Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Plasma v. HD-ILA
michael_d #173317 07/27/07 07:29 PM
N
devotee
devotee
N
Did professional calibrators come and modify the washing machines? Just wondering...

I havee the SONY SXRD 60 LCOS set, and I'm happy with the choice. I got a 60 inch screen at half the price of a similarly sized plasma, and it sits in my entertainment center perfectly. Your room setup and WAF requirements will probably determine the choice. Be careful with ambient light and plasmas. if you have a window or light source behind you, the reflections can be distracting.

Last edited by Nachosgrande; 07/27/07 07:32 PM.

Epic Grande Master 500 w/ on wall VP180
tomtuttle #173318 07/29/07 06:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Thank you, Mark. That is very helpful.

Do you know how much bulbs cost? Are they user-replaceable?

How can I decipher the JVC "codes" (do you know what the difference is between the FH and FN, for instance?)

Bulbs are about $200. The difference between the FH and FN series is that the FH series has gold plated connections and an RS-232 port. I got mine at Beach Camera. Delivery was free and they set it up for me and made sure it worked. Best Buy has the FN series, normally less expensive than the FH, for several hundred MORE than I got the FH at beach camera. BB was also the only place that had Sony, Mits, Samsung, and JVC all together to make it easier for a DLP / LCOS comparison. As others have commented here the JVC was the winner for me as well. The blacks were blacker and the rest of the colors just looked better IMO. With an HD feed, it's just stunning. Standard cable is anywhere from slightly to heavily grainy. QVC, and ESPN look really good for SD. ABC is horrible. I get only one HD station from an antenna, but it's an amazing picture.
The only real complaint I would register is that in scenes with any bright white, it looks like someone is shining a flashlight at you from behind a white sheet; you can see little specs of extra bright light.

Compared to the 60" 1080p plasma I was looking at, I really couldn't see the $4000 difference.

YMMV

Scott

Scott

My HT
tomtuttle #173319 07/31/07 01:17 AM
P
old hand
old hand
P
K, I looked over the SD footage on my 58" Panny plasma.

On regular SD channels, they look ok, not the greatest since this is SD afterall.

Channels that are meant to be in HD but down converted to SD signals have a better picture. One movie channel almost seemed DVD like.

I have a FTA receiver (Coolsat 5000) hooked up with component cable going straight to the plasma.

I have yet to see HD footage on my plasma which I will be getting soon.

The Wii, even without component cable, looks really good IMO (despite the resolution).

a401classic #173320 07/31/07 06:44 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
I asked the same question one year ago and ended up with the JVC 61FC97. Both are great sets, but the LCOS suited my room better and was less expensive. No regrets, other than I could have gone 70"

I compared the HDILA and Panny Plasma, side by side on the same feed in a Future Shop store and each handled different scenes slightly better than others. I couldnt say I liked one over the other.

The Sony XBR was a great pic also, but not enough to make me spend extra for the Sony name. The Sony A2000 was much worse with SDTV, the Samsung DLP's looked great, but I find DLP harsh on my eyes.

If I were to put it in a room that had lighting control the Plasma would be great, while in the current room with a lot of sunlight the glare from the protective screen on the plasma would bug me. Good luck with your decision, but most with the FH96 or FH/FN/FC97's are very satasfied as are the panny plasm owners.

Rock_Head #173321 07/31/07 07:03 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Quote:

Amie,
I'll recommend the Whirlpool Duet series washer and dryer package as well. We have had ours for about 2.5 years now and are very happy with them.

Wow! this is deja vu.

We moved into a place 2.5 years ago and had to do the whole appliances. I too can say the Whirlpool Duet set is loved by my "boss". There is a "whiter than white" cycle that she raves about. (BTW, the Kenmore HE3 series is the same set made by Whiripool)

My wife also loves the 61FC97 and Axiom setup for "the Sound of Music" or "buena Vista Social Club" DVD's we have.

Good luck with the purchases.

61FC97

Last edited by ctown; 07/31/07 07:05 PM.
ctown #173322 08/01/07 12:57 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Thank you for the ongoing comments. Much appreciated.

I stopped at BB today. What a total joke (as expected).

They had the JVC's on display, but the color looked terrible. Compared to the Sony and Samsung models, the JVC's were very green; to the point that they looked maladjusted (quick, get JP). I didn't want to take time to really engage Heather and her crew, especially after my conversation with Jason about the Panasonic plasmas.

Me: do you have the 58" Panasonic plasma set up?
J: yes, it's right here.
Me: No, the older, 720p model.
J: Well, there's no reason to have it set up too, because the picture is the same as this one.
Me: But, it costs $2,000 less. If the picture is the same, why would anyone pay for the 1080p model?
J: The only way you see a difference is with Blu-Ray.
Me: Surely, the 1080p set scales any input to fit it's native resolution?
J: no, it just displays 720.
Me: Okay. Thanks. Bye.

The Samsung and Sony RPTV's looked better to me, but who the heck can tell anything in that place? The Samsung plasmas looked really good, too.

More research needed. But I might be able to get a good price on the JVC there, because they probably don't sell very many of them looking like that.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
a401classic #173323 08/01/07 04:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
One of the models is made exclusively for big box stores, hence the lack of gold plated connectors (yep, I know) and such. This is the FN97. Light engine, bulb, etc are all exactly the same. Bezels are slightly different. I believe there is one just for Costco and Walmart as well but that's not confirmed on my part.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #173324 08/02/07 04:58 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
I have the 61FC97 and yes its all the same but with no gold plated connectors, RS-232 port, centre channel input.

The JVC needs some adjusting out of the box for sure, but I found similar experiences when comparing side by side.

Sony xBR, looked deep, dark blues on ocean scene

JVC HDILA looked to have brighter more greenish hue to the water, which looked more realistic of the algae filled ocean scene it was showing.

Panasonic Viera plasma, looked similar to the JVC, but not as bright.

The Sony looked great and deep blue until I realized that the scene of a seal playing in Monterey bay should show green water. The factory settings on the JVC require the black level to be reduced to -23 to get true black after I used my Avia setup disc.

Dont compare the Sony A2000, a pro calibrator told me the video processor is inferior to that of the Panny, JVC, Mits and Samsung.

The JVC is a great picture, but so are the Sony XBR, Panasonic plasma and mits dlp.

Here is a review 61FN97 review

Its like speakers. All personal preference. If I wanted to spend more, have a thin set and could get it away from my picture window, I would have gone Panny Plasma. I saved the $$ and the RPTV fits in my bright living room better than the plasma would have, so that was my choice.

good luck.

Last edited by ctown; 08/02/07 04:59 PM.
ctown #173325 08/02/07 07:39 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
ctown, thank you so much for your comments and the link.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
ctown #173326 08/02/07 07:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
"Bang for the buck" was a primary concern. That and PQ were #1. 1080P v. 720P, the "look at the cool plasma" effect and the rest were somewhere below that. As far as "bang for the buck" the plasmas and LCDs just can't compete with a good RPTV.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters