Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Newbie HT Purchase - Advice Appreciated
funkfuzz #173563 08/02/07 01:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You're very welcome. Hope they'll be of some assistance.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #173564 08/02/07 02:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You've received a ton of great advice already so I'll try leave the technical out of it and come at it from another angle.

For a total FUN perspective. I think you would have more initial wow factor if you go with the best fronts you can afford with an equally impressive sub to start.

If the M80s would mean waiting for the sub or start robbing the speaker fund because you need a bigger receiver, I think the M60s would safely keep you immune from 'upgraditis' for a long time in a room of that size. I'm an admitted newb but I'm still overwhelmed by mine.

Anyway, I'm digressing. My point point was that from the "Fun Factor" point of view, well chosen fronts and really impressive sub will really pump up the initial fun factor more than any other upgrade.

A center for dialog clarity is nice but I could wait.
Surrounds are very cool but not all movies truly utilize them as well as they could and finally for music, stereo and a sub is still pretty sweet and often preferred by some.

You can get some OK surround effects from whatever you have left over for speakers, but great fronts and a good sub are really what make your visitor's mouths drop.

My humble opinion, of course. Just another angle from a different perspective.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #173565 08/02/07 02:32 PM
M
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
M
Great advice, Murph.

Murph #173566 08/02/07 04:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I would agree with Murph and Mojo; there's nothing more impressive than a good LFE session. Personally, I'd try to stretch the budget a little and get the M60's and a VTF-3.

I'm still confused about the surround placement, though.

I understand the ones on the beam are behind you, which is good. I'm not sure moving them farther apart is going to make a huge difference, and you won't know for sure until you acquire the QS8's anyway. But then you mentioned that the "side surrounds for 7.1" are also wired. Typically, a 5.1 setup uses "side" speakers either just in front of or just behind the listener, and a 7.1 system adds "rear" speakers behind the listener. So, before you go relocating the speakers on the beam, can you draw me a map or take a picture or something so I can better understand the layout of the room, particularly where ALL the speaker wiring is located? I'm a visual learner In other words, maybe you want to use the wiring for what you thought were the 6/7 channels as the 4/5 channels depending upon where they are located.

I'm sure the Onkyo will be fine. My experience was that, when I bought my low-end Denon several years ago, I thought I'd "never need or want more power" but now I'm getting itchy in that regard and my upgrade path is more expensive because I'd need to acquire both an amp AND a new processor.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Murph #173567 08/02/07 06:08 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
@Murph - that is very sound advice, because if we're not having fun, then what the heck are we doing?! I really appreciate your perspective and agree 100%.

The more I look at it, the more I think the M60's and a great sub would be a good start, as opposed to getting the M80's alone for now.

@Tomtuttle - I probably couldn't afford the VTF-3 right now. What about the VTF-2 MK3 / M60 combo? More in my price range.

Here's a schematic on my theatre area.

If it doesn't come up, click here: (http://shire.smugmug.com/gallery/3246319#179718587-O-LB)

Hope this helps you get a better idea of my situation.

Also, as I'm looking at bang-for-buck vs. long-term satisfaction, I keep bouncing back-n-forth between this discussion, and getting a complete xSeries 5.1 set up for the price of 2 M60's and a sub here. Since I haven't heard ANY of these speakers yet, AV123 or Axiom, and I can't really test them out, could somebody tell my just how much better is the setup we're discussing here in comparison to getting:

X-MTM (pair)
X-LS (pair)
X-CS
and a HSU sub
link: http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

...all for about $1400.

Because, for the M60's and the HSU VTF-2 MK3 Sub, I'm looking at about $1400 as well, but without the surrounds and center.

I'm pretty sure even my noobie mind is right in thinking the Axiom M60 is better than the xSeries MTM's, but I'm wondering is a night and day type of difference? Or is it a minimal difference?

Thanks for putting up with my indecisiveness and possibly, my total ignorance here.

funkfuzz #173568 08/02/07 07:33 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Whoa. That is one heckuva nice diagram. Hope you didn't just tool that up for this little conversation. That's got to be a fantastic room!

On the AV123 v. Axiom question, there are a few things I'd like to assert.

1. It's not an apples v. apples comparison. The x-mtm is more comparable to the M50 than to the M60 in size and driver complement. The M50's could also be an excellent choice for you.
2. Nobody has heard the x-mtm yet. It's not available. So, there's no way for ANYBODY to "know" how YOU might think it compares to the M60. I would say that - in most things in life - you get what you pay for. With both Axiom and AV123, most customers feel that they got good value (i.e. a bit MORE than they paid for). So, it's going to come down to your personal preference and your assessment of value. Arrange auditions if you can.
3. For HT use, the Axiom QS surrounds are - I believe - far superior in design and performance to just about any small, directional bookshelf speaker.
4. Shipping is free at Axiom. It is NOT free at AV123.

Regarding the sub - you might want to consult the folks at Hsu. You could always start with a VTF-2 and then add a second one if you find that you need "more".

Regarding speaker placement, thanks for the diagram. (barrage of disclaimers follows). There are still unknowns. Personal tastes vary. The room is important. You don't know until you try. Only your opinion matters. There are several different approaches that you might find satisfying. A rolling stone gathers no moss. Kilroy was here. Wait...

As I understand your room, I'm not sure that ANY of the specified "surround" locations are really optimal.

You're pretty much locked in (and nicely so) on the display and seating.

Do I understand correctly that the bar is basically all at/below bar height? That is, there are no "upper cabinets" or walls hanging over the "bar" section that juts into the room, right?

First off, I think this room SCREAMS for 7.1 (eventually). I would absolutely plan for a pair of REAR QS speakers (or even maybe M2's) on the long wall parallel with the pool table. That implementation is going to make your 25% music time go from blah to great. It's also going to fill out the HT experience significantly since it is such a big room.

As to the surrounds, that's a tough one.

I think positions 1 and 2 are too far forward to do you any good. I think positions 3 and 4 being right on top of the listening position could be problematic, too.

The QS surrounds are pretty forgiving in placement, and given your room, are an especially good choice.

It's not absolutely essential that the surrounds are symmetrically placed relative to the listening position. Your receiver will have settings for you to calibrate the distance and volume. Symmetry is good, but I don't see how you can make it work. The low ceiling height is going to make it problematic if not impossible for you to ceiling mount the speakers; I think having the QS8's wall mounted will be a much more elegant approach.

You could put the surrounds on the back wall (spaced wider than the "rear" speakers).

I would try the right surround on the wall to the left of the opening to the office over by the bar.

The left surround is more problematic. At the end of the wall with the cubby door might work, but it might have to be a bit low because of the beam. Or, you could try either side of the door on the wall where the stairwell comes down, but the wall with the cubby door is going to get in the way.

The existing wired speaker locations would work really well if your viewing distance was 6' instead of 12'.

tomtuttle #173569 08/02/07 07:57 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Quote:

AV123 v. Axiom question

I think you nailed it on the head. "You get what you pay for".

Quote:

Do I understand correctly that the bar is basically all at/below bar height? That is, there are no "upper cabinets" or walls hanging over the "bar" section that juts into the room, right?

-- Yes. Correctomundo.

I could move the seat forward closer to the screen but I'm not too thrilled on the prospect of getting dizzy by sitting so close to the screen.

I echo your idea with putting a surround on the bar on the wall near the office, as well as putting the back surrounds near the pool table. It would actually look quite nice and I could run the cable (I think) with relative ease. The problem child, indeed, is the left surround. As you noted, the cubby hole wall is rather close to the seating area, and if I put it on the wall to the left of the pool table (near the door there), it might get lost...maybe not though... the beam won't be blocking sound too bad, it's more a distance issue.

I love it when my house SCREAMS 7.1. That's what I'm talkin' about! I realize the potential is huge for this room and that why I toiled over that diagram (not a big deal.. I'm a computer geek).

Long story short, it's the speakers, and a limited budget to start with. I'm now eyeing the Yamaha V659 as per your recommendation. The price is right and it might, just might squeeze out enough *umph* for the M80's which I know Mojo has championed a few times in this thread.

And I appreciate your words on AV123 vs. Axiom. I'm strongly leaning towards Axiom (it's why I'm posting here, not there), but I wanted to get some honest feedback on it all.

My rookie plan:

Yamaha V659 (Now), Mits HD1000u (Now),
M60's (Now), VTF-3 (Now), QS8's (later), v150 (later), M22's/QS8's (later) for the 7.1 setup.

I'll see how my current surrounds stack up with that setup until I can afford the rest.

Thanks for *Volunteering* the feedback Tom (get it?) Anyone else have some ideas on that diagram?

Sincerely,

Kilroy

funkfuzz #173570 08/02/07 08:35 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Yeah, I get it Thanks.

Really, I don't know enough about the Yamaha receiver line. I know mdrew has the 661, but I don't know squat about the 659. Do your due diligence with multiple authoritative sources.

I wouldn't move the seating closer.

Quote:

Yamaha V659 (Now), Mits HD1000u (Now),
M60's (Now), VTF-3 (Now)

Great plan. Your budget's busted, huh?

Welcome aboard.

tomtuttle #173571 08/02/07 08:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

2. Nobody has heard the x-mtm yet. It's not available.

I've heard the x-mtms at an av123 get together at the end of June, along with several other av123 offerings.

Quote:

So, there's no way for ANYBODY to "know" how YOU might think it compares to the M60

And there in lies the rub. Even though I've heard both speakers in question (mtms and M60s) there is no way I could predict how you would perceive the sound of either, or which you would prefer. Nobody could.

I'm going to make a rather controversial statement (be nice, now ). I think a great many of the speakers available today, both internet and B&M brands, are pretty darn good speakers, and the differences between them are minimal. Perhaps, to younger, more educated ears those differences are "night and day," and we all very well might have preferences. But, I believe that the great majority of us laymen would be content with many of the respected brands and models available.

The last time I heard M60s was in January and, having heard the mtms a month ago, there is no way I could reasonably compare the two. However, I can tell you that both speakers sounded good to me. I didn't find the MTMs particularly attractive (big, boxy, and bulky). Also, they were "mules" in an unattractive flat black finish. The finished product will, I suspect, be more attractive. And, though they sounded good, I actually preferred the x-sls and, particularly, the x-statiks. YMMV

Quote:

3. For HT use, the Axiom QS surrounds are - I believe - far superior in design and performance to just about any small, directional bookshelf speaker.

I'm in complete agreement with this. The QS8s are the best surrounds I've ever heard. I prefer them to the dipolar Rocket RSS300 surrounds, though the 300s do a good job.

Quote:

4. Shipping is free at Axiom. It is NOT free at AV123.

Well, the cost of shipping is included in the stated price of the Axioms, and it's not at av123.

Quote:

Regarding the sub - you might want to consult the folks at Hsu. You could always start with a VTF-2 and then add a second one if you find that you need "more".

HSU, SVS, Axiom, and ACI, among others, all make excellent subs (I'd include av123, but their really interesting, Mark Seaton designed subs aren't available yet). But again, no one can predict what you would prefer. IMHO, as long as you stick to a respected brand, the only way you can go wrong is if you choose a sub that is too small for the size of your room and you end up overdriving it.

tomtuttle #173572 08/02/07 08:41 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Meant to say 661...yeah... budget's destroyed.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters