Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Plasma v. HD-ILA
LightninJoe #173327 08/02/07 08:03 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Yeah Joe, the Plasma/ LCD owners will say that the cost less to operate in the long run when you factor in bulb replacement costs. I love my RPTV too and a new bulb every 5 years wont break me. 50" plasma prices are coming down so the bang for the buck is getting better.

LCD still has slower response time than LCOS or plasma, so being a sports and action junkie I never considered it.

ctown #173328 09/25/07 05:18 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Well, in my usual fashion, I've succeeded in belaboring the decision long enough that Mrs. Tuttle has been reduced to "buy whatever makes you happy and makes you shut the hell up".

Budget has been reduced. I'm now looking at ~$1500 rather than ~$2k. Likewise, my expectation about screen size has been tempered - a 50" plasma or a 55-57" RPTV.

I've read and looked a lot.

Mrs. Tuttle likes the picture - and especially the viewing angle - of the Sony 55A2020 ($1,599 at Costco). I must admit, it looks good to me, too - much better than the Samsung and Mitsubishi models.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with either the Sony or the JVC. There's really no point in me spending extra for a plasma in the current room, and a future upgrade to front projection is probably only a matter of time (and sheetrock...). My wife seems to seriously not care about the form factor, since even a 16:9 LCoS TV will be noticeably smaller than our current set.

I have questions!

1. Viewing angle. This is one of the terribly seductive parts of the Sony, although I've been unable to really critically examine the JVC in this regard. How do you JVC owners feel about the off-axis video fidelity?

2. Inputs. To recap, I have to do any non-component video switching in the TV (at least for a while). I'll have the following inputs:
  • Oppo 980 (HDMI)
  • DirecTV (HDMI or Component - I still have the SD model at this time, which might be only S-Video)
  • Wii (Component)
  • HTPC (for browsing, games, music management, etc. Currently using a 15" LCD for control/text. It is a bummer.). I'm not sure if my video card outputs DVI, but I definitely have VGA and component. Problem is, I understand that I really need to use one of the two HDMI ports for the PC in order to get 1080 resolution.

Since I'll need to do video switching in the box, I have a couple questions. Are the inputs on the JVC discrete or do you have to cycle through them? I'll be wanting to build macros in the MX-700 to get "absolutely" to a particular input.

My plan would be to use the component video from the DirecTV box (since it could only be 720p or 1080i, right?) and reserve the other HDMI input for the PC. Does that seem right?

Thanks for your counsel.

- Tom

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #173329 09/26/07 01:31 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Quote:

Well, in my usual fashion, I've succeeded in belaboring the decision long enough that Mrs. Tuttle has been reduced to "buy whatever makes you happy and makes you shut the hell up".[snip]
- Tom

HAHAHAHA! I was complaining about the Lifestyle 25 we had for months. She didn't budge. I even thought about "accidentally" disconnecting some cables - but couldn't bring myself to go that low Then one night, I fell asleep with the Axiom page on the laptop. In the morning I got the "if you wanted it that badly, just buy the damn speakers!"

I actually bought Samsung's 6756 at Costo so I can't really answer your JVC related questions. Enjoy!

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
tomtuttle #173330 09/26/07 07:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

1. Viewing angle. This is one of the terribly seductive parts of the Sony, although I've been unable to really critically examine the JVC in this regard. How do you JVC owners feel about the off-axis video fidelity?
Quote:

For all the seats in my room, which are about 12-14 feet away and cover a ~90* angle, there is little difference. If I go to where the next seat would be either left or right, the brightness drops off rapidly, but it's still a good pic. Keep in mind this covers a line of seats that woud be 20+ feet long and ~110* total angle. Realistically I wouldn't sit this far off center anyway - the surround balance would be off more than the PQ. I've also got a Samsung 40" LCD in another room that has an amazing viewing angle - 140*

Quote:

Since I'll need to do video switching in the box, I have a couple questions. Are the inputs on the JVC discrete or do you have to cycle through them? I'll be wanting to build macros in the MX-700 to get "absolutely" to a particular input.

- Tom

If there is a way to go directly to an input, I have not found it yet, but truth be told I also have not spent that much time looking. I also have not tried to program my MX-500 to deal with scrolling to the desired input.

Scott

Scott

My HT
a401classic #173331 09/27/07 06:02 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Tom,

Try the files section at Remote Central for the JVC (don't forget that a manufacturer will use the same codes for different models). The Pronto MX files are here and the Pronto .ccf files are here . You might also try the files for projectors.

Additionally, check/search in the Universal Remote Control forum and the Discrete Code Hunter forum .

If you opt for the Sony, there is a wealth of files, most notably this one (you only need to find video input 8 in a newer model's file).

Also, for the Sony, you can disable the VID inputs you aren't using. I suspect a similar functionality is available for the JVC.

Just to add some spice these folks get consistently excellent marks as etailers. Take a look at the commercial models - TH-50PH10UK @ $1448 and the TH-58PH10UK for $2090. They look to close enough for you to pick up.

Whatever you choose, the MX is up to it.

Ray3 #173332 09/27/07 09:14 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Thanks, gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Ray, I know I can always count on you. However, the commercial Panasonics have a couple of fatal flaws for my installation. First, I'm not going to be wall-mounting the display (at least until the furniture or our address get rescrambled). So, I do need a pedestal base. Second, I really need at least one (if not two) HDMI inputs (for the Oppo and the PC). I feel like - by the time I add extra input blades to the standard load and figure out a mounting solution - I might as well have gotten the consumer model.

I could easily drive to visual apex, but then I'd have to pay sales tax, which may or may not be more than the shipping from somebody else.

Anybody have wisdom about buydig.com?

The JVC apparently HAS discrete input codes, but NOT native to its own remote control.

Thanks again.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
a401classic #173333 09/27/07 10:14 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
When I compared the JVC to SXRD I couldnt notice any difference in viewing angle. I'm perfectly satasfied with off axis viewing on my JVC, but I really am just sitting 30 degrees off when I'm on the sofa.

tomtuttle #173334 09/28/07 01:54 AM
shareholder in the making
No personal wisdom about buydig, Tom, but if you check resellerratings.com, it has a quite high rating.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #173335 09/28/07 11:12 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Good point John. resellerratings is always one of my stops in the shopping process.

Ray3 #173336 09/29/07 12:24 PM
Post deleted by me.

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 09/29/07 12:30 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup