definition content online, we will need a revolution in either connectivity or compression.

And I'm really okay with that. I like to go to the library and check out books, so I certainly have no problem with schlepping disks around to optimize the fidelity of the A/V content.

As to the format wars, I'm going to let the dust settle. In other words, I'll let you early adopters vote on my behalf.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #173191 07/25/07 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We all just need the link that this lady has....
World's Fastest Internet Pipe at 40Gbit/s and then the servers/computer capacity to actually send and receive it that fast...

As for the previous comment about HD-DVD or Blu-Ray not being any/much better than an upconverting DVD player on a 720p projector, I say "Bah..." I've got a Pannasonic S97 for upconverting and it looks great compared to "standard" 480p on my 720p projector, but 720p from OTA HD or other sources is still a lot better in my book. A lot depends on the content, and the fact that there is compression of the already somewhat compressed HD signal when sent over cable/satellite. I am excited about HD in my home theater, but just not ready to jump into that niche group yet....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173192 07/25/07 10:10 PM
B
local
local
B
Denon going Blu-ray. Target going Blu-ray. HD-DVD may not be dead, but it's life signs are weakening, Captain.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #173193 07/25/07 10:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Maybe she needs more di-lithium crystals capt'n?

-Dave

M80s VP150 QS8s EP500s
ravenmanor.com/cinema/
tomtuttle #173194 07/26/07 12:59 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

We subscribe to Netflix and have Qwest DSL premium. Netflix now allows users to stream a certain amount of content per month (the $17.99 plan gets you 18 hours, I think, etc.).

Our initial attempt was less than satisfying. While the whole operation worked reasonably well, it did not allow us to stream the "highest" quality video and I believe the sound was plain old stereo. The resulting image was much worse than DVD quality.

Random ruminations follow:

Point being, I'm addicted to my constant connection to reasonably good bandwidth. I pay good money for it. And the quality available - even to me - using that bandwidth is completely inconsistent with the market's accelerating adoption of HD. There is a fundamental disconnect between the installed network infrastructure and the emerging display technology.

I think one of the key strategic advantages of living in North America is "the network". We can consume huge amounts of information and also communicate instantly with virtually anyone. It really is quite remarkable. It is also COPPER. I like to fantasize as much as anyone about "fiber to every household" but I just don't believe it's going to be an economically viable initiative. The capacity of fiber only increases the quality/speed of the connection; it doesn't establish the connection. For most people, copper is going to be "enough". I don't believe that enough consumers are going to be willing to pay more for bandwidth to the point that widespread installation of fiber becomes a reasonable suggestion for private enterprise. And I certainly hope that government spends money on education and health care instead of network topology.

Of course, I haven't made my last mistake yet and I could be very very wrong.

So, my crystal ball tells me that in order to deliver higher definition content online, we will need a revolution in either connectivity or compression.

And I'm really okay with that. I like to go to the library and check out books, so I certainly have no problem with schlepping disks around to optimize the fidelity of the A/V content.

As to the format wars, I'm going to let the dust settle. In other words, I'll let you early adopters vote on my behalf.

I'm able to do the netflix thing at the 'highest quality' over comcast. The video quality is decent, but the sound is stereo. It's like VHS quality, but you have to admit that it's damn convenient, and if they do bridge the quality gap it will be your format of choice.

The network in North America isn't really all that great compared to what they have overseas. I recently read this:
Quote:

The average broadband download speed in the US is only 1.9 megabits per second, compared to 61 Mbps in Japan, 45 Mbps in South Korea, 18 Mbps in Sweden, 17 Mpbs in France, and 7 Mbps in Canada, according to the Communication Workers of America.

Without compression a 720p signal would require many times even Japan's 45Mbps average. Considering that 19Mbps is enough for multiple HDTV channels, HD video signals are highly compressable. Rememeber that a decade ago most of us were using dial up modems that ran at .00288Mbps-this was before the infrastructure needed for DSL and Cable internet was pretty much everywhere. It was hard then to imagine a time when everyone would have access to the then blazing fast .0256Mbps dsl speeds. 5 years from now 50Mbps internet connections will be available to the same people who can afford cable or dsl today. You might think it a waste for private enterprise-but the services this additional bandwidth enables are attractive to customers-like all you can eat movie subscription services.

DrunkenWolf #173195 07/26/07 03:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
At least in this part of the country, we are already getting fiber to our homes, albeit slowly. Verizon is doing it for their FioS service. My new house will have it from what I understand, so I am looking forward to FioS internet and TV!

Mojo #173196 07/26/07 05:03 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Quote:

Murph,

Actually, for bulk transfers, there isn't much overhead at the protocol level. IP and TCP headers are only 40 bytes combined and you have 1460 bytes left for the cargo. Not to go off on a tangent, but the issue with file transfers over the internet really is about long fat networks. Plain ol' TCP simply cannot fill the pipe because the window size is too small. For anyone who wants to read up on it, read RFC 1323. I'm a network guy for a global financial company so this is my cup-o-tea (sorta speak)

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #173197 07/26/07 11:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Actually, the quote is misquoted, I didn't ask the question, I answered it. But to that topic.....

Sorry my estimate on TCP/IP overhead wasn't accurate enough. I said approximately 3% whereas you definitively state 1460 bytes - 40 bytes which would equal 2.739726027397260273972602739726 percent.

How could I be so misleading!!!!!

By the way, I mean this in total humor, not flame.

Bayne #173198 07/26/07 12:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Denon going Blu-ray. Target going Blu-ray.

Is Wal-Mart still going with HD-DVD? I read that they struck a deal with Toshiba to make 2 million players for them on the cheap(er).

Personally, I like Target (Tar-zhay), but Wal-Mart is still the 800-pound gorilla of retail.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #173199 07/26/07 01:49 PM
B
local
local
B
I haven't read anything more on that Walmart rumour, however today it became official that Target will only sell Blu-ray players in their stores. They will, however, sell both HD-DVD and Blu-ray disks.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen
Bayne #173200 07/26/07 02:43 PM
devotee
devotee
Am I the only one not crazy about downloading movies? I like owning my movies. I can play them at any time and am not dependant on an internet connection. I can play them on muliple players or take them to the cottage or a friends. I can see down the road that you will have even more drm attached. Can only play the movie once or twice. Have to pay again to watch it. Can only play it on one player etc. I do think the companies want to get rid of the actual dvd's in order to sustain a recurring revenue. They may double dip now 2 or 3 times but if you don't think it will get worse with downloads you are ony fooling yourself.

DanielBMe #173201 07/26/07 02:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Am I the only one not crazy about downloading movies? I like owning my movies.

I like owning them too. I think that what we will see is a download "rental" for a premium price (at good quality) that will work for 24 hours and then the license will expire. For a couple rental prices, you could own it. The whole download bit is for convenience. The way that I work around that is I buy movies even if I know that it may be weeks or even longer that I can watch it. That way I always have movies on my shelf that I haven't seen (but aren't "crap" movies).

Now I work with a guy that has seen pretty much every movie ever. He likes all movies, action, comedy, drama, chick flicks, westerns, etc, etc... He loved Ishtar, was excited about from Justin to Kelly, and has a copy of 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain... Most of these movies he has a copy of too. And I mean a "copy" in that exact sense. He has close to 1000 movies that he only paid $0.50 for the blank (single layer) DVD-R to burn them on to. Other's he watches from a web site that streams TV shows, movies, etc (some at really bad quality)... He can watch whatever he wants all day long without paying for it.

Now when he "grows up" and starts seeing the benefits of actually paying for something, he will be so used to downloading movies, that he will go that route. For me, I just like to own what I've got. I then don't waste time on junk movies, and I get better quality than a download or single layer burn (Yes, I know how to do dual layer 100% quality copies. My wife calls these "cheater movies".)

Anyway, I used to try to get everything for free from the internet too, now I just don't have the time to mess with the illegal junk, and streaming is still too long of a wait for me for a sub-quality product. Maybe someday, but by then we will have 10TB hard drives so I guess I wouldn't miss the disk space.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
DanielBMe #173202 07/26/07 03:28 PM
There are relatively few movies that hold repeat play value for me and I would therefore like to own. If I would rent a movie instead of buying it, I'd love the option of downloading it.

pmbuko #173203 07/26/07 03:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In the news today... 10% price drop on HD-DVD add-on for XBox 360 and it now qualifies for a 5 free HD-DVD movies deal.

Here is the link:
XBox360 HD-DVD 10% Price Cut + 5 Free Movies

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173204 08/07/07 02:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Toshiba going 3rd Gen. Toshiba

HomeDad #173205 08/07/07 03:32 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Sounds good. I may have to replace my first-gen, if load times have been cut significantly yet again.

CV #173206 08/07/07 12:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
RE:
---------------
Using the Ethernet ports found on all Toshiba HD DVD players, once connected to the network, users can access ~~~bonus features, as available, from a movie studio´s server. This data is then saved in the player´s persistent storage and can be accessed by the user. In addition to accessing new bonus features, some HD DVD discs may include locked prerecorded content which can be unlocked with a downloadable key from the studio´s online server.~~~
----------------

Hmmmmm. Can you say "Stats grabber?"

Leads the way into additional copy protection methods as well.

At this point I began to rant and rave about a recent copy protection issue I had that utilized online verification. However, it turned out long and bitter so I'm cutting and pasting it into the Off Topic section for anyone who cares to read it.

Worfzara #173207 08/20/07 07:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Bringing back the horrid thread...

Dreamworks Animation and Paramount annouced today that they are going exclusively HD-DVD moving forward. Interesting since Paramount was doing both Blu-Ray AND HD-DVD but now are dropping all Blu-Ray production...

Reuters Article

Some of the "bigger" (which is completely one person's opinion of course) releases that will be out this fall for Paramount on HD-DVD will be "Blades of Glory", "Shrek the Third", and "Transformers"...

The rest of the article goes into the sales numbers, etc, telling of Blu-Ray's 2 to 1 outselling of titles over HD-DVD for 1st half of 2007, etc, so it brings up some points for both sides.

WILL THE MADNESS EVER END???

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: Paramount and Dreamworks HD DVD exclusive...
nickbuol #173208 08/20/07 08:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
This is an awesome move, I have not yet dipped into the HD era yet (even tho I own an HD projector), I am eager to do so, probably this holiday season with transformers on HD DVD, I'll have to let my wife know which model of HD DVD player to get with my new movie

I am pumped for this christmas season! I can't wait for transformers on HD DVD...and when LOTR comes out from Newline, hopefully they will be exclusive to HD DVD by then...

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #173209 08/20/07 08:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I refuse to buy a bluray or hd-dvd player until this sorts itself out. I think it is garbage that movies are being sold exclusively in one format.

These are not video game systems competing for exclusive titles...

-David
terzaghi #173210 08/21/07 05:45 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I'll probably go back to thinking it's really lame and stupid tomorrow, but today, for whatever reason, I really love the format war. Life is so much more interesting when people do things for no reason. I don't see how having two formats helps anyone, and therein lies the beauty.

CV #173211 08/21/07 12:58 PM
No reason? You think profit and market dominance aren't a reason?

terzaghi #173212 08/21/07 02:44 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

I refuse to buy a bluray or hd-dvd player until this sorts itself out. I think it is garbage that movies are being sold exclusively in one format.

These are not video game systems competing for exclusive titles...

I agree! Besides, as I've stated before, regular DVD's with a good up-converting player such as one from Oppo makes my movies look "nearly" as good as high def! Even when the war ends (if it ever does) I see no reason to move to a new player and all new movie purchases. This is just another attempt to get more money out of us all.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
pmbuko #173213 08/21/07 02:46 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Peter knows it's all about the Benjamins, huh, uh huh ...

medic8r #173214 08/21/07 02:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Which inevitably leads to Weird Al's best work, It's All about the Pentiums. Classic. So many great lines. Brings a smile to my face every time. Does this resonate with this crowd, methinks?

medic8r #173215 08/21/07 02:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey, if I keep replying to myself, then there will be an army of Will Farrells on the screen, and Christopher Walken might be able to get enough cowbell!

medic8r #173216 08/21/07 02:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Whoa. Now I'm really trippin'.

Joey #173217 08/21/07 03:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I agree! Besides, as I've stated before, regular DVD's with a good up-converting player such as one from Oppo makes my movies look "nearly" as good as high def! Even when the war ends (if it ever does) I see no reason to move to a new player and all new movie purchases. This is just another attempt to get more money out of us all.

I finally got my taste of the difference between an upconverting DVD player and a HD-DVD player and did a couple of "side by side" comparisons. It was not at my house, but at the house of one of my kid's friend's parents. They just bought a HD-DVD player and got a couple of "rentals" from Netflix in HD-DVD. They also have the same Panny S97 upconverter that I do (which to me does a GREAT job, and I love mine at home with my projector). They have a front projector (didn't get the model) that was 1080p on to a 136" screen. We watched bits from a couple of movies. We watched a little of "300", "Batman Begins", and "The Bourne Identity"... I had 2 of these on DVD and brought them along, and they had borrowed "300" from someone else on DVD, and got the others in HD-DVD. We spent a couple of hours playing around with standard DVD resolution (yuck) compared to upconverted DVD (which looked good to me) and then popped in the HD-DVDs... WOW! I SO much wanted to get on the HD bandwagon after that. The picture of an upconverted DVD is nice, but it definately isn't HD (which we all know) and the imaging on the HD versions of these movies was really good.

Makes me wish I never went over there. There are so few artifacts with HD, less grain, better color/contrast. it was NICE. With upconversion, if the source DVD is a little grainy, you are just ending up with an upconverted, but grainy, image. No upconverter can really improve the picture quality, it can just guess (through complex algorythms of course) where to add pixels to get higher resolution. Keep in mind that the last statement sounds negative towards upconversion, and yet I LOVE my upconversion at home and am an advocate for it. I was just amazed that it would be enough of a better picture to make me wish that this dumb war was over.

As for rebuying everything in HD, that would be crazy. I only plan on getting a couple of movies that I already own in some HD-DVD format (Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Star Wars movies). I doubt that I will worry about rebuying anything else in my 300+ DVD collection. I would think that most people would do the same and only get a couple of duplicates. It isn't like the HD players can't play DVDs so I am not sure where the assumption comes in that people are going to switch out all of their DVDs...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
medic8r #173218 08/21/07 04:07 PM
No, I think that "White and Nerdy" is better than "All about the Pentiums"

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
pmbuko #173219 08/21/07 04:10 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Quote:

No reason? You think profit and market dominance aren't a reason?

Okay, you've got me there. That's their reason, but you know what I meant. Neither of those things are nearly as likely this way.

I like how many times Blu-ray has won, though.

CV #173220 08/21/07 04:12 PM
Everyone seems to hate Sony but love Blu-ray. Why?

Ken.C #173221 08/21/07 04:13 PM
Sorry to go further OT, but I just shot a Weird Al concert last week and have to admit, it was much better than my expectations. My wife liked it to, and thought she'd hate it. Nice guy, too!

I'll consider myself a fan from now on..... even if I don't admit it to a lot of people!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
nickbuol #173222 08/21/07 04:13 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Quote:

As for rebuying everything in HD, that would be crazy. I only plan on getting a couple of movies that I already own in some HD-DVD format (Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Star Wars movies). I doubt that I will worry about rebuying anything else in my 300+ DVD collection. I would think that most people would do the same and only get a couple of duplicates. It isn't like the HD players can't play DVDs so I am not sure where the assumption comes in that people are going to switch out all of their DVDs...

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea, but I've already replaced several of my DVDs. Probably 1/3 of all of the HD discs I've bought are re-buys. I don't know why I'm bragging about this.

CV #173223 08/21/07 04:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Yeah, that's a pretty stupid idea, but I've already replaced several of my DVDs. Probably 1/3 of all of the HD discs I've bought are re-buys. I don't know why I'm bragging about this.

You silly, silly guy...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173224 08/21/07 04:25 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm going to agree with Ken; White and Nerdy is Al's best work.

On the topic at hand (OMG!), for me, to some extent it depends upon the depth of market adoption. I simply don't "re-watch" enough movies to warrant the capital cost of a HD/BR player AND purchase of the content. If the content becomes widely available (through rental, Netflix, etc.), that makes ALL the difference to me.

Regarding Nick's experience, I do wonder whether the difference would have been as profound on a smaller screen.

Of course, I need a HD display first.

nickbuol #173225 08/21/07 04:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I SO much wanted to get on the HD bandwagon after that.

Nick, Welcome to the dark side
I joined Netflix just to have the option of renting either verion of HD movies instead of purchasing them. The only HD or Blu-ray movies I buy now are ones that I know I'll watch over again and showcase for friends. Besides picture quality, what is many times overlooked is the superior sound quality of TruHD and PCM that HD movies provide.
Imho, life is to short to worry about the format war, I'm loving what both formats have to offer now.
If you do decide to make the jump, I would really look into a player that has Reon processing, the difference compared to my old upscaling player (Denon 3910) was like night and day, so much so that I'm watching many of my standard DVD's over again because of the picture quality of the upscaling.

HomeDad #173226 08/21/07 04:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I go old school on the Weird Al. Stuff like "That Boy Could Dance" and "Theme from Rocky 13". I had a bunch of his albums back in the 80's. I still tend to like those best, since that is what I grew up with. "Yoda" is of course popular with the star wars crowd as well. I went to a concert of his once years ago, and it was a good show. I've never seen someone change outfits so many times during a show.

Ken.C #173227 08/21/07 04:56 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

I hate both...do I count?

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
Hutzal #173228 08/21/07 05:33 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
posted at engadget

So by now you've heard that Paramount has dropped support for Blu-ray right? Good, so has a notable Hollywood director. Michael Bay -- the man behind "Transformers," "Bad Boys," "Pear Harbor," etc. -- just threw down with Paramount in his personal blog. In a forum post titled "Paramount pisses me off!", he states, "I want people to see my movies in the best formats possible. For them to deny people who have Blu-ray sucks! They were progressive by having two formats. No Transformers 2 for me!" That's right Mike, aim your PS3 right at their coffers!

-David
Ken.C #173229 08/21/07 05:37 PM
C
CV Offline
C
Quote:

I think they expect the higher capacity of Blu-ray to magically guarantee more content and higher-quality content from studios.

CV #173230 08/21/07 05:40 PM
There's a limit to how much content there is. I mean, how many of you really watched all of the content on X2? I got really bored about halfway through the 15th iteration of the cast talking about stuff which they knew nothing--"I think the special effects in this part are really cool..."

terzaghi #173231 08/21/07 06:05 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
replying to no one in particular...

To say that unconverted SD dvd is almost as good as HD is nothing more than wishful thinking. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I’m getting real tired of hearing that nonsense spoken just to validate someone’s stubbornness or whatever other reason they might have for “waiting for the war to be over”. As Michael said, “life’s too short”. Just get over it people, eat your pride and buy the dam machines. - Or don’t…. Just stop trying to convince the world that the differences are subtle……because they are not. The differences are SIGNIFICANT to point that a child can tell.

It’s not easy for me to look at my collection of 800+ dvds and know that they all SUCK in comparison to their HD/BR siblings. I have spent some serious money trying to get everything out of them that I can. I’m using a $3000 video processor with an optional $500 SDI module in it, and I’ve got $800 into an SDI modified Oppo 981. As much as I’d love to believe that my SD/DVD’s running through all that expensive hardware is “almost as good” as HD or BR, it doesn’t come close. Even the reference level DVD’s don’t hold a candle to a poorly transferred HD or BR dvd. Sorry, it ain’t happening.

To make the SD dvd’s even worse, when I watch one in a 2.35 ratio and expand that image to fill my scope screen, UGGG>>>> Not with BR or HD. Expending their image to fill the screen has NO effect on image quality.

Whatever reason a person may have for not investing in the new formats is theirs and I respect their decision. Just be honest about it and stop trying to convince the others who are sitting on the fence that the difference is anything other than what it truly is – SIGNIFICANT.

michael_d #173232 08/21/07 06:21 PM
Thanks for understanding, mdrew. I've seen the HD formats and can see the difference, but I have decided that it's not worth the price I'd have to pay to get it into my home. New receiver, new player, new TV -- practically everything but the Axioms needs replacing.

pmbuko #173233 08/21/07 06:26 PM
That's my issue, aside from the fair use and DRM issues, which I find to be significant.

michael_d #173234 08/21/07 06:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
mdrew and HomeDad speak the truth. I said it before and I'll say it again (even though I got accused of blasphemy the first time): for me, the upgrade to HD content from SD (even upconverted) was many times more impressive than the upgrade from BOSE to Axiom.

Let that sink in. Remember when you all said you were hearing music for the first time with Axioms? I agree, there's notes I never heard on the old system that I now hear in my Epic 80 HT setup. It rocks.

However, if you blow up SD, or DVD, to 88" and sit 12 feet away, as I do, it leaves a lot to be desired. SD is barely watchable, to the degree that I now only do SD upstairs on a 42" set, 14 feet away. Now, on the big screen, if you pop up some HD DirecTV or HD-DVD, then you can call all the neighbors over to count the stitches on the baseball. It is revolutionary. Talk about your WOW! factor - that is it.

Netflix offers plenty of HD-DVDs and Blu Ray discs for rental purposes. Just don't everybody up and join today or my wait times will go up.

medic8r #173235 08/21/07 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
well, for my part, I have not yet plunged into the HD era, I own a 720 HD Sanyo Z5, and watch SD DVDs only. For me it looks pretty good on some DVDs...that is because I have not seen any HD content on my projector yet tho. I am looking to get an HD DVD player this Christmas probably.

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
CV #173236 08/21/07 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

I think they expect the higher capacity of Blu-ray to magically guarantee more content and higher-quality content from studios.

But HD-DVD technology right now has more capacity. It has for some time now. We just aren't seeing it yet. Early this year, Blu-Ray was doing dual layers at 25GB a piece as a max capacity. HD-DVD announced a triple layer disc with 17GB per layer, or if you do your math, 51GB. So really HD-DVD has the "potential" for more capacity. But for now, there hasn't been a push to actually need the space above a dual layer HD-DVD, so they aren't putting movies on them.

What you quoted sounds like the spin that Sony put on their PS3 ads early on. "With Blu-Ray, you get nearly double the capacity as with other HD formats."

2008 should bring out the 100GB Blu-Ray disc capacity, but again, with 30GB being enough to do the HD movies with extras, we don't currently need that extra space.

So really, the space thing isn't a factor.... Yet... And by the time it is, we will have several more "layers" at our fingertips to tap into.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Hutzal #173237 08/21/07 10:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Has anyone here had a chance to compare HD against a good upconverting DVD player on a 720p display ?

For someone with an 1080p display going to HD now seems like a no-brainer -- we're past the initial teething problems and HD DVD prices are coming in line with regular DVDs.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
tomtuttle #173238 08/21/07 10:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Regarding Nick's experience, I do wonder whether the difference would have been as profound on a smaller screen.

I would agree. There have been charts floating around here (heck, I even snagged one and posted it elsewhere at one point) talking about what resolution you need for best picture quality, depending on screen size and viewing distance.

The bigger the screen and/or the closer you sit, the higher the resolution needs to be. If you are watching SD DVDs on a small to medium screen sitting 14 feet away, you won't necessarily see a big difference in resolution, but the image itself should be brighter, with more contrast levels, etc. I have a 720p Sanyo Z3 projector and a 104" screen at home. I think that I could benefit a lot by jumping to an HD disc format, even if I can "only" do up to 720p.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
bridgman #173239 08/21/07 10:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Has anyone here had a chance to compare HD against a good upconverting DVD player on a 720p display ?

If I could just "borrow" my friends HD-DVD player, I could tell you since I have a 720p Sanyo Z3 projector with a 104" screen. Not sure if I can make that happen as he knows that I would never give it back.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #173240 08/21/07 10:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Quote:

I would agree. There have been charts floating around here (heck, I even snagged one and posted it elsewhere at one point) talking about what resolution you need for best picture quality, depending on screen size and viewing distance.

The bigger the screen and/or the closer you sit, the higher the resolution needs to be. If you are watching SD DVDs on a small to medium screen sitting 14 feet away, you won't necessarily see a big difference in resolution, but the image itself should be brighter, with more contrast levels, etc. I have a 720p Sanyo Z3 projector and a 104" screen at home. I think that I could benefit a lot by jumping to an HD disc format, even if I can "only" do up to 720p.

Given the screen size, I'd say a jump to HD will yield marked improvements in detail. That is unless you're sitting 50 feet away or something

A: Epic 80 * 600 / Integra DTC-9.8 / A1400-8
V: Samsung HL-S6187W / Tosh HD-XA2 / PS3 / Oppo 970HD
haylo75 #173241 08/21/07 10:40 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Right.

My point was that it may NOT be useful or accurate to project the profound high-def experiences of projector owners to all users. If people are still using a 50" plasma and sitting 10 feet away, I believe that the incremental difference in resolution will not be as significant.

I think this is the chart originally contributed by jakeman from the www.carltonbale.com site. Good stuff.

Also perhaps worth noting is that not everybody has 20/20 vision

bridgman #173242 08/21/07 10:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

John, I've compared same title SD DVD's vs HD DVD's on my 720p Toshiba plasma using my Toshiba HD-XA2, as I've stated before the XA2 has the best upscaling I have ever seen, but the picture quality is still not even comparable to HD content.
A couple of the HD DVD's I own have the extras in standard content, I can switch from the extras to the movie in a blink due to the HD DVD's menu system, the results are to say the least dramatic in terms of how different the quality of the content is.

tomtuttle #173243 08/22/07 01:52 AM
veteran
veteran
Nice chart there Tom. Good for a general idea of the screen size / resolution scale.

A friend of mine brought over Hot Fuzz on SD DVD and we went back and forth between that and my HD DVD copy. The SD DVD was coming from an Oppo 970HD and the HD DVD was on a Tosh HD-XA2. The HD DVD PQ is top shelf and is a shining example of how much more detail can be gained when jumping from SD to HD. I even switched my HD DVD player to 720p for a bit and the difference was still just staggering.

A: Epic 80 * 600 / Integra DTC-9.8 / A1400-8
V: Samsung HL-S6187W / Tosh HD-XA2 / PS3 / Oppo 970HD
bridgman #173244 08/22/07 02:34 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

For someone with an 1080p display going to HD now seems like a no-brainer -- we're past the initial teething problems and HD DVD prices are coming in line with regular DVDs.

Yes…. I had the HD-X1 back when I was still using a Panasonic 900 (720P display).

Actually, the difference in resolution between 720P and 1080P is not nearly as noticeable an improvement as going from SD to HD. Sorry, I’m sure you didn’t want to hear that. HD on 720 looks fantastic.

Resistance is futile guys. To those who just can’t swing it financially, or don’t want to for their own personal reasoning, my very best, and sincere advise to you is to simply not watch it. Don’t be baited, don’t act like the cat and gaze at the store displays…. Just don’t do it. It’ll do what it was intended to do, cost you money and make others money.

I just spent a few hours messing with my display calibration using my "just got it in mail today disk", DVE HD. Holy crap, I can see the stinking lines now to make adjustments and be able to see what I’m actually changing. Great disk, much better than avia.

Re: DVE HD
michael_d #173245 08/22/07 03:18 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Quote:

I just spent a few hours messing with my display calibration using my "just got it in mail today disk", DVE HD. Holy crap, I can see the stinking lines now to make adjustments and be able to see what I’m actually changing. Great disk, much better than avia.

I've had that HD DVD of DVE in my shopping cart a few times, but I never went through with buying it. After you play with it some more, I wouldn't mind hearing more thoughts on it.

nickbuol #173246 08/22/07 03:27 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Quote:

But HD-DVD technology right now has more capacity.

[...]

So really, the space thing isn't a factor.... Yet... And by the time it is, we will have several more "layers" at our fingertips to tap into.

Yes, this is why I'm still pulling for HD DVD. More features (Managed Copy being the one I'm most interested in), half the DRM, plenty of space, cheaper players, and so far it's had more of the content I'm interested in. I can't see any advantages to Blu-ray.

CV #173247 08/22/07 08:17 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

I've had that HD DVD of DVE in my shopping cart a few times, but I never went through with buying it. After you play with it some more, I wouldn't mind hearing more thoughts on it.

CV,

I’ve used Avia for a few years now, but no other test disk. This DVE disk has more test patterns for video and I think a much better audio set up. It also has 6.1 verses Avia’s 5.1

When I first put the disk in, I put in the HD version and was quickly horrified because this side of the disk is just HD test patterns, audio set up and demonstration clips. It has no instructions on how to use the test patterns or the disk in general. While I know Avia, I’m no certified calibration guru, so most of the stuff on the disk was unless to me…. Hence the horror.

On a whim I flipped the disk over to the SD side and was pleased to find it had the tutorial on it. It has very basic information for beginners, but goes into more depth than Avia, and also has chapters for advanced users. It also has information for projector owners with different test patterns that work with LCD / DLP projectors, plus all the traditional display type including CRT.

One thing I’m not sure about is the LFE test tone. It’s about 10 db higher than the tones in my receiver. I’m not sure if it’s the disk, my meter, or the player. No matter, I just figured it was the disk and calibrated LFE ten db too high with the disk and it sounds great.

I’d move it from your list to your cart and get it coming. I had it in my list for a couple months and just recently bought it after realizing the new Avia disk may not ever be released at the rate they keep postponing it.

michael_d #173248 08/22/07 09:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ordered mine yesterday, I think every time Mike posts it cost me money either in wine or electronics

HomeDad #173249 08/23/07 01:27 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Quote:

Ordered mine yesterday, I think every time Mike posts it cost me money either in wine or electronics

Ha! If memory serves me correctly, YOU are the one who convinced me to buy my first HD player, which continues to lead me down the path of spending money…..

….the new Lamborn Cab is wonderful. Just freaking wonderful! LOL…

michael_d #173250 08/23/07 08:24 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll have to finally buy it.

CV #173251 08/23/07 02:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here is a link to an interview with the CTO of Paramount on why they went HD-DVD....
Click This Linky

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Re: HD DVD
nickbuol #173252 09/08/07 06:26 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Another interesting article from BetaNews: